I took it.
Hi there !
I am currently working on my Masters thesis about video game franchises and their future. My colleague and I launched a survey to complete our work with precise data on gamers perceptions.
This survey is strictly anonymous and will not ask for any personal information.
If you want to help us, we would be glad to have your wise opinion about the subjects approached in this survey. It will take you no more than 5 minutes of your time to complete it.
If the survey is a success, we will of course share the results with you.
Please, feel free to share your feedback below.
Here is the link to begin the survey : http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/game-franchises
Thank you in advance !
Here are some news about the progress of the survey. Thanks to you we have reached the number of 360 participants. We set a minimal goal of 500 answers. We hope you will continue to help us to reach our goal .
Thank you and have a nice day !
Done baby! >;C
I took it
You mean you robbed it? big meanie! >;C
Noo i did not steal the servery
You just said you did! >;C
I should have shared the results of this survey before but better late than never .
I am going to give you the main trends we noticed thanks to the +700 answers we received. In the interest of being interesting I am only mentioning figures I have found interesting. If you want more details about anything, please let me know.
- First and it’s not really related to our topic, we noticed gamers can get very serious when they talk about something they care about. We’ve spotted only 5 trolls among all the answers and I found these guys cute because they took the pain of going through all the questions to let us know at the final one that “this survey was a waste of time”. I have no doubt about that for them and especially for this guy who answered “penis” wherever he could. ^_^
- Gamers are vocal ! About 3/5 of answers included comments for open questions. That is a lot more than traditional surveys get as far as I remember from intelligence marketing classes.
AVERAGE AGE :
- 24 years old
- Only 9% of answers had not completed any form of schooling but for a good reason : they are too young ! These 9% are only 17 yo in average.
- 46% of answers had completed at least a bachelor degree. 2% are Phd holders.
AVERAGE WEEKLY GAMING TIME :
- is 17.4 hours per week.
- The older you get, the less you play :-/
- DLC buyers play longer than any other “group”.
AVERAGE NUMBER OF GAMES PURCHASED PER YEAR :
- 10 ! But I feel a little bit “meh” about this question. Games come in so many different forms nowadays. We should have asked in the mean time what money they spend for them.
- Still, top 10% buyers buy a whooping 32 games per year.
- Bottom 10% only buy less than one (0.7). Interestingly these guys are the less likely to complete entirely the survey.
PREORDERERS & ASSOCIATED BONUS :
- Only 48% of answers admit having preordered a game. Same ratio as those who do not care about preorder bonus.
- Only 13% of answers found theses bonuses important or very important.
- 35% of answers never buy DLCs while 2% buy them for every single game they have.
SEQUELs, SPIN-OFFs, REBOOTs and REMAKEs :
- These figure do not change much depending on the group we isolated.
- 90% bought a sequel, 68% a spin-off, 51% a reboot and 31% a remake
FACTORS WHEN BUYING A GAME :
- Gameplay comes first (44%) then story/background (31%). Only 3% care first about graphics, 5% about the lasting appeal.
- The least important factor for 48% is the publisher.
STORIES OVER MULTIPLE GAMES :
- 64% like it, only 6% do not like, the others just do not care.
- 38% of answers follow eSports. The younger you are the most likely you are to do so.
INDIE GAMES :
- 69% of gamers have already bought an indie game but only 20% have financially supported a project on platforms like Kickstarter.
- 15% declare having already created content for games and 62% actually use contents created by other gamers.
I hope this was interesting !
Thanks again to all those who took the time to answer our survey. If you have questions please let me know.