LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

please be patient

a 28 year old woman dies in a contest trying to win a Wii.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23350

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by callme.nasty
    a 28 year old woman dies in a contest trying to win a Wii.

http://www.news10.net/display_story.aspx?storyid=23350

Kinda dumb that you can die from drinking too much water as our bodies are mostly water. . .must be something they put in the bottled water.

CU Guild For Life! :DDD WiiWouldLike2Play's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2881-3576-4343-5770
    oh wow.. :'[ so sad.. i mean.. just wow..

_December 19th, o8`_
    My amazing Games
    CounterStrike || Left 4 Dead || World of Warcraft: Lich King.
    Steam ID: APPLExCHiCk
    Wanna play CounterStrike/Left4Dead? Hit me up (:
    WoW - Realm/Vashj || Character/Zaduka || Horde, ftw!
    Status - O_o Just got back guys. Nice to see you all again!

Member #
    Friends
    3006-0456-1074-5451
    Yeah. I read that. It's really sad and, quite frankly, I hope her family sues the radio station. I'm not an advocate for over-litigation or anything, but I think that when you're subjecting people to these physical challenges you need to have a doctor present to explain possible complications and monitor for side effects.

Water intoxication is not common (partic. with oral intake), but it can happen and the radio station should've done their homework on this. I'm guessing that she was a relatively small woman and probably had a kidney disorder.

Truly a tragedy.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by csiguy4u
    Kinda dumb that you can die from drinking too much water as our bodies are mostly water. . .must be something they put in the bottled water.
    Water intoxication occurs when too many electrolytes leave your body when you drink too much water. Water flushes out sodium and electrolytes.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by csiguy4u
    Quote Originally Posted by Kristi1696
    Water intoxication is not common (partic. with oral intake), but it can happen and the radio station should've done their homework on this. I'm guessing that she was a relatively small woman and probably had a kidney disorder.
    It isn't too uncommon. It normally is not caused uniquely by an excess intake of water, but rather in combination with sodium deficiency. If you are working hard all day, and sweating, you lose fluid and sodium. It is common for people to replenish themselves by drinking only water, but this throws their electrolytes out of balance. I suppose athletes in training or during endurance events are most likely to succumb to hyperhydration.

Member #
    Friends
    3006-0456-1074-5451
    Quote Originally Posted by Timo
    It isn't too uncommon. It normally is not caused uniquely by an excess intake of water, but rather in combination with sodium deficiency. If you are working hard all day, and sweating, you lose fluid and sodium. It is common for people to replenish themselves by drinking only water, but this throws their electrolytes out of balance. I suppose athletes in training or during endurance events are most likely to succumb to hyperhydration.
    It's not too uncommon with athletes, but for a woman just sitting there and drinking, there probably has to be some sort of salt-wasting disease there. I mean, people with pyschogenic polydipsia don't often die of water intoxication. (sorry, for pulling out the big words, but you sound like you've got some medical knowledge)

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah. I read that. It's really sad and, quite frankly, I hope her family sues the radio station. I'm not an advocate for over-litigation or anything, but I think that when you're subjecting people to these physical challenges you need to have a doctor present to explain possible complications and monitor for side effects.

Truly a tragedy.
    altough i feel very bad for her family, i don't think really anyone is at fault here. I'm sure no one even thought that this would be a problem. The radio station i'm sure was just trying to give someone a chance at a Wii. If you read, the one guy did say that he read a waiver, but didn't really think about it. Really is just an unfortunate event. They never said who won, but that would've been nice if she got in a few hours on her new wii before dying.

Member #
    Friends
    3006-0456-1074-5451
    Quote Originally Posted by callme.nasty
    altough i feel very bad for her family, i don't think really anyone is at fault here. I'm sure no one even thought that this would be a problem. The radio station i'm sure was just trying to give someone a chance at a Wii. If you read, the one guy did say that he read a waiver, but didn't really think about it. Really is just an unfortunate event. They never said who won, but that would've been nice if she got in a few hours on her new wii before dying.
    We'll see if the waiver included anything specific about water poisoning (i.e. signs and symptoms). I'll bet that it didn't and, hence, was not sufficient to cover the particular situation. In a word, LIABLE.

Member #
    Friends
    It's not too uncommon with athletes, but for a woman just sitting there and drinking, there probably has to be some sort of salt-wasting disease there. I mean, people with pyschogenic polydipsia don't often die of water intoxication. (sorry, for pulling out the big words, but you sound like you've got some medical knowledge)
    I agree, it isn't normal for healthy people to just drop dead from drinking a lot of water.

It is possible she had some sort of medical issue, but I think it is more likely she was not eating properly. I would not be surprised if she was dieting.

Also, I thought most people with psychogenic polydipsia suffer from hyponatremia and other health problems. Maybe I am wrong though, I don't know anything about mental issues.

Ads