Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast
Like Tree22Likes

Thread: The Many Holidays of Every Day

She-Hulk for Smash 4 WiiAssasin's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    As I previously stated, ALL gentlemen must master it. Whether or not it is used in daily conversation depends on the individual.

But using proper vocabulary can really change a things. Example: Here is your run of the mill TF2 video

This is the same video except it is made for gentlemen.
    3DS FC: 1478-4144-3572

Trying to motivate myself to play: Tales of the Abyss, Ocarina 3DS.
    Spoiler Alert!

2. Ads

The Scrubbiest of Hunters Splash_King's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    I don't know what sickens me more... The way rich gentlemen with fancy 'staches talk, or the fact I understood all that rubbish... ;_;

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

October 17th

Today, we've got a plentiful 6 holidays.

Mulligan Day
    National Boss Day
    National Cake Decorating Day
    International Day For The Eradication of Poverty
    Arthur Miller's Birthday
    Hurricane Thanksgiving Day

For those familiar with Golf terminology, you might think today is indeed, about mulligans. Not of the sporting variety, however; Mulligan Day is also known as "Do-over" day, a day of second chances and giving second chances. Of course, every day should be a day of second chances and such, so this day I don't particularly care about.

National Boss Day is that famed day for browning points; although, there's plenty of confusion over whether or not it's the 16th or 17th of October... Sorry. Regardless of my information blundering, for the few people who actually have decent or better bosses (lucky ****ers...), today's the day for you. Since most hardass bosses just see celebrating boss day as a way for employers to brown nose, they get angered (they always find a way to be pissed at everyone). If a nasty boss is your case, this day isn't for you.

Another information blunder, this was apparently the 10th... I need a new source of information. Regardless, Cake Decorating Day is an excuse to get those women back in the kitchen, and make something besides a sammich. Or if you're an aspiring chef like myself, an excuse to work on your food art. Y'all would be surprised how much a pastry chef/wedding cake decorator makes.

International Day For The Eradication of Poverty is exactly what the name is; a day to spread awareness of how poverty-laden some of our kin are, in hopes to be rid of it. Whether they're in third world countries or in the country you or I live in, poverty strikes everywhere, and with all due force. While some people have rightly earned their way into poverty, almost everyone hasn't. I don't need to say any more, aside from this day of awareness is my holiday pick of the day.

If you don't know who Arthur Miller is, either you don't read, or for shame... Regardless, for those who don't know, Arthur Asher Miller is an American play writer famous for dramas such as Death of a Salesman and The Crucible; American high school language classes are certainly notorious for hosting such books. Oh, and if you don't respect literature, he was married to Marilyn Monroe.

If you've never heard of Hurricane Thanksgiving Day, I doubt you'd guess the meaning of the day; I sure as hell didn't. This day is celebrated only in the Virgin Islands as the summer hurricane season finally ends. It's also celebrated as thanks for either hurricane disasters being avoided, or as thanks for those who were sparred from any disasters. If it still sounds odd to you, it's generally thanks to their God they're giving; so yeah, another religious holiday.

I'd ask who here's having trouble with this shit economy, but I think it's safe to say we all are...
    Last edited by Splash_King; 10-17-2011 at 08:16 PM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    The first time I read "International Day For The Eradication of Poverty", I thought this had something to do with "eradication" of those in poverty...

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Bless your kind soul.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

October 18th

We've got a good 7 holidays today.

National Chocolate Cupcake Day
    Pro-Life Day of Silent Solidarity
    St. Luke Feast Day
    World Menopause Day
    Alaska Day
    Independence Day (Azerbaijan)
    Persons Day

National Chocolate Cupcake Day is only celebrated in America-- oh look, a holiday related to shoving chocolate sweets in your face, only in America. Who would'a thought...

Pro-Life Day of Silent Solidarity is a holiday spawned of utterly moronic extremists who don't believe in abortion. I have no problem with any religion unless it involves sacrificing newborn kittens, but keep your religion out of our already-damned politics. Worse yet, the organization associated with this holiday, "Stand True - Christ Centered Pro-life" are specifically targeting youngin' women who are still in school; and as youngin's, have easily impressioned minds who are 99% likely to not have the funds nor mindset to have a child both at such a young age, and in this cursed economy. Moreso than ever before, this "holiday" is stupid, and is the first of many I damn for appearing in my thread. This, without a doubt, gets my first "GTFO" pick of the day.

St. Luke Feast Day is another Christian holiday, but luckily it isn't stupid like anti-abortion day as seen above. The holiday obviously celebrates Saint Luke, the first Christian physician. I had no idea there was a biblical figure that was a physician, which is actually rather interesting to me. I've heard sparse stories of Christians who refuse to see doctors or physicians in the face of sickness, using faith and prayer alone as a cure to all ailments because modern science is unholy in their eyes and whatnot... Makes me curious where such ideals came from.

World Menopause Day is obvious in meaning, and is a day of awareness for Menopause. As commonplace as menopause is; all women have to deal with it if they don't die young; I'd say most, if not all of the awareness days we've covered already are more important, as I'd certainly consider awareness about starvation and poverty more potent in ruining lives. A day that isn't stupid, but is also a bit unnecessary in my eyes.

Alaska Day is the day celebrating the date of the formal transfer of Alaska from Russian control to the US, the date of which would be October 18th of 1867. It is a legal and paid holiday for the employed in Alaska. This is not the actual day of Alaska's purchase, though; that would be Seward's Day which falls on the last Monday of March. This day commemorates the specific day the Russian Flag of Alaska's Fort Sitka was lowered, and replaced with the then-newly 49 star American Flag. Makes me wonder how many states have their own "state day", and more importantly, how many of those days are legal holidays...

Azerbaijan's Independence Day celebrates the day the USSR fell and as a result, lost control of Azerbaijan. Thus, Azerbaijan gained it's independence back, and you have Azerbaijan's Independence Day. Simple enough.

Person's Day is the day commemorating the court decision of October 18th 1929, that all women were to be considered "persons" for all purposes under the British North America Act, which is to say they legally have the rights every man should. Of course, as with all results of a rights movement, there were loopholes and bigotry to deal with afterwards. Two steps forward, one step back, essentially. None the less, progress is progress, no matter how little. Since I'm a man who believes all man and women are equal, this is my holiday pick of the day.

Took me far too long to realize, but posting these late in the day, or even at night, is rather stupid. I'll be attempting to post a day's holidays right after midnight/early morning.
    Last edited by Splash_King; 10-18-2011 at 04:06 PM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    I have no problem with any religion unless it involves sacrificing newborn kittens, but keep your religion out of our already-damned politics. Worse yet, the organization associated with this holiday, "Stand True - Christ Centered Pro-life" are specifically targeting youngin' women who are still in school; and as youngin's, have easily impressioned minds who are 99% likely to not have the funds nor mindset to have a child both at such a young age, and in this cursed economy. Moreso than ever before, this "holiday" is stupid, and is the first of many I damn for appearing in my thread. This, without a doubt, gets my first "GTFO" pick of the day.
    I sense a counter statement. They shouldn't harm a kitten, but humans should be aborted? Found that odd. Eh, whatever floats your boat.

Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK
    Took me far too long to realize, but posting these late in the day, or even at night, is rather stupid. I'll be attempting to post a day's holidays right after midnight/early morning.
    Found that strange myself.

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiAssasin View Post
    I sense a counter statement. They shouldn't harm a kitten, but humans should be aborted? Found that odd. Eh, whatever floats your boat.
    That wasn't a very literal example. :P My personal views on the matter is abortions are an almost necessary part of modern civilization; killing something already born which obtained consciousness ain't right.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    0129-0129-0129-0129

October 19th

Today, we've got 6 holidays.

Medical Assistants Recognition Day
    Evaluate Your Life Day
    Hagfish Day
    Shemini Atzeret
    Yorktown Day
    Missouri Day

Medical Assistants Recognition Day is what it is; a day to recognize the importance of medical assistants. The profession does administrative and clinical-related activities to support doctors, and we wouldn't have functioning clinics or hospitals without them. If you've so much as ever gotten a shot or been sick, you've dealt with a medical assistant. Since they help save lives, it's certainly a worthy day of appreciation.

Evaluate Your Life Day
    is also, what it is; a day to reflect on your life as a whole. How is your life? Are you satisfied and humble with it, or do you think it's lacking? If the later, today's the day to think on how to make it better... If the economy will allow it, anyway. Since most people in modern day life can go on through life without really thinking about the distant long run, this is a day that the modern world could use, but unfortunately isn't widely known. A lot of people tend to live day by day through distractions, unrealistic expectations, "living in their own world", earthly possessions and/or highs in an attempt to avoid the truth of a poor life. For that reason, one I can personally relate to, this is my holiday pick of the day.

Hagfish Day is, well... see for yourself.

Shemini Atzeret, meaning "the eighth day of assembly" is a Jewish holiday which takes place after the final day of Sukkot, although they aren't directly related. Long ago, Shemini Atzeret was the day a ritual known as Tefilat Geshem took place in an effort to pray for rain following the harvest season in Israel. The day also marks the beginning of the rainy season, hence the day for the ritual. Yep, another religious holiday.

Yorktown Day is celebrated in, of course, Yorktown Virginia. It celebrates the surrender of Lord Cornwallis' British forces on October 19th, 1781 during the American Revolution. This vitally important siege was the very last major American-British battle of the American Revolution, a decisive victory towards the end of the war. I'm surprised such an important event is only celebrated in Yorktown of the United States, honestly. I'm an idiot when it comes to 18th Century history, and even I remember the battle of Yorktown.

I was wondering if there were any other state holidays yesterday; lo and behold, Missouri Day is a day to recognize Missouri's history and accomplishments. But to my surprise, this day isn't all-that celebrated apparently. Probably because there's no concrete reason behind the date, which is simply the third Wednesday of every October. It doesn't commemorate some invention, birthday, or victory either, so that's most likely why it's widely uncelebrated. It's not a legal holiday like Alaska Day, so clearly the conclusion is that Alaska > Missouri.

So, who's gonna think about how their life's goin', and where to go with it?
    Last edited by Splash_King; 10-18-2011 at 11:02 PM.

The Vermilion City Guru
    絶望の海。水の墓。スプラッシュ、コイキング!

Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    7912-1706-4691-2520
    Quote Originally Posted by SSBfreakCK View Post
    I'm an idiot when it comes to 18th Century history, and even I remember the battle of Yorktown.
    I've never encountered someone over 200 years on the internet.

Spoiler Alert!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 14 54 ... LastLast

Ads