LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Well, the videos I've played on my Wii were edited and encoded using Adobe Premeire Pro w/out any special codecs (i.e. Cinepak, Sorenson)

My manual states -
    Format: Quicktime (motion JPEG) (.mov files)
    Size: Up to 848 x 480
    My .mov files didn't deviate from those specs and it worked fine for me.

Oh yea, there's a little disclaimer after all the supported file format specs -
    PLEASE NOTE THE FOLLOWING:
    * Some files in the above formats may not work with the Photo Channel
    * The audio components of some video files may not be playable.
    * Using an SD Card with slow transfer speed may result in longer load times or irregular video playback.
    Last edited by MaxCapacitor; 12-23-2006 at 02:04 AM. Reason: extra manual info
    Crazy? Crazy!? I'm not crazy, I'm just not user friendly! - Roberto

Member #
    Friends
    Did some testing, used my digital camera to record some videos and then played them on my Wii.

They play flawlessly from my 32mb SD card. Both the 640x480 .mov as well as the 320x240 .mov.

That seems to be the intent of playing videos through the photo channel. It was geared towards amateurs and their cameras to play back on their Wii.

As long as you're not trying to convert a video file that uses a motion compensation type compression directly to the Quicktime format, it should technically work.

If the video file's compression does motion compensate, you're gonna need to convert each video frame into a sequence of JPEGs. After that, package it up as a Quicktime movie and it should play in the Photo Channel. Expect exponentially larger file sizes than the source video.

Member #
    Friends
    Maccapacitor, when converting an .avi is there a huge size increase like when converting with red kawas video converter? useing it a 175mg video went to 700mg mjpeg form and turnd to almost unwatchable quality

Member #
    Friends
    It would depend on what codec and compression the .avi file used.

Sounds like you're converting a subtitled anime using the Divx codec. Hehe, they all seem to be around that target file size for a 22 minute episode.

You're going to see upwards to 700MB, 1GB or beyond when converting it to .mpeg or a similar sequential image format. The raw video recordings were most likely above 700MB as well, before they got compressed.

I've never used Red Kawas video converter before so I don't how that software converts videos. But I have used Premiere Pro to uncompress a 175MB (give or take a few MBs) to .mpeg before and I got a 700MB to 900MB when it completed.

Quote Originally Posted by 3mpathy
    useing it a 175mg video went to 700mg mjpeg form and turnd to almost unwatchable quality
    Uhh, that last line seemed a bit incoherent to me but I think I know what you mean

The Wii and most computers won't handle playing back a 700MB chunk of video too well so it'd be best to break it into smaller chunks to keep the video player from stalling or freezing up during playback.

And also, if the quality of the video suffers from massive artifacts (lots of discoloration, pixelation blocks), then your video converter most likely took each video frame as they were and placed it into the new file.

If you understand motion compensation in video compression, then you'll know that the lossy type video compressors attempt to share blocks of pixels with other video frames before and after it. So many video frames have blocks of pixels missing or discolored when taken out individually.

The better converters are the ones that copy frame by frame just like as if you were watching your video a single frame at a time.

Member #
    Friends
    We want a Video Channel, more specifically somewhere to play DIVX or XVID videos(Supporting a wide range of bitrates and compression). Thats the dream! - ah well. Time to get that GP2X and a tv out lead ! (www.gbax.com).

Member #
    Friends
    6911-5216-5010-9275
    well yes you can watch video.....but you must transfer them to the SD card...

I have used my digital camera and I can view the video feed and pics off of it!

so there you have it...
    DOP: November 26 2006
    GAMES OWN: Wii Sports,
    ACCESSORIES: 4 controlers, 4 controler blue skins, 4 Nunchuck's, 4 nunchuck skins, 2 steering wheels, 2 Nyko rechargable system, 4 game cube controlers, 1 Wii wired controler, Wireless Sensor Bar, Gold HD cable

Member #
    Friends
    6190-8629-4704-5295
    Quote Originally Posted by 3mpathy
    Maccapacitor, when converting an .avi is there a huge size increase like when converting with red kawas video converter? useing it a 175mg video went to 700mg mjpeg form and turnd to almost unwatchable quality
    I don't understand how it turned it to almost unwatchable quality. I've been playing around with Red Kawas Video Converter today with a 128MB card (all I have at the moment), putting music videos and whatnot on it (mind you, one at a time)...and while it does increase the file size by about twice, the quality is the same or at least close to it as if I was playing it on my PC.

Banned ToadIsDoingMagicMushrooms's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8263-8201-5467-9061
    Wii Video 9

Member #
    Friends
    6190-8629-4704-5295
    Quote Originally Posted by ToadIsDoingMagicMushrooms
    Wii Video 9
    Red Kawa's Video Converter IS Wii Video 9.

Ads