LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Next Gen Wars

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1.why is the ps3 losing so badly,can it have a come-back??
    It hasnt been released world-wide yet unlike the Wii and 360 so sales figures are going to be scewed.

2.Is the wii doing so well because of motion sensing?
    Its a pretty innovative design that many gamers like myself have found appealing. The majority of 360/PS3 games i can also get on my pc, and thats always been my prefered platform.

Wii offers something different i just want more games developed for use with the wii-mote rather then being standard games with the motion sensing part "tacked on".

3.Was nintendo dumb because they did not try to copy xbox live?
    Something similar to xbox live would be great but again we need games that will support multiplayer. A year from now i'd hope that we'd have something like that.

4.Should microsoft take the price down on the wireless adapter?or just make a tottaly new 360?
    Im not going to argue with anything being cheaper :P
    5.Is ps3 a failure only because of it's price?
    6.If the ps3 had a lower price would the 360 be done for?
    Be fair now... would you judge a marathon when one runner has been on the track for over a year, another running for almost four months and the third not even fully out of the starting blocks?

Without a doubt the price of the PS3 is major put off for some people. But then again if you want any technology when it just comes out you are going to be paying a premium.

7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors
    This im very surprised about. It would have given the Wii extra living room value. Even just being like a standard DVD/DivX player would have only made the Wii sell more.

8.Who will win? why?
    The way i see it for two to three years at least the Wii will be able to compete with the 360 and PS3. And that kind of reflects the philosophy of the three manufacturers for their respective consoles, Microsoft & Sony have made theirs to be the gaming consoles for the next decade while with the Wii, without doubt we will see a "Wii 2" with full HD support in a few years time.

So who will win?

Gamers go where the games are. So ultimately whoever can produce the best games will win.
    Last edited by Evil_kaz; 02-20-2007 at 08:57 AM.

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    Quote Originally Posted by Hybrid
    Mainly it's the price of the PS3. $500 for the mormal version and $600 for the "real" version. The sales have a ratio of 4:1. 4 - Wii, 1 - PS3. Over 4 million Wiis have sold, and over 1 million PS3s have sold. That is a big difference.

Will the PS3 come back? Eventually there is a chance but the odds are completely against it. Sony is counting on the PS3 for most of it's sales. If the PS3 doen't jump back, Sony is gone.
    2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

WiiChat Auto Enthusiast

Forum Moderator - [PM]

Member #
    Friends

Price, Blu-Ray and software support are perhaps the main contributor to the problem. As of right now, there are very few titles available and there isn't a true console-selling title for the PS3. In addition, Blu-Ray is not well known among the general consumers, and the format war is clearly not over yet. Will PS3 have a come-back? Absolutely. Once the software support builds up and more HDTVs are introduced to general consumers living rooms, then the PS3 will shine. As far as the HD-DVD VS. Blu-Ray format, I believe both formats are here to stay for a while, and we are just going to see the rise of dual-format players. Besides, judging by the support Blu-Ray is getting, I think HD-DVD will have a hard time winning anyway.

Wii is doing well mainly due to its innovations and low price tag. Nintendo really out done themselves this time around by aiming at all market segments; whether if it is a 7 year old child or a 67 year old grandfather, people of all ages and skill level can get together and play the Wii. I believe the main selling point of the Wii is its playability through its innovative use of the gyroscopic motion sensing technology.

Absolutely not. Why would they need to copy xBox live right now, did you see the sales numbers the Wii is putting up right now? There is a general rule to business, if you have a cash cow (Wii) on your hands, you keep that formula and make the most out of it. Once the supply meets the demand a little better, Nintendo will more rapidly introduce new features to the Wii in order to keep the sales figures up.

4.Should microsoft take the price down on the wireless adapter?or just make a tottaly new 360?

I don't think the price for the wireless adaptor really matters for the general consumer, if they really wanted it, they would have bought it already. Although a wired connection is always better than wireless. I have heard rumors about Microsoft making a new 360, but I don't believe it is true. Although the 360 lacks in technology when compared to the PS3, but making a brand new system will only anger the existing 360 crowd and make software distribution more complicated. The bottleneck for 360 in a few years are its media format and the lack of HDMI support. However, it is possible to output 1080p signals through component or VGA, the only limiting factors are the ACCP / HDCP regulations and the HDTV's signal processor. As far as the media format go, Microsoft will not switch from DVD9 to HD-DVD, simply due to the fact that there are over 10 million 360s sold that only support DVD9s.

See answer one...

Hard to say at this stage. I would have to vote No though. Microsoft is a huge corporation, with the success of the 360 and a massive amount of software support under its belt, I doubt the 360 will sink, although it may have a slightly shorter life span than the PS3. However, the longer Sony waits for that price cut, the more customers Sony will lose to Microsoft, and in turn more software support will be lost.

7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors?

It would be nice if the Wii can play DVDs, but I don't think it matters to the end users at this point, perhaps in the future Nintendo will release a DVD enabled Wii. From Nintendo's perspective, Wii should not do anything else but play games, as it is the only console that is making money straight out of the box, and maximizing the profit is the primary goal of every company.

8.Who will win? why?

Wii will come out on top. Simply because Nintendo is aiming at a broader market segment than both Sony and Microsoft, and when a low priced and innovative product is targeting more people in different market segments, it will end up attracting more consumers.

As far as Microsoft and Sony goes, they are competing in the same market segment, who will come out on top is hard to say right now. I believe if they get their acts straight and survive this year, then over time, Sony will overtake Microsoft simply due to its more future-proof technology and the Playstation brand name. However, the next few months will be critical to Sony, if the arrogance continues, then they will end up with a bronze medal this time around.

Member #
    Friends
    6031-8713-1077-8188
    i owning all three

wii + ps3 + 360....i play the wii the most...then the 360 with online play and the ps3 the least..(mainly for blueray movies on our new tv...)

only reason really why i got a ps3 cause of the blue ray and so i could get rid of the ps2, and ps1! it saved space
    iMac 2.4ghz Aluminum, 4GB iPhone, 12 iPods!

Member #
    Friends
    The PS3 is failing almost entirely due to its price, if Nintendo can garner enough 3rd party support to keep all of its demographic happy with the games that it brings out then there is no way back for Sony as far as im concerned, i've always bought Sony, but i love my Wii and if they can bring out enough top quality titles in a variety of genres then for me there is no need to spend all that cash on the new PS

Member #
    Friends
    The playstation 3 isn't failing

The Europeon Launch hasn't even happened yet

The price of the console doesn't matter either if somebody want's something so bad they will get it.

Give Playstation 3 at least time to release properly worldwide I personally belive that Sony haven't shot themselves in the foot after all the Playstation 3 is a good investment especially for somebody who want's a cheap bluray setup.

Give it 2 of 3 years into the playstation 3's life and you will see the true potential of the graphics of the console after having hands on experience with the PS3 I had to say I was impressed.

Sure lack of titles so far but two titles stood out for me

Resitance fall of man and Gran Turismo HD

For the people who deffend the Nintendo Wii and think the graphics will actually be on par with the Xbox 360 or Playstation 3 in the future need to fully understand how underpowered the Wii is.

Sure we got innovative controls and a sleek console design but when the big boys start unleashing titles with HD graphics it's Nintendos credibilty who ends up getting damaged due to sloppy underpowered 3rd party ports of the same HD enabled games.

I have been a life long Nintendo Fan but I am quite miffed at the direction Nintendo are heading in general expereinces after playing the Wii were that I thought Nintendo were heading in a direction where they will be addressing there kiddy image?

Sure the Wii is selling well now and with some big games in the pipeline will it truly be able to compete with the PS3 and Xbox 360 for 3- 4 years?

I don't think it will

Member #
    Friends
    I beleave that the one main reason it is losing is becayse of the price. It is way to high. I seriously doubt that many gamers have the type of money. For the comeback. i seriously doubt it. Unless they come out with a more affordable substitute, i dont know so.

]The wii is doing well because of its inginewity (however you spell that), price, and "fun" factor. Altho the motion sensing is a part of that

]Its not that they did not to copy it, its that they couldn't. The nintendo online system is more based towards kids, so that their parents can buy it for them and feel safe that they wont get raped

No Comment
    ]its a good well rounded system, but not for gaming. They focused to much on blue ray and multimedia functinality. And yes the price is a large downfall
    ]Duh! that an obviouse answer
    7.should the wii have focused more on multimedia like it's competitors
    yes and no. I beleave that people who play the Wii may not be as "worried' about the multimedia aspect
    8.Who will win? why?
    another obviouse answer

Thats my 2 Cents

Member #
    Friends

The Playstation 3 may be losing now due to delays being launched. Bearing in mind that the Playstation 3 hasn't fully launched in Europe which of course is a key market it is idiotic to assume that the Playstation 3 is going to fail.

It's obvious that the PS3 will be playing catch up to market leaders Xbox but I truly see that they will overtake Nintendo by 2008 once the console has properly launched. A price cut would also help Sony better there current postion

Sony may have a few Aces up there sleeve

Final fantasy 7 remake anyone?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ally_uk

The Playstation 3 may be losing now due to delays being launched. Bearing in mind that the Playstation 3 hasn't fully launched in Europe which of course is a key market it is idiotic to assume that the Playstation 3 is going to fail.

It's obvious that the PS3 will be playing catch up to market leaders Xbox but I truly see that they will overtake Nintendo by 2008 once the console has properly launched. A price cut would also help Sony better there current postion

Sony may have a few Aces up there sleeve

Final fantasy 7 remake anyone?
    Maybe a few aces. but havent there been some talk about some games that are shifting sides and are comming to the Wii?

Member #
    Friends
    As for question #1, I agree that price has a lot to do with low sales for the PS3. I also think that the PS3 lost some market share to both the Wii and 360 by not meeting demand at launch. I'm sure there were a lot of people hoping to get their hands on a PS3 around Christmas time that ended up w/ a Wii or 360 instead.

As for the "Who will win the console war?" question, I'm going to suggest that there will be no clear winner this time around. Nintendo is clearly back in a big way, but there will always be gamers and developers that value graphics and powerful hardware. Besides, I don't think that Nintendo is really in direct competition w/ PS3 or 360. It's a completely different console that can't really be compared.

I have a Wii and think it's great, but also plan to eventually get a 360 or PS3. I think that the Wii will continue to do well becaus it's cheap enough for people to buy both a Wii and a PS3 or 360.

The real mistake that Sony made w/ the PS3 was allowing Microsoft to get a 1 year head start. Had the PS3 launched in '05 like the 360, we wouldn't be debating about which console will win.

Ads