LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by spongmonkey
    well i've just tested it with a backup and it works! It didn't work the first time but on closer inspection the wire on point 6 had come loose. all screwed back together now.

I'm not sure how Nintendo could release an update to stop the chip working as it's pretty transparent in the way it works and bridges points on the DVD player, but I'm sure they can find a way (luckily the chip is flashable so the chip makers can work around any potential block)
    Congrats. Stick around for a while because we need more people like you! Ignore the haters and you'll do just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    I don't see any point of modding a Wii in the US, as all the games and DVD's are out in the US first. However, modding is popular in Europe where games and DVD's are usually released 6 month late.
    Mario strikers was the first online playable game ever and it came out in Europe first.... maybe you should edit your post?

Quote Originally Posted by Haz
    To answer many questions:
    1. People Mod their Wii's so they can play copied / downloaded games. Only a small percentage Mod so they can play imports.
    This generalization is invalid. If you narrow the country to China I agree. If you say Australia you are ass backwards. I'm tempted to show you a picture of my PS2 game library. You might be surprised how many games I own considering my console can play copied discs.

2. I doubt any WiiChat stuff would report those who Mod their console, this would be far too much effort, plus it would be pretty anal.
    Not to mention pointless. Modifications are not illegal in every country. In fact some have sent their modified Wii back to Nintendo for repairs.

3. Nintendo could easily release a firmware update to counteract the Mod chip.
    Two questions - 1. Are you new to console gaming? (mod chips and their makers have been playing this game for a long time) 2. If you understood how the Wii modchip is working you wouldn't have even written this

4. Those who do not have access to the Internet... well if Nintendo really wanted to, they could include the firmware update with one of their titles,
    There are MANY titles that already inculde firmware updates. They have existed since last year.

5. I would Mod my Wii, but i) I am far too lazy too, and ii) I get free games anyway, so I have no real need to.
    It makes perfect sense why you think everyone with a modchip is also a theif. Not everyone has the same mindset as you.

Quote Originally Posted by Yuu
    modding wii's will just damage the industry. Just look at what happened to the dreamcast. Everyone started modding the console, and guess what? It died, dreamcast went under... even though so many people owned the console.

it's in nintendo's best interest to find people who have modded the wii, and brick them
    Your post is so wrong I am lazy to write a decent reply. This will have to do - The Dreamcast didnt even NEED a modchip to play backup games. You can take an off the shelf system, burn the CD the right way and VOILA bootable games. BTW a new DC games are still being made.... Sega was even selling DCs on their website not too long ago.
    The Dreamcast died for other reasons. If you really believe that modifying the console kills it then how can you explain the PS2?
    Last edited by ciper; 06-18-2007 at 06:46 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by lee.jarratt
    I think I am going to keep my wii mod-free. I dont want nintendo releasing an update that blocks the chip, I dont want to void the warranty and I dont want to risk my wii breaking.
    It's cool that you installed it and everything, good luck
    Lee.j
    Good post , i would add "I dont want to break my Wii"

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by dchao
    Unfortunately, right now, you are breaking the laws by installing the WiiKey yourself. If you get caught, be ready to use your Rights of Fair Use .
    Please show where you get your information. Last I read relating to current copyright and anti-piracy laws, hardware mods are NOT illegal to own/install. I teach IT and we get all the latest legal updates on this stuff. I'm required to stay current and there's nothing on the books yet.

What is illegal is having/using duplicates of digital media. Digital media does not cover analog broadcasts such as non-hd over-the-air TV or radio. However, if you are duplicating shows off digital cable, since the signal you are duping came to you digitally, it's illegal for you to share it or store it for replay later. Fair Use ONLY applies to Non-Digital sources.

Mod Chips are NOT illegal in the US. Show me the laws which state otherwise and I will bow to your superior knowledge.

Just like states where radar detectors are illegal to own/buy, if they were, one would not be able to buy them in the US. Mod chips are not governed by any anti-piracy laws and numerous lawsuits against the manufacturers have failed in US courts. In legal words, judges have stated that mod chips are not the method used to circumvent the copyrights, only to take advantage of ALREADY pirated material.

The act of copying/distributing/receiving/owning the media is what's illegal. US laws don't forbid the USE of pirated material, only receiving/owning it. In otherwords, it doesn't matter if you PLAY the pirated game, just having it is breaking the law.

Now, all that said, modchips are in violation of the console's user agreement license. However, it's not a legally punishable offense.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

Member #
    Friends
    Whoa, big arguments here. Still, i'm thinking about modding my Wii in a few years, when my warranty runs out, many games are out for the wii, my wii will be old, and it's easy to just buy another wii.

What i'm seriously thinking about now, is modding my GC. I hear that it's pretty hard, considering all the wires and etc.
    Motto: If you cant post anything related to the topic or helping the user asking for help, DONT F***ING POST!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by FireFreek
    What i'm seriously thinking about now, is modding my GC. I hear that it's pretty hard, considering all the wires and etc.
    You will be happy to know that you are wrong
    The Wii and Gamecube are essentially twins. Modification of either one is nearly the same!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Ads