LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    The controllers use gyroscopes, bluetooth and IR all. The sensor bar actually EMITS the IR and the control receives it from what I read. Basically halogen crosses into the light frequency of IR. I can attest that this is possible from personal experience. For example, I built a night vision security camera because the CCD in the camera responds to light in the IR range too. So I got a bunch of IR LEDs and wired them up. You can't see the light with the naked eye but the CCD could see it so you had video in a completely black room. I'm guessing that's what COULD happen here with halogen and IR.

Member #
    Friends
    I expect halogen lights emit some level of infrared light, I know fluorescent bulbs do. But I think it's really a matter of noise vs an encoded signal. Mind you infrared light blasts from the sun too. I would expect the wii infrared to be a complex short range message, filtered if needed, probably in multiple IR wavelengths (theres a whole range you know, and I can't imagine a halogen bulb saturating a room with huge volumes of all wavelengths of infrared light which would mean lots of heat on everything the light hit, which is hardly there if at all from just a foot away).
    No light through the path of my dumb simple tv remote ever stopped it from working, I seriously doubt a 21st century nintendo controller will be susceptible to any type of bulb --other than one on the front of a super infrared wii disruptor, sony is building a giant one in mexico. We better call the enquirer!
    Last edited by glassonion914; 05-27-2006 at 06:07 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Ok what happens is that the IR gets affected by ANY kind of light... Nintendo know of the problem and it stems round the materials the IR reciever is made of.

So it will be fixed...
    Also the IR is used for getting the distance the wiimote is from the screen (or IR reciever) an example of needing this is red steel when you can stab your sword towards the screen...

dont worry the problem with lights effecting the IR should be fixed (similar to TV IR that works fine in different levels of brightness so dont worry )

TheRook

p.s. your going to ask where I got that information and its from Official Nintendo Magazine the current issue (next one is on sale on the 8th of june (with E3 covereage etc)

Member #
    Friends
    3388-6355-5969-8398
    It's probably best not to read the article by the inquirer, it's really just brainwashing you.

Member #
    Friends
    I think theoretically the story is right but in reality it will be a non issue. That's my prediction. Its like how 2.4GHz phones can interfere with wireless routers but 95% of the time no one has a problem.

Member #
    Friends
    Plus if it's that big of a problem then nintendo will fix it, becuase you can't sell a product that does something like that.

Member #
    Friends
    7795-4616-5509-6155
    This rumor is false!
    Just reading on the wehatewii.com and they said

Wii Knows WiFi (& Bluetooth)
    Filed under: Wii News — May 14, 2006 @ 9:50 am
    Nintendo has confirmed today that the Wii will be compatible with both WiFi and Bluetooth technologies, making the Wii the first console to support both technologies.

The bluetooth will be used for wireless communication between controllers, headsets, or other accessories.

which would mean that halogen lights would not affect the controllers at all.

Member #
    Friends
    Wifi is for the internet connection and bluetooth for the controllers etc. Neither of those would require a "sensor bar", only IR would, so this still isn't all adding up to me. Either the whole sensor bar is a red herring or SOME part of the wii is using IR. You don't need a foot long bar that is location sensitive for wifi or bluetooth.

Member #
    Friends
    the Wiimote does have IR its on the "top" its used for getting the distance between the wiimote and the screen (sensor bars) this is used for when the wiimote is 'lunged' or stabbed whichever you prefer at the screen...

This is how you can stab someone in Red Steel because the IR picks up when your moving the wiimote towards the sensor bars...

now you all know... Its fine it wont be a problem when released...

So dont worry!

TheRook

Member #
    Friends
    I agree that it will likely be fine, but lets stop with the "there is only WiFi and BT" discussions since we pretty much already know that's not the case. I thought the information would be useful. I have no halogen in my entire house and I bet that's the case for most people. The two most common sources are going to be track lighting or lamps. Lamps are an easy solution IMO, turn them off. If you have track lighting, get an incandescent floor lamp so you arent playing in the dark.

Ads