LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Hi, want to get a Wii soon, and as an American in Tokyo this seems like the right thread to join..

Arnaud, any more hints or updates on games that work in English on the JP unit? ..or.. have any other tricky ways of doing such appeared? ... I'm studying kanji, but I'm only at about 150 or so. I'm not _too_ worried about the menus--maybe it's just wishful thinking that I'll actually learn faster

And for anyone who's interested, I'll be asking my akihabara geek friends about English on the Wii. I'm not really a hard-core gamer, so if there are keywords besides "freeloader" and "mod chip" that I should bring up, kindly post, thanks

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    TokyoYank: You cannot change the language of the menus on the Japanese console. You also cannot change the in game language on titles so far.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    You also cannot change the in game language on titles so far.
    Thought that was generally the point for Asian region games. .. Or are they all in English only so far?

... Or are they not even out yet? (Wii games I mean)

Member #
    Friends
    8180-9496-6675-4312
    TokyoYank, I believe Asian region games will be launched this winter together with the Korean version of the Wii (If Nintendo follows the pattern they did for the gamecube).
    That means that you won't get a lot of games in english on your japanese system until then...
    Having said that, Nintendo was very disappointed with the rampant piracy of the DS in Korea - I hope that will not deter them from launching an Asian version of the Wii...
    To answer your question about Asian wii games, none have been released yet - only japanese, US or european/Australian version. Unfortunately.

But games like FPSs, SMSB and others are playable in Japanese (english is really not necessary to undersand them) while waiting for the asian wii launch !
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    I think the Asian Wii version is here but not official yet - soft launch. I know because I acquired Wii last month and I thought its a US version (with US Adapters) but no it was not. The adapter is an Asian version which do not need a converter for it. My Wii is a US/Asian version.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ZEROSKULL
    My Wii is a US/Asian version.
    Where are you located? What is your power plug like? Wikipedia on different plug types

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoYank
    Where are you located? What is your power plug like? Wikipedia on different plug types
    The same as standard power plug but no label saying NINTENDO on it. Im from Brunei FYI.

Member #
    Friends
    8180-9496-6675-4312
    Zeroskull, you most likely got the Singapore version, which is a US version of the Wii (with different plug type).
    When I say US version, I do not mean the power plug is US, I mean that US games will play on it.
    This US version Wii is limited to Singapore at the moment (and Brunei too it seems).
    However the "real" asian version for the rest of Asia (Korea, Taiwan,...) is said to be launched for end of this year - it should be compatible with Japanese games as this part of Asia is NTSC/J (=same system as Japan).
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Zeroskull, does your plug have three flat pieces, two at the bottom go side-to-side and one at the top going up-down? 220V?

If yes, I guess it's easier for people in Japan to import a system from the US..

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by TokyoYank
    Zeroskull, does your plug have three flat pieces, two at the bottom go side-to-side and one at the top going up-down? 220V?

If yes, I guess it's easier for people in Japan to import a system from the US..
    Umm, dude, no offense or anything... but could we cut the whole talk on the plugs? It's pretty clear what the plugs are for each region and no further discussion is needed. What's important is the firmware region, not the plugs, as a matter of fact no one really cares about the plugs because small converters can be found for less than a dollar.
    Conclusion:
    NTSC-U for US: US-style plug, NTSC-U for Sing. Asian-style, NTSC-J (Japan) US-style plug, PAL depends on region.
    EDIT: Voltage is also pretty clear, NTSC-U uses 110V, NTSC-J uses 110V, PAL uses 220V, NTSC-U from Sing. uses 220V.
    Finito, End of Plugs Discussion.

Ads