LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

An observation about Wii players

This is something I have noticed, and I"m interested if others are finding the same thing.

So Nintendo said the Wii would appeal to everyone, not just male, hardcore gamers. And when I got my Wii, it appeared to be true. My parents were getting into it, and -- most importantly -- my two sisters. My sisters, like many girls, have just never been interested in video games, so I was astonished how much they enjoyed Wii sports.

So nintendo was right? well, I thought so, but I'm noticing things going right back to normal, with me and my male friends the only ones left holding the Wiimote.

You see, while the Wii is great at attracting girls to the system, it would seem that holding their attention is an entirely different story. Now I dont want o generalise here, and I certainly dont want to come off sexist. there are plenty of exceptions to this I"m sure, but it seems to be from my own experience, that girls see Wii games as an experience that is enjoyable, but once they have had that experience once or twice, it has been done, and they feel no need to come back. After 3 Wii Sports sessions of only around 30-40mins each my sisters are completely over the game.

So my point is that whlie the Wii has broken the stigma accociated with video game consoles, there is a fundamental difference between how a gamer sees a console to how a non-gamer sees it. From my own experience, girls see the Wii as an exerience much like going to disneyland or dining at an expensive restaurant -- something they want to try, but not something they would do more than a handful of times.

What do others think about my theory?

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    i think its your own personal experience. In my case both my mother and mother-in-law, as well as my wife and sister-in-law love the Wii and are always wanting to pick it up and play when they're around.

That is when they can get a chance, because I'm playing Zelda right now and it's taking up all the time. But people around here's interest in the Wii has definitely been held.

Member #
    Friends
    4883-9225-1818-3903
    In my experience, the females I know, have never been able to hold attention on to a game for anything more than 40 minutes, also another little thing, is that if i'm in a certain mood i'll play a certain game, [like if i'm tired, i'll play some long rpg, if i'm wide awake i'll probably play some shooter etc] however the females I know, have to be in a mood to play games at all, they collectively see all games as one thing and don't really understand their are different genres. Of course this is all very general, as I don't know any proper girl gamers.
    Post is there ^^^
    How dare you state a different point of view, you complete fanboy! /sarcasm

Member #
    Friends
    All of my family enjoy Wii and they don't get bored with it

PROUD OWNER OF A WII/DS Wii_Boy's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    My sis loves the Nintendo Wii, first time ever she has played a console for over an hour unlike the PS2 (****-console) which she got bored of 15 mins later

Member #
    Friends
    well my brother got bored of the wii after one game of bowling. and he played the ps2 all the time. but then again, he only played games with franchise modes. it all depends on the person.

PROUD OWNER OF A WII/DS Wii_Boy's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    My sis says that she hates the PS2 and the sony fridge, errm sorry PS3
    because it isn't fun cos you can't move around but hey she is even playing the wii now

Member #
    Friends
    7307-9834-0378-2075
    I think it all depends on the person. I'm a girl, and i love my Wii. I love and have every system nintendo has out. But maybe thats just because i was born in the 80's. Anyone can be a gamer, it just depends on your personality.
    Nintendo rocks my socks!

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    4253-4708-4555-0363
    My 6 year-old sister plays tennis with me. That is what steered me towards the Wii, how simple it is to pick-up and learn.

About your incident, getting bored with a game is typical, I'm sure they'll pick it uo again sooner or later.
    2008 Jaguar XKR Portfolio

WiiChat Auto Enthusiast

Forum Moderator - [PM]

Member #
    Friends
    it really is the games that hold peoples interest, not consoles.

Ads