Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by vi3tmix
    Nintendo Wi-Fi USB Connector

Technically not a conventional router, is that good enough?
    Like I said, those dont work with macs
    If the Xbox 360 console falls and hits someone, especially a small child, it could cause serious injury.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterB87
    Why don't they allow you to use wireless routers in your dorm?

If I were you I would just get one anyway, disable SSID broadcasting and lower the antenna power so that the signal only covers your room. Also use WAP encryption and MAC filtering.
    well first I will see if I can pick any access points up then just try to find whos it is and see if they can slip me in on it, if not then I'd just see how many other people in my building/on my floor are accessable then I would whip my router out and try, the more there are the more of a chance I have at getting away with it, if done properly that is.
    If the Xbox 360 console falls and hits someone, especially a small child, it could cause serious injury.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ocdan
    Like I said, those dont work with macs
    Oh, my bad, forgot about that detail =/

Member #
    Friends
    hey well how about this:
    Macs have the ability to form a computer-computer network right? well when I realised this I set it up and my wii WAS able to find it but it gave an error code and said it couldnt access the SSID. Do you think there could be a way around this, maybe once I have my laptop receiving internet through a cable I could reverse Airport and send it out as a router?

well doing a bit of wandering in my mac, I found there is a sharing folder that does have an option of sharing the internet to computers with airport, but Ive tried every option and since im riding the wireless wave right now with my mac i dont think it will work, I may have to be plugged in via ethernet the be able to broadcast it out via airport... and the best thing is I can probly do this and I get caught I can just say I used it like this at home and just forgot, I hope.
    bump

Member #
    Friends
    'Codejunkies' do an ethernet adapter, and it works very well for me.

Member #
    Friends
    Ok I have done a little research, and I do beleive I could use my Macbook as a Wireless router, but I will have to have it wired up with ethernet, but hey, Im not gonna buy games and surf the web at the same time..

I will probly test this theory out later tonight and Ill try and post the results if there are any others in my situation....
    wish me luck

Member #
    Friends
    HAHA YEESSSSSS.... I just got confirmation from my housing reps and they said a wifi dongle is acceptible for wiis only!!!! I just need to know if the Wifi Max is Mac Compatible

Member #
    Friends
    ...How would they know if it's connected to your MB anyway?

Member #
    Friends
    did you use a mac filter? I would like to also use my laptop in my room so if I were to use my wii and laptop on mac it could be detectable?
    Nope, I didn't use any filtering. I just let anybody use it. .. the only people that could use it though were the neighbors on each side (and maybe the person above me) cause the signal wasn't strong enough to go any further, i am guessing due to the thick walls or other interferance.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by csiguy4u
    Nope, I didn't use any filtering. I just let anybody use it. .. the only people that could use it though were the neighbors on each side (and maybe the person above me) cause the signal wasn't strong enough to go any further, i am guessing due to the thick walls or other interferance.
    yeah, WifiMax is NOT compatible with macs. and the computer-computer internet share with a wii doesnt not work... so I guess my best bet would to see if any of my neighbors use wireless routers and I can bum off them, or I could risk it and use my own router... but if I were to have other people jumping on my network, the school would probly notice all the IP's connected to my room and think somethings fishy.

Ads