oh, yeh trying to picute the screen but couldnt lol
    Maio COde : 412417 474738

Monica: But you will always be the guy who peed on me

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Wi-Fi is very helpfull for the wii because, You can benefit from Buying able to use the shop channel and purchase virtual console games, The virtual console will be a very helpfull feature as from their you can sometimes get a new channel for the wii, also, many of the channels use wi fi such as the everybody votes channel, news, weather forecast, internet, mii channel.

Also, the wi-fi is there so you can get wii system updates/firm ware updates.
    These firmware updates basically add new things to shop channel (such as new channels ready for purchase), firmware updates also update your wii with certain bits of software helping your wii, improve its performance or stop bug's or modders getting into the sytem.

Coming soon is online games which will use the wi fi feature to play other wii owners online through wi fi.

did i do good

Member #
    Friends
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.McCloud

Also, the wi-fi is there so you can get wii system updates/firm ware updates.
    These firmware updates basically add new things to shop channel (such as new channels ready for purchase), firmware updates also update your wii with certain bits of software helping your wii, improve its performance or stop bug's or modders getting into the sytem.
    This is fine unless you have a mod-chip (I don't) because the firmware can be updated to exclude your chip! Just a thought.. .. .. ..

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by captainff
    This is fine unless you have a mod-chip (I don't) because the firmware can be updated to exclude your chip! Just a thought..
    Care to provide a source for that information? No hearsay either. Nintendo has yet to have a game/firmware change to prevent the use of modchips.

The most similar situation was the implementation of DNAS on PS2 games which made online play with copied games slightly more difficult.

Member #
    Friends
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    Care to provide a source for that information? No hearsay either. Nintendo has yet to have a game/firmware change to prevent the use of modchips.

The most similar situation was the implementation of DNAS on PS2 games which made online play with copied games slightly more difficult.
    However I reply to that is, by definition, hearsay as I have already stated that my Wii is not chipped. Maybe my original comment was a little inaccurate, and if so, I apologise. However, two things have lead me to that conclusion. . . .1) The number of Wii owners who bricked their consoles trying to play an NTSC version of SPM on a modded PAL Wii, due to the update that the disc required. 2) Hearsay, comment and discussion with people whom I trust to be accurate about these things. They refer to the modchip situation as a game between the console and chip manufacturers ...

Member #
    Friends
    The Paper Mario Bricking scenario was a series of unfortunate events.

Paper Mario was released in US before EU. Some hardcore players ordered a copy of the game from the US and played it on their PAL Wii. A few of these players had never connected the Wii to the internet. The modchip prevented the region checking and allowed the disc to boot. On bootup the disc determined that the firmware version was old and asked to update it. This keeps the Wii from booting.

In other words, Wii's with an internet connection and a mod chip can play Paper Mario with no problem.
    Wii's with no internet connection and no updates can be damaged if you allow Paper Mario to apply the on disc update.

If you look at the current stock of popular mod chips there has been NO effort on nintendos side to block them. Chips designed for the original version of the Wii still work with the latest (with updates or wired installs)

Member #
    Friends
    5537-0855-7535-2075
    Ok. I accept that this is currently the case. However, is it your opinion that the firmware can or cannot be updated in such a way that will exclude the current functionality of 1st and 2nd generation modchips?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by captainff
    Ok. I accept that this is currently the case. However, is it your opinion that the firmware can or cannot be updated in such a way that will exclude the current functionality of 1st and 2nd generation modchips?
    I believe it would be possible to block the use of some of the current chips, but most likely through the games. The people working on the chips now can leverage a lot of experience in the PS2 Xbox scene. The "stealth" ability of the current chips is really quite surprising. Look at the update method for the Wiikey and you'll understand how freaking crazy they are (Im amazed it works in the first place honestly). Other than a few incidents of shitty support the first round of Wii Modchips are really good! Remember when the PS2 mods first came out and you had to solder like 16 wires!?

You make me want to research more into the WiiD chip and see how stealth it really is.
    Last edited by ciper; 05-08-2007 at 05:17 PM.

Ads