Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Software Engineer Student Schneideren's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3299-0924-7094-7534
    hehe well - the wireless network is set to both actually - like the Wii demands it to be.

Starting to give up on the whole, wanna-build-my-own-AP-from-my-laptop-thing....
    If you found this post usefull then support by pressing the cute muchroom!
    ---
    Wii: 7th May 2007
    WiiGames: Wii Sports, Wii Play, SSX Blur, Mario Strikers!
    WiiAccessories: 2xMote, 2xNunchuck
    VCGames: Bomberman 93"

Member #
    Friends
    As a network guy, I highly suggest you don't broadcast the SSID. Manually configure the SSID on your Wii. If you don't want to buy a home router/firewall (which I suggest you do), then you'll be better off manually configuring the Wii's IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS.

I do however ALWAYS suggest spending the 20-50us to buy a Wired/Wireless home router/firewall. I prefer Linksys units or Dlinks. They're easy to configure for secure access. That way only the wireless devices YOU CHOOSE will have access. No chance of someone piggybacking on your service.

If you go that route, let me know. I have a word doc with pictures I give to my clients/students when they want step-by-step directions for securing their wireless router. Adding info for the Wii will be a piece of cake.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

cjs
    Member #
    Friends
    2096-2240-6572-4005
    Quote Originally Posted by Schneideren
    hehe well - the wireless network is set to both actually - like the Wii demands it to be.

Starting to give up on the whole, wanna-build-my-own-AP-from-my-laptop-thing....

Actually the Wii doesnt demand it to be both

Mine works nicely on G and G only

cjs
    Member #
    Friends
    2096-2240-6572-4005
    Quote Originally Posted by strommsarnac
    As a network guy, I highly suggest you don't broadcast the SSID. Manually configure the SSID on your Wii. If you don't want to buy a home router/firewall (which I suggest you do), then you'll be better off manually configuring the Wii's IP, Subnet Mask, Gateway, and DNS.

I do however ALWAYS suggest spending the 20-50us to buy a Wired/Wireless home router/firewall. I prefer Linksys units or Dlinks. They're easy to configure for secure access. That way only the wireless devices YOU CHOOSE will have access. No chance of someone piggybacking on your service.

If you go that route, let me know. I have a word doc with pictures I give to my clients/students when they want step-by-step directions for securing their wireless router. Adding info for the Wii will be a piece of cake.
    I use a linksys WRT54g, quite nice, 63char key WPA encryption and a mac address filter as well so only my laptop and Wii have access

Wouldnt mind a copy of your word doc though if i can please

Ads