Thread: The Many Holidays of Every Day

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 18th

Today, we've got four holidays and a single birthday.

National Roast Suckling Pig Day
    International Migrants Day
    Republic Day (Niger)
    Feast of Our Lady of Solitude
    Steven Spielburg's Birthday

National Roast Suckling Pig Day is the Veal Day for pigs; slaughter a youngin' pig, roast and eat it... But in all honesty, I don't give a damn 'bout this holiday. I don't care for roast pig; I want me some bacon!

International Migrants Day is an off-take of Human Rights Day, but is more valid than the generic sub-category holiday I dislike. We all know that aliens are hardly appreciated in most, if not all countries. Racism is of course, the main source of why migrants are so poorly treated. While it ain't half as terrible as it used to be (foreigners getting off boats are no longer pelted with trash and [large] stones... for the most part =/), if any of you have heard of that new TV show All-American Muslims and how so many advertisers are pulling out because of their prejudices, you all know that the world still ain't a free place where any ethnicity can go anywhere they want without hate following 'em. I've always been a civil rights dude, so this gets my holiday pick of the day.

Niger's Republic Day celebrates the same day in 1958 that Niger had established it's own government, rather than being controlled completely by France. They didn't gain their independence just yet, but this was certainly the first step towards doing so.

Feast of Our Lady of Solitude is a Mexican holiday celebrating the blessed virgin Mary's solitude and faith on Holy Saturday in waiting for the rebirth of her son, Jesus Christ (wasn't expecting me to use his actual name, eh?! :P). It wasn't the most popular feast day until the 17th century where in Oaxaca, Mexico, a pack mule loaded up with stuff wandered into town without an owner anywhere in sight, and collapsed dead at a bare plot of land within Oaxaca. Inside the packaging it carried was a lavishly jeweled statue of Our Lady of Solitude studded with diamonds and a large pearl, among other things. The townsfolk considered it a sign, and built a church where the donkey had perished. That's certainly an interesting tale...

Steven Spielburg; famous for his blockbuster movies and taking part in developing quite a few other grand movies and even cartoons (Spielburg played a major hand in Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain, for example). 'Course, we all know 'bout his modern films' critique controversy in that he just does the same old shit time and again, and his works no longer shine like they once did. I'm not a lover of modern films, so I wouldn't know, though...

... I do however, know that E.T. the Video Game was balls terrible.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    Steven Spielburg; famous for his blockbuster movies and taking part in developing quite a few other grand movies and even cartoons (Spielburg played a major hand in Animaniacs and Pinky & the Brain, for example). 'Course, we all know 'bout his modern films' critique controversy in that he just does the same old shit time and again, and his works no longer shine like they once did. I'm not a lover of modern films, so I wouldn't know, though...
    I agree that modern films are not as good as the films made 2 decades ago. Although I still want to see Steven Spielberg's Tintin movie. However I don't think it would be as good as the graphic novel.

Spoiler Alert!

Love, Peace, and Comfort! The_Man's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234

Niger's Republic Day
    That's a demeaning word. I never new Niger was a country

Brawl 2192 8924 8771

Goldeneye 368263462467

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    The racist term has two Gs, mah boi. ^^; It's roots are indeed based on the country Niger's name.

Niger is also pronounced as nigh, as in the word nigh, and jer, as in jerk. Completely different bro.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    It's roots are indeed based on the country Niger's name.
    I was fairly certain the term was of spanish origin, although I never did bother to research that.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    ^ Well, I'm not sure what culture decided to create the term, but I was referencing that the word itself came from the country's name.

Post of the day encroaching on the thread.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 19th

Today, we've got four holidays and a single birthday.

Hard Candy Day
    Look for an Evergreen Day
    International Day For South-South Cooperation
    Christmas Greetings From Space Anniversary
    Criss Angel's Birthday

Hard Candy Day celebrates this type of candy that's been 'round since ancient times. You'd be hard pressed to say you hate all hard candy; even I am, as I have a rather potent distaste for hard candy. If it ain't caramel or somethin' the rich consume, I'd probably have a DO NOT WANT! moment.

Look for an Evergreen Day is the preferred day for those who cut down their own Christmas trees to find one. Though, finding the right evergreen can be an annoying process if you don't have your own on your property. That, and the mess they leave behind is quite unappealing... And on a completely random note, this is true particularly for myself, since if I'm not in a public area that requires footwear, inside the house or outside, I'm barefoot (well, unless there's snow). Durable feet ftw. Oh, and here's a funfact for ya's: Christmas trees have been sold in the US commercially for the holiday, for over 150 years now. Who would'a thought people were buying trees for Christmas... Wasn't that hard to find a forest you could take trees from for free back in the 19th century.

International Day For South-South Cooperation is another day officially endorsed by the UN about helping developing countries catch up with modern times. 'Course, that's a good thing, so even if it's a copypasta holiday, it doesn't deserve a gtfo.

Christmas Greetings From Space Anniversary is what it is; way back in 1958, President Dwight Eisenhower broadcasted a Christmas greeting from a satellite in space. Yes, 'Merica gets a holiday for this... -_-;

Mr. Mindfreak is an illusionist and nothing more. A grand performer moreso than your average magician, but nothing more.

T'is the season to have little to type about...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 20th

Today, we've got a good six holidays.

Sangria Day
    Fried Shrimp Day
    Go Caroling Day
    Cathode Ray Tube Day
    Hanukkah
    Mudd Day
    International Human Solidarity Day

Not a fan of punch, so feel free to celebrate Sangria Day without me. Pour the wine, add a fruit of choice, and mix in a bit of brandy for the real sangria. 'Course, there're a million different variations like every other alcoholic beverage, but for me it was always go with the original (or very close to it), or **** it all together. Do not want sangria, so personally, **** it all together.

Fried Shrimp Day: OMNOMNOMNOMNOM! I love seafood, and like many people who don't, also love shrimp. Fried, it is also delicious-- Wait, didn't we have this food day already... ?? Or am I imagining it? =/

Go Caroling Day? I'll pass... But disregarding my scrooge-ness, caroling has been around for quite some time, and wasn't even a Christmas thing from the get-go. Caroling came into existence back around the 12th century of England. They were originally songs sung by entire communities in celebration of other important times, like harvest festivals and the like. It took a century for carols to become Christmas-related, not that other holiday carols were to disappear quickly.

Cathode Ray Tube Day celebrates the CRT; an abbreviation you might be familiar with. Back before everyone was raving over HD TV and CoD was on the mind of every fanboy faggot, this was the high-end TV technology. But nowadays, you'll be hard pressed to find a CRT TV brand new. LCD, plasma... the CRT had it's pay day, but now it's a technology of old (and by old, I mean a decade ago... lolspeedoftechnologyevolution). Being that I've wasted so many years of gaming on a CRT type TV, this is my holiday pick of the day! =D

Hanukkah, that Jewish holiday with the nine pronged candelabrum and traditions most of us have no ****ing clue about; I'm no exception... Enjoy your usual wiki page.

Mudd Day celebrates widely unknown Dr. Samuel A. Mudd, born in 1833. As a doctor, he made it his life to help anyone knocking on heaven's door; including John Wilkes Booth. Yes, that's right, Dr. Mudd helped Abraham Lincoln's assassin survive and escape captivity (for a bit longer, at least). He was sentenced to life in prison for aiding the president's murderer. HOWEVER, Booth was disguised when he asked Mudd for medical assistance, and Mudd had no idea his patient was the most notorious criminal of the century. Luckily, President Andrew Johnson pardoned him after four nasty years in prison. It's a shame this innocent man wasn't pardoned sooner, but it's better than the utter lack of pardonings of late... ohai Texas

International Human Solidarity Day celebr-- wait a damn minute, we already had a day of solidarity for a certain ethnicity (... we did, right?)! **** the old one, it gets a GTFO. Out with the stupid and in with the more relevant.

Sorry for the late post today. Been working on it since five-ish, but interruptions (and me being rather vulnerable to distractions today, for whatever reason...) kept it from being finished 'till now.

Anywho, what sort of TV(s) do y'all have? Anything worth bragging about?

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    add a fruit of choice, and mix in a bit of brandy for the real sangria.
    Then what the hell have I been drinking this past week? First I've ever heard of adding to it.

Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK
    Anywho, what sort of TV(s) do y'all have? Anything worth bragging about?
    I've used the same TV for over a decade and do not plan on changing that.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Today's post was lost; forgot to post it earlier, and Firefox crashed while I slept. =/ I'll be re-writing it soon.

Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    Then what the hell have I been drinking this past week? First I've ever heard of adding to it.
    Ah, so you drink? Another random funfact 'bout WiiAssasin revealed. I might explode with excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    I've used the same TV for over a decade and do not plan on changing that.
    No point in replacing what's more than good enough as is. My personal TV's also at least a decade old. Probably gonna end up dieing on me soon...

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Ads