December 21st

Today, we've got a good six holidays.

Hamburger Day
    Kiwi Fruit Day
    Forefathers' Day
    National Homeless Persons' Remembrance Day
    Winter Solstice
    Humbug Day

Hamburger Day celebrates this beef-starring sammich we all know and love. While the burger we know today hasn't existed for all-that long, minced beef has been consumed by the rich as a rare delicacy as long ago as the 15th century. A sandwich with beef first appeared near the end of the 19th century; however, quite a few sources claim to of been the first to pioneer this, so there's no concrete evidence who created the first real American burger. Two decades or so later, Walter Anderson invented the burger bun hamburgers are known for; five years later, he also co-founded White Castle, the restaurant being the first to sell burgers en masse. 'Merica's passion for burgers from then on was history, what with McDonalds showing up another two decades later.

Kiwi Fruit Day celebrates the Kiwi, a delicious fruit of Chinese origin with some crazy ****ing names. To name a few, you've got the "hairy bush" fruit, and the "Chinese dick weed" fruit. There're very few foods I'll eat with the kiwi as the star flavor, but for whatever reason, I enjoy 'em plain far more. So who wants a kiwi burger?!

Forefathers' Day celebrates the landing of the Pilgrims at Plymouth, Massachusetts back in 1620. We all (should) know that Pilgrims came to the New World in search of religious freedom; that is true. But what most people don't know, is that these Brownist English people fled to Holland in search of religious freedom, and then elected to go to the New World in fear of losing their cultural identity among all the other Holland-goers who fled there for religious freedom as well. Thus, these people asked Englishmen interested in investing towards the colonization of the New World if they would be the ones to populate and establish said colonies. Business was business, and the first Pilgrim colonies were born, starting on the day this holiday celebrates.

National Homeless Persons' Remembrance Day is the day to remember those who've been screwed out of a home for whatever reason. With today's piss-poor economy, the amount of homeless is gettin' higher and higher... But, to be honest, I'm less concerned 'bout the homeless of 'Merica. Beggars can make more than we do in a day, and some people actually choose to be homeless here for that reason; or even worse, pretend to be homeless... ****ing despicable, no?

Today is Winter Solstice; the shortest day and longest night of the year, due to any given planet's axial tilt causing it's polar hemisphere to be tilted the farthest away from it's sun as possible. Being that this is science on a solar system level, the day isn't always the 21st, but usually occurs between the 21st and 23rd of December. After tonight, days will be slowly gettin' longer and nights shorter... sadface. ;_; My love of the night aside, quite a few cultural holidays of olde tend to fall on winter solstice, so it used to actually be an important day.

Humbug Day; baaaaahhhh, humbug... I never was one for commercialized holidays, so starting today, I can mope around about how much I hate Christmas! =D ... Or that is what I'd do if I was still a complete and utter scrooge. So instead, I'll take this day to rage at how THIS CHRISTMAS ISN'T ****ING WHITE ARGGGGGGHHHHHH!

Damn you memory and Mozilla, conspiring together to make me write this twice... =/

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 22nd

Today, we've got four holidays; as well as a rather "special" fifth.

Wiichat's Change Your Avatar Into a Fire Emblem .Gif Day
    National Date Nut Bread Day
    Ann & Samantha Day
    National Haiku Poetry Day
    Yule

Wiichat's Change Your Avatar Into a Fire Emblem .Gif Day is the day to express your love for that epic strategy RPG series Fire Emblem. Change your avatar to your .gif of choice for exactly 24 hours; give or take if the amount of time doesn't work for you (nobody will complain for the avatar change if it stays for a few extra hours). Google and FEPlanet will serve you well for this purpose. Do NOT use a .gif already picked by another person. Credit to Mr. MR for the name, credit for the officialization of the day goes to me.

National Date Nut Bread Day: dates, delicious. Nut bread, amazing when fresh. Combine the two for a sub-category holiday that can GTFO...

Ann & Samantha Day is a holiday of commemoration taking place on Winter Solstice and Summer Solstice, celebrating the two youngins Anne Frank and Samantha Smith. Both are writers of amazingly powerful pieces that touched the hearts of many, both are victims of deaths in their youth they simply could not of deserved. I've read 'em both way back when as a kid, and even in the face of Fire Emblem, I have to give this my holiday pick of the day.

National Haiku Day is the day to write your own Haiku, a time honored poetical tradition from Japan. While the old version of Haiku was rather complex and only the most seasoned of literature-raised poets could create good ones, the modern Haiku (especially the foreign version) is easy enough for anyone to write. If you're srs 'bout writing a modern Haiku, here ya go. If you don't care 'bout the finer points, just pay attention to the syllable rules in step 3 and get to it. For those who don't know, the Wapanese in my signature's spoiler is Haiku. If you're curious what it says, Google translate is your friend.

Yule is a festive celebration that existed before Christmas; Xmas takes quite a bit of inspiration from it, actually. Yule is an incredibly old, pagan festival celebrated on/around Winter Solstice, primarily by Germanic people. However, a lot of the details seem to be sketchy... Can't really make heads or tails of it myself. =/ Read 'bout it all here.

Anyone besides me deeply disturbed the 'Karp mod is only half 'Karp for a day?
    Last edited by Splash_King; 12-22-2011 at 08:04 PM.
    Mr. MR likes this.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    This is the biggest FE sprite data base I could find: http://www.feplanet.net/sprites-arch...tle-animations

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Your FE patronage is appreciated, MR.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    There's no Oliver gifs anywhere. They can't capture his beauty.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: F.E.A.R., Skyrem.
    Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 23rd

Today, we've got a solid six holidays.

Pfeffernüsse Day
    Wrap It Up Day
    Festivus
    Humanlight Celebration
    The Emperor's Birthday
    Night of the Radishes

If anyone knows what Pfeffernüsse Day celebrates, I'd be impressed. The pfeffernuesse is simply a type of Dutch biscuit, often including nuts. Before Christmas and Sinterklaas were one and the same, these were often eaten on the latter holiday. Though, unless you deviate from the original recipe's simplicity, these aren't anything delicious to boast about.

Wrap It Up Day is the day to wrap up all your gifts 'n shit; or, how about no. Last year, half of the paper used by the US was wrapping paper for holidays year round. HALF! What a ****ing waste! I'm no tree hugging environmentalist, but even I believe that to be despicable. Be a cheap asshole and use newspaper in the name of recycling, or just throw a bow on your gifts and everyone can be happy... Or you can still using wrapping stuff, I won't judge ya. :P But just sayin'. And on that note, this holiday gets a hippie-fueled GTFO.

Festivus; a holiday Seinfeld fans and commercial holiday-haters can hold in high regard alike. I particularly enjoy the Airing of Grievances. Either way, one needs no holly jolly nor religion to celebrate Festivus, so get buying that Festivus pole (they really do sell 'em, you know...), and have a merry Festivus! =D My holiday pick of the day, without a doubt.

Humanlight Celebration commemorates the values of Humanism, also with the intention of not pissing off any religions holiday-goers.

... Festivus is better.

The Emperor's Birthday celebrates the birthday of Japan's current emperor; simple as that. Being only one of two days that the public allowed to enter the gates of the Imperial Palace, Japan's civilians do tend to give a damn 'bout this day. Also, considering the Emperor is no longer of divine right/monarch power and status, I don't have to rant about how this is propaganda for brainwashing or anything. Grand!

Night of the Radishes (my source called it feast instead of night... YOU ALMOST MADE ME COMMIT A STUPID, DAMN YOU!), or Noche de Rábanos, celebrates... Well, I don't even know anything besides it began in 1897. It's only celebrated in Oaxaca (the capital of the territory Oaxaca; yes, they have the same name) as far as I know. It's name comes from the fact that professional sculptors use giant radishes to make art. Alongside said sculpting, dance, nativity scenes, fireworks and parties in general follow.

... It's hardly Festivus without snow. =/

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Bringer of meaty goodness DBloke's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    8041-7231-3447-6164
    December the 24th THE BIRTH OF GOD!!

You new? See this!
    W
    ii U FAQ

Spoiler Alert!

@D_Bloke - My inane prattle

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

December 24th

On this Christmas eve, we've got three holidays and one birthday.

Egg Nog Day
    Independence Day (Libya)
    Peace Day
    Howard Hughes' Birthday

You would think Egg Nog Day would be on Christmas, but nope. Personally, I was never a fan of the stuff spiked, and even less of a fan when it wasn't. Regardless of my personal tastes, if you've the ingredients, you should look for an egg nog recipe and make it yourself. Much better fresh (the only time I'd enjoy it), and since store-bought egg nog can't use raw eggs as tradition calls, you're definitely better off making your own. You can mix your booze of choice in while making it for better results too, rather than just dumping it in your average unspiked nog. Oh, and for any of y'all concerned 'bout drinking something with raw eggs in it, the alchohol helps make that safe 'n such.

Libya's Independence Day celebrates the same date in 1951 when they gained their freedom from Italy. Here's an interestin' funfact: Gaddafi, for whatever retarded reason, banned this independence day. Whether he intended to be a tyrant from the beginning and wanted to make freedom the least of his people's worries or he was a Mussolini fan, I have no clue...

Peace Day celebrates the day in 1968 when James Lovell, William Anders and Frank Borman finally reached the moon; yep, the goal of Apollo 8 was reached. After circling the moon ten times, they read bible verses on live TV airing throughout most of the world; and more importantly, wishing there to be peace on earth, everywhere on earth. We've already had World Peace day, but this holiday actually means something, so no need for a GTFO.

Howard Robard Hughes, Jr.; a man among men if I've never seen one. He's made epic movies like The Outlaw and Scarface (SAY 'ELLO TO MAH LI'L FRIEN'!). He was also an amazing aviation pilot, breaking multiple time trial records, like flying around the world in 91 hours (this was in 1838; that's crazy). He also designed the speedy planes he used being both quite the engineer and being a rich mother****er from the movies he made a decade and a half ago. He also survived multiple near-fatal aviation accidents like a boss. You'd think this guy had it all if it wasn't for the fact he had some mental disorders and such; notably a ridiculously acute case of OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Wasn't the most jolly guy to work with at times either; it was possible he was bi-polar on top of the OCD. But he was still a boss regardless of these shortcomings. His riches certainly do the talking in that regard...

Watch, there'l be a million holidays on Christmas... -_-'
    Last edited by Splash_King; 12-24-2011 at 08:28 AM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    3547-0534-1512-4583
    Quote Originally Posted by DPrinny View Post
    December the 24th THE BIRTH OF GOD!!
    Not really
    He actualy was not born on that day :P

Spoiler Alert!