LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Best possible picture?

What kind of video outputs does the Wii have and how would I get the best possible picture? Just wondering for when i do get my Wii, I want to optimized teh picture and sound

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    480i is with composite cables, 480p is with component cables.

Wiisearch Asst., NYC Area usatraveler's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    All of this is assuming a US (NTSC) system.

The best video will be with the component cable (sold separately). It splits the video signal into three independent parts, with two additional plugs for audio. It's the type of cabling used in professional video. You must have a TV with component inputs. The component cable will also allow for progressive scan (480p) with a progressive-scan-ready TV.

Next down the line is the S-video, another form of component video system, with a four-pronged single wire and separate audio plugs. 480-line interlaced scanning (480i). This cable also sells separately.

The standard cable that comes with the system is the composite (RCA) cable. It is also a 480i cable. All video information is fed through a single-pronged wire (the yellow one). The two other plugs, red and white, are used for audio information.

All cables do produce good picture, I have no complaints about the standard cable.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by usatraveler
    All of this is assuming a US (NTSC) system.

The best video will be with the component cable (sold separately). It splits the video signal into three independent parts, with two additional plugs for audio. It's the type of cabling used in professional video. You must have a TV with component inputs. The component cable will also allow for progressive scan (480p) with a progressive-scan-ready TV.

Next down the line is the S-video, another form of component video system, with a four-pronged single wire and separate audio plugs. 480-line interlaced scanning (480i). This cable also sells separately.

The standard cable that comes with the system is the composite (RCA) cable. It is also a 480i cable. All video information is fed through a single-pronged wire (the yellow one). The two other plugs, red and white, are used for audio information.

All cables do produce good picture, I have no complaints about the standard cable.

I read on another thread that the SCART cable (wired) was better than s-video...is this not the case as I have just ordered mine

Member #
    Friends
    profesionals uses HDMI cables , which can go up to 1080p/60I and support 7.1 surround sound

Drizzt

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Drizzt Do'Urden
    profesionals uses HDMI cables , which can go up to 1080p/60I and support 7.1 surround sound

Drizzt
    errr??......all i wanted to know was if I cannot use component cables on my TV..isnt SCART the next best thing and from recall isnt this better than S Video

Member #
    Friends
    "RGB Scart" and "Scart" are two entirely different things. Ninendo's RGB Scart will only work to it's best if plugged into a Scart socket on a TV that supports RGB. On my large CRT I have 4 Scarts, 2 of which support RGB.

People in the video industry also know RGB Scart as a form of "Component" as it also splits the video signal into it's component parts.

I've seen Wii's outputting on many different screens using component, RGB Scart and Composite.

Component on my LCD looks nowhere near as good as RGB Scart on a 42" Philips CRT.......... the LCD enhances the jaggies and motion looks blurred. On the CRT the graphics look great and the motion is fluid and crisp.

I think LCD needs to come a long long way to beat CRT for gameplaying.

Lionman - RGB Scart is better than S-Video - and if you're using a CRT TV then I'd argue will look better than component on LCD........

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Samster
    "RGB Scart" and "Scart" are two entirely different things. Ninendo's RGB Scart will only work to it's best if plugged into a Scart socket on a TV that supports RGB. On my large CRT I have 4 Scarts, 2 of which support RGB.

People in the video industry also know RGB Scart as a form of "Component" as it also splits the video signal into it's component parts.

I've seen Wii's outputting on many different screens using component, RGB Scart and Composite.

Component on my LCD looks nowhere near as good as RGB Scart on a 42" Philips CRT.......... the LCD enhances the jaggies and motion looks blurred. On the CRT the graphics look great and the motion is fluid and crisp.

I think LCD needs to come a long long way to beat CRT for gameplaying.

Lionman - RGB Scart is better than S-Video - and if you're using a CRT TV then I'd argue will look better than component on LCD........
    thanks for that mate.....see you are in London too ..maybe we are the only ones in London with wiis (LOL). I am purchasing the SCART from GAME ..it is a Gameware product and can be found on their website.....note it doesnt say if RGB or not whereas the Nintendo one does...will it make a lot of difference? Normally Gamewares tuf is pretty good and is only the Nintendo stuff under differetn packaging (and 7 cheaper).

Ads