Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8760-3751-4820-7981

Worth getting GC games for Wii

I dont have a GC and was wondering if it's worth spending $15-$20 on a controller and however much it is for different games. I was thinking about getting Super Smash Bro. Meelee basically because I have never played a SSB game and everyone is obsessing over SSBB so I figured maybe I would prepare by playing meelee. I backed out at the last second because I dont want to spend $50 when I will be spending $80 on sunday for GH3.

So basically...is it worth getting a GC controller for my wii? If I do...I was wondering how long the cords are because I want to know if I should get a wireless one or not.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by GC8
    I dont have a GC and was wondering if it's worth spending $15-$20 on a controller and however much it is for different games. I was thinking about getting Super Smash Bro. Meelee basically because I have never played a SSB game and everyone is obsessing over SSBB so I figured maybe I would prepare by playing meelee. I backed out at the last second because I dont want to spend $50 when I will be spending $80 on sunday for GH3.

So basically...is it worth getting a GC controller for my wii? If I do...I was wondering how long the cords are because I want to know if I should get a wireless one or not.
    I would, the GCN had a pretty good library of games it would be stupid not to take advantage of the flawless backwards compatibility.

The wireless GCN controller has no rumble because it was designed a long time ago and they had to take it out for the wirelessness, So I'd go w/ the normal controller, although you may have to put your wii on the floor closer to the couch or whatever.
    Wii games: Super Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Resident Evil 4, Zelda TP, SSX: Blur, Excite Truck, The Godfather, and Mario Kart Wii
    PC games: Call of Duty 4, Halo 1, UT3, F.E.A.R., and The Orange Box.
    PS3 games: Ratchet and Clank F.T.O.D., Resistance 2, Wipeout HD, and MGS4.

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    I would, and personally doing so.

I mean, those who skipped the Cube missed out on a nice library of games, so there is bound to be something worth resurrecting. Not to mention it will give you something to check out while you wait for something else.

I would check out your local GameStop/EBGames, granted there game prices are a bit high however a few decent deals such as there "el-cheapo" Chameleon controller ($12.99) will help shave the expense while you are experimenting. I'd also call your local pawn shops as well if you are worried about dumping $20 bills into Nintendo's controller, and see what pricing they've got on games as well.

GC games can be picked up fairly cheap depending on where you look, and you always have the option to rent them as well. I too never owned a GameCube so I'm rewinding a bit to see what I managed to miss. Might as well, we paid for compatibility we might as well make use of it.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    8760-3751-4820-7981
    and does this mean I need a memory card too?

Member #
    Friends
    Yes you need a memory card... BUY BATTALION WARS!!!
    Battalion Wars FC: 189 093 449 178

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by GC8
    and does this mean I need a memory card too?
    If you plan on saving your progress, as far as I know the Wii does not allow saving directly to it's memory or SD card when playing GC games.

I am personally planning on trying out the SD Card to GameCube Memory Card converter personally, however they seem kinda hard to come by. Until then if forced to use the GC memory I will.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    I'd suggest getting one GC game and that would be without a doubt SSBM.

I also suggest that you buy 2-4 controllers because you can't enjoy SSBM with only 1 controller. It's all about multiplayer gaming. On top of that, a memory card is needed. Prices are around:

Controller - $20 each
    Memory Card - $15 each
    SSBM - $15
    2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

WiiChat Auto Enthusiast

Forum Moderator - [PM]

Member #
    Friends
    8760-3751-4820-7981
    k, well I just bought a controller and a memory card both $15...SSBM was $39 though!!!!!

im gonna find one on ebay for cheaper

Member #
    Friends
    6113-2096-3627-7950
    Quote Originally Posted by FR.
    I'd suggest getting one GC game and that would be without a doubt SSBM.

I also suggest that you buy 2-4 controllers because you can't enjoy SSBM with only 1 controller. It's all about multiplayer gaming. On top of that, a memory card is needed. Prices are around:

Controller - $20 each
    Memory Card - $15 each
    SSBM - $15
    True dat. The single player is fun, but the multiplayer makes it one of the best games in history.
    >TOOL IS GOD<

Member #
    Friends
    7171-0126-0181-9068
    i would not worry about buying SSB. if you really want to practice the game mechanics you can download the original on the virtual console when it comes out, seeing as its pretty much the same with just less characters. as for gamecube games in general there are a ton of really awesome one-player experiences to be had. wind waker, metroid prime, mario sunshine, battallion wars and paper mario: the thousand year door. are all really great games that you just need one remote and one memory card for.

Ads