LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I think its a great idea for Nintendo to know the playing habits of its customers to release games and such according to this data.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    I won't like them to know.

I GOT A JAR OF DIRT. surfinrach90's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Don't think I mind really, I mean it can only do good..

Member #
    Friends
    7223-7031-2631-4774
    I don't mind them knowing my habits with gaming. Only thing that annoys me is you can't delete the records on your calender view at all - There are going to be a lot of them after a year or so. Also, it makes finding mail annoying; Open the calender look back and try and pick out which 'envelop' marker on a day is actually mail not just "you played such and such for so many hours". It means I have to go through days one by one to find anything.

FC: 7223 7031 2631 4774

Wii Games: Zelda TP; Godfather Blackhand Edition; Splinter Cell Double Agent; Redsteel; Transformers; RE4 (Wii Edition); Wii Sport; Wii Play; Mario Galaxy 360 Games: GRAW; Assassins Creed; Mass Effect; Splinter Cell Double Agent; Forza2; Viva Pinata

Member #
    Friends

Invasion of privacy

Quote Originally Posted by Andrakis_Scarr
    I don't mind them knowing my habits with gaming.
    But how far would you let your parents/corporations spy on you? Would you let them know your IM history? or maybe your browsing habit? Would you be happy if your PC is loaded with spyware?

Nintendo should disclose to users that their gaming histories are being track when you switch on the system the first time and provide the ability to turn them off if the users wish to do so.

Let me remind all of you: Invasion of privacy is a legal term essentially defined as a violation of the right to be left alone. The right to privacy is the right to control property against search and seizure, and to control information about oneself.

Member #
    Friends
    A long time ago, I was taught a very simple moto to live by:
    Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing.

That's the short and sweet of it. Long: Somehow, somewhere, sometime, someone is going to find out something you've said, done or wrote. It will happen even if you don't know it. So, if you care, don't do "it".

I've lived by that since I was 6. My parents ALWAYS found crap out. I learned early on to just not do the "bad" stuff. Now I'm a parent and I've taught my kids the same. A few times, they've tested us and learned they can't hide stuff.

I monitor everything my kids do on the net (easy since I'm a network engineer). I don't always say something, my son is 17 afterall. But my daughter is 13 and I was her logs VERY closely. We are active in their relationships with friends, but not fist&hammer controlling.

It's a simple understanding. We give them things they want, they are accountable for their actions. Step to far over, you lose privilages. Cell, xB0x, TV, Internet, car, phone, money, etc. are all PRIVILAGES NOT RIGHTS. Earn them and maintain that privilage or it could be gone till you turn 18 and leave my house.

Now here's the major difference I see between other parents nowadays. We taught them morals EARLY in life, not just by words but also by deeds. We actually care if our kids do nefarious things because it can ruin THEIR life later. I don't care because of what other's might think about us, but what other's might think about my kids later. Most parents are too stuck up on what their friends might think if their kids get in trouble.

Growing up, my friend's parents used to say "don't get in trouble and make me embarrassed". I hated that. Christ, grow up and worry about your kids, not your ego.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

Member #
    Friends
    Not really, I don't plan on playing pron Wii games in the future....

Member #
    Friends
    0130-2935-1724-6313
    Quote Originally Posted by strommsarnac
    Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing.

That's the short and sweet of it. Long: Somehow, somewhere, sometime, someone is going to find out something you've said, done or wrote. It will happen even if you don't know it. So, if you care, don't do "it".

I've lived by that since I was 6. My parents ALWAYS found crap out. I learned early on to just not do the "bad" stuff. Now I'm a parent and I've taught my kids the same. A few times, they've tested us and learned they can't hide stuff.

I monitor everything my kids do on the net (easy since I'm a network engineer). I don't always say something, my son is 17 afterall. But my daughter is 13 and I was her logs VERY closely. We are active in their relationships with friends, but not fist&hammer controlling.

It's a simple understanding. We give them things they want, they are accountable for their actions. Step to far over, you lose privilages. Cell, xB0x, TV, Internet, car, phone, money, etc. are all PRIVILAGES NOT RIGHTS. Earn them and maintain that privilage or it could be gone till you turn 18 and leave my house.

Now here's the major difference I see between other parents nowadays. We taught them morals EARLY in life, not just by words but also by deeds. We actually care if our kids do nefarious things because it can ruin THEIR life later. I don't care because of what other's might think about us, but what other's might think about my kids later. Most parents are too stuck up on what their friends might think if their kids get in trouble.

Growing up, my friend's parents used to say "don't get in trouble and make me embarrassed". I hated that. Christ, grow up and worry about your kids, not your ego.
    Some nice words to think about, thank you.
    This means you're: A Smart Gamer

What does it mean?

You have a good grip on the gaming world. you know what games you enjoy, you remain somewhat even in a debate through the consoles. undoubtably a "Super Fanboy" has called you a fanboy when you are not one but rather just stating facts. you are invalueable in a discussion on consoles.

Member #
    Friends
    7223-7031-2631-4774
    Quote Originally Posted by strommsarnac
    Don't do anything you're afraid of getting caught doing...
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    But how far would you let your parents/corporations spy on you? Would you let them know your IM history? or maybe your browsing habit? Would you be happy if your PC is loaded with spyware?
    As for that, I personally don't mind about Nintendo monitoring my game usage. As for parents (or in my case, my wife ) seeing what I am doing, I have no problems with it. If I was a parent (God willing, I someday will be) I would make use of the features of the system to monitor what my kids are doing, how much time they are using it and such and also use the parental controls.

As for the spyware stuff, I think there is a difference. If Nintendo did start loading programs which screw up the wii, slow it down, start redirecting pages (or channels) to inappropriate sites or bombarding me with advertisements all the time then Yes, I would have a problem with it. At this stage however, they don't so I am not worried.

FC: 7223 7031 2631 4774

Wii Games: Zelda TP; Godfather Blackhand Edition; Splinter Cell Double Agent; Redsteel; Transformers; RE4 (Wii Edition); Wii Sport; Wii Play; Mario Galaxy 360 Games: GRAW; Assassins Creed; Mass Effect; Splinter Cell Double Agent; Forza2; Viva Pinata

Member #
    Friends
    5435-9829-5121-8955
    It's not like they are going to single you out and believe you me you are far from playing the most here is my report from yesterday

Twilight Princess - 23:59

Spoiler Alert!
    Spoiler Alert!
    Spoiler Alert!
    Spoiler Alert!
    Spoiler Alert!
    Spoiler Alert!
    Spoiler Alert!

Ads