LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Turning off Wii but the light didn't turn red instead it is yellow/orange

I know yellow/orange means "stand by mode." But why it is doing it. I am worry to leave my Wii on stand by mode.

Member #
    Friends
    i think my Wii was on standby the other day...when i came home it was so hot it actually burnned to pick up.

Member #
    Friends
    When the orange light is on, it means that the Wii is on standby mode. WiiConnect24 is only active during this mode. If you do not want to stay connected, simply turn the power off at the main switch.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    8745-5143-2651-5351
    Well the main switch can turn it off either to standby or completely. To get the red light/full power off, hold the console's power button down until the light turns red.

MOHH2: AoW fortunz
    xfire: fortunzfavor

I am mianmini at IGN. fortunzfavor [at] netzero [dot] net

Member #
    Friends
    Is it bad for the machine to constantly leave it in stand-by mode? I thought that was the point, leave it in stand-by so that the Wii-Connect 24 would work. Is it not designed to be OK in stand-by?

Member #
    Friends
    8745-5143-2651-5351
    Quote Originally Posted by Wii-Wild
    Is it bad for the machine to constantly leave it in stand-by mode? I thought that was the point, leave it in stand-by so that the Wii-Connect 24 would work. Is it not designed to be OK in stand-by?
    When the console is on, and actually generating great deals of heat, the internal fans quickly dissipate it and extend the life of the components. However, in standby mode, basically just the network card is running (and maybe not even persistently), however it can heat up after spending time in standby. The more heat your system is exposed to, from within or from without, the less time the components will last.

No one has ever, to my knowledge, reported early system failure resulting from network card heat, but then the Wii is only a few months old, and most people place it in it's stand, so that regular air flow in the room dissipates some of the heat (if placed flat, heat could build up to greater levels underneath it). But heat damage isn't an instantaneous thing. It doesn't destroy parts, it just decreases their lifespan.

Most people don't worry about it. Of those that do, some expect Nintendo to release a patch that occasionally cycles the fan on in standby. Personally, I turn mine all the way off. I don't get messages and I don't care whether updates come in overnight, and I plan on owning this console till the end of time. Your own priorities may lead you to a different course of action.
    Last edited by Wiinter; 05-16-2007 at 12:11 PM.

MOHH2: AoW fortunz
    xfire: fortunzfavor

I am mianmini at IGN. fortunzfavor [at] netzero [dot] net

Member #
    Friends

Turn Off Your Wii

Quote Originally Posted by Wiinter
    Personally, I turn mine all the way off. I don't get messages and I don't care whether updates come in overnight, and I plan on owning this console till the end of time. Your own priorities may lead you to a different course of action.
    I second that! If the temperature on the case is already hot, the inside temperature must be way over the specs for the IC's .

Until Nintendo comes out with new firmware that cool down the internal temperature in standby mode, I am leaving mine OFF.

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for your advice

Member #
    Friends
    1988-5901-7210-6575
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiinter
    When the console is on, and actually generating great deals of heat, the internal fans quickly dissipate it and extend the life of the components. However, in standby mode, basically just the network card is running (and maybe not even persistently), however it can heat up after spending time in standby. The more heat your system is exposed to, from within or from without, the less time the components will last.

No one has ever, to my knowledge, reported early system failure resulting from network card heat, but then the Wii is only a few months old, and most people place it in it's stand, so that regular air flow in the room dissipates some of the heat (if placed flat, heat could build up to greater levels underneath it). But heat damage isn't an instantaneous thing. It doesn't destroy parts, it just decreases their lifespan.

Most people don't worry about it. Of those that do, some expect Nintendo to release a patch that occasionally cycles the fan on in standby. Personally, I turn mine all the way off. I don't get messages and I don't care whether updates come in overnight, and I plan on owning this console till the end of time. Your own priorities may lead you to a different course of action.
    Whoa, thanks for posting that. I better turn my Wii off all the way then, I don't want my precious Wii to overheat! Thanks for the warning.

Video games: My anti-drug
    KIS, Keep It Simple

Member #
    Friends
    7300-6469-2862-5349
    Why don't you turn WiiConnect 24 off in the options menu? It's not that hard...

And do u really plan on having a Wii until the end of time? LOL ... in 10 years time it'll be as redundent as the SNES.
    What i've got so far: Wii, Wii Sports, Wii Play, LoZ: TP, Marvel: UA, Rampage: Total Destruction, WSOP: ToC, Excite Truck, TMNT Wiimote x2, Nunchuck x2, Classic Controller, Fan/Neon Lights, Wiimote Charger, Skins - Blue, Black, Pink, Green, Component Cables, Trial Opera Browser & Classic Games: DK Country, SimCity, Super Mario Bros., Kid Icarus, Super Mario World, Street Figher II, Castlevania IV, Zelda: LttP

Ads