LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    WiiChat Member Taero's Avatar
    Member #
    408
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    357
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

    Regions? UK vs US price?

    Hi all, I was wondering whether the Wii will be region free, all I can find is old information, I know there's a difference between UK (PAL) and US (NTSC) so I'll buy a UK Wii but looking at the games Nintendo states they wouldn't be sold for more than $50 (first party) which is 26.67 and factoring in 17.5% VAT for UK that brings my total to 31.34(ish) so where are PLAY getting 39.99 from for LoZ??

    The reason I ask about Region encoding is that I'm wondering whether or not it would be cost effective to order games from the US sans VAT?

    Oh and the price for the controller in the UK seems to have shot up _ at first I thought it was 20 for the remote and 10 for the nunchuk and now its 30 for the remote and 14 for the nunchuk? So instead of 30 per completed controller its 44? That...is pretty damn expensive T_T

    Full set of controllers 120+ ftl? (full inc one in package already)

    I know I've moaned about the controller price before (Sovieto ) anyone able to put my mind at ease on any of these questions?
    Owned: Wii, Sports, Play, LoZ:TP

  2. #2
    :eek: i0n's Avatar
    Member #
    1
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,458
    Friends
    14
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Im pretty sure i read yesterday its region free, let me find a news source to back that up though.

    Edit: http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732748p1.html

    Seems only first-party games have been confirmed though:

    According to this article at IGN, Nintendo of America VP confirmed that all first-party games for the Wii will be region-free.

  3. #3
    Lovin' The Wii D Twizzle's Avatar
    Member #
    965
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    318
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0130-2935-1724-6313
    I dont think anyone knows but i'm wondering if a japanese controller would work the same in the UK Wii?

  4. #4
    Lovin' The Wii D Twizzle's Avatar
    Member #
    965
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    318
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0130-2935-1724-6313
    Quote Originally Posted by i0n
    Im pretty sure i read yesterday its region free, let me find a news source to back that up though.
    I'd save some money if thats true, also i'd get it a month earlier!

  5. #5
    Lovin' The Wii D Twizzle's Avatar
    Member #
    965
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Nottingham, England
    Posts
    318
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0130-2935-1724-6313
    Quote Originally Posted by i0n
    Im pretty sure i read yesterday its region free, let me find a news source to back that up though.

    Edit: http://wii.ign.com/articles/732/732748p1.html

    Seems only first-party games have been confirmed though:
    So thats just first party, I bet they'll be a freeloader disc that will convert the rest.

  6. #6
    WiiChat Member chessaholic's Avatar
    Member #
    1204
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Wales, UK
    Posts
    497
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    ERRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM..... sorry guys, but looks like nintendo have changed their minds?

    http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/732/732982p1.html

  7. #7
    Only took 4 years to get1 MetroidZ's Avatar
    Member #
    137
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    London, England Rank: i-wii-sistable
    Posts
    3,592
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by Taero
    Hi all, I was wondering whether the Wii will be region free, all I can find is old information, I know there's a difference between UK (PAL) and US (NTSC) so I'll buy a UK Wii but looking at the games Nintendo states they wouldn't be sold for more than $50 (first party) which is 26.67 and factoring in 17.5% VAT for UK that brings my total to 31.34(ish) so where are PLAY getting 39.99 from for LoZ??

    The reason I ask about Region encoding is that I'm wondering whether or not it would be cost effective to order games from the US sans VAT?

    Oh and the price for the controller in the UK seems to have shot up _ at first I thought it was 20 for the remote and 10 for the nunchuk and now its 30 for the remote and 14 for the nunchuk? So instead of 30 per completed controller its 44? That...is pretty damn expensive T_T

    Full set of controllers 120+ ftl? (full inc one in package already)

    I know I've moaned about the controller price before (Sovieto ) anyone able to put my mind at ease on any of these questions?
    ur right, the controller price was already too much for me in dollars and in ****in pounds its even more expensive. i kno its got motion sensing but DAMMN, why does UK pay so much tax? doesnt US pay tax, im confused

  8. #8
    Only took 4 years to get1 MetroidZ's Avatar
    Member #
    137
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    London, England Rank: i-wii-sistable
    Posts
    3,592
    Friends
    1
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by chessaholic
    ERRRRRRRMMMMMMMMMM..... sorry guys, but looks like nintendo have changed their minds?

    http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/732/732982p1.html
    sorry for the double post, but this needs to be fresh.

    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!! more moaning from pple.

  9. #9
    WiiChat Member Taero's Avatar
    Member #
    408
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    357
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Oh...goody...I thought Ninty were supposed to be following the trend of the DS which was partly loved for its non region encoding ?_? so looks like I'm stuck at 40+ per game then? So much for the low cost view of Nintendo, at least they cant be more expensive than the PS3
    Owned: Wii, Sports, Play, LoZ:TP

  10. #10
    Senior Member Ronan's Avatar
    Member #
    877
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Posts
    520
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    yeah im not going to say any more ive already picked my bone with this.

    I hate Photobucket

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Similar Threads

  1. The alternative to VC downloads **I (and others)attempt to save you some money**
    By DBloke in forum Virtual Console, WiiWare and DSIWare
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 01-29-2010, 04:39 PM
  2. More Rumors about PS3 Price Drop
    By manufan15 in forum Playstation Consoles
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-30-2009, 01:24 PM
  3. How the Wii effects ps3 price cuts and game industry.
    By Haywire in forum Nintendo Wii Chat
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-30-2007, 10:14 AM
  4. RED STEEL or RAYMAN for $27.99
    By penguinphil in forum Nintendo Wii Gaming
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 01-15-2007, 06:08 AM

Search tags for this page

nintendo wii prices america vs. england

Click on a term to search for related topics.