LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Turn off wiiconnect24!

wiiconect24 (the connected to Internet in standby mode thing) is, at the moment, completely useless, so turn it off! Its a pointless waste of power, its under the options thing, save yourself some money (and the planet!)

Member #
    Friends
    2772-8936-1314-9979
    Well, why not just unplug the system? If you're so worried about wasting energy then just do that, the Wii will still "on", just look at the red light on the power button.

Member #
    Friends
    ummm...actually it isnt. it updates things without you knowing. like the updates mario strikers things. without wiiconnect24, it wouldnt work.

And plus, wiiconnect24, takes up almost no energy at all.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by RDBRaptor
    Well, why not just unplug the system? If you're so worried about wasting energy then just do that, the Wii will still "on", just look at the red light on the power button.
    Yup i do that, but the wii uses about a 10th of the power in standby without the Internet connection, and i imagine the best way to get more people to save energy would be to have the wiimotes still work in turning it on + without the bother of unplugging it every time. I think wiiconnect24 is on as a default when you set up the Internet? so lots of the erm 'technologically challenged' people (don't pretend there arent any on these boards with questions like 'can i touch the sensor bar?' coming up) would just have it on, and therefore can save energy in a quite simple way by turning it off.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Unstoppable
    ummm...actually it isnt. it updates things without you knowing. like the updates mario strikers things. without wiiconnect24, it wouldnt work.

And plus, wiiconnect24, takes up almost no energy at all.
    Erm ok:

1. There have been no unknown updates on the wii so far, sure the blue light turns on, but you have to turn it on and accept it to download the update.

2. there have been no updates to games made over the Internet on the wii so far, and nothing to indicate that Mario strikers charged wii have them. Sure it has online gaming (which is hardly going to happen with your wii turned off), but that does not mean that you have to be online when the wii is on standby.

and as for your second point, i saw a power consumption site that showed a much higher electricity use with it turned on, ill try and find it again.

so anyway you've embarrassed yourself

EDIT: heres the power consuption site, 5x more with it on, put that in your pipe and smoke it http://www.hardcoreware.net/reviews/review-356-4.htm
    Last edited by rockkybox; 05-28-2007 at 02:44 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    if you're worried about energy why are you on a computer, why do you turn on your lights, you can get by without these. Why use a car? why buy foods from a supermarket when you can grow them. All that wasted energy powering things at the supermarket and the gas used to drive the goods there and everything.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by dreamcastninja
    if you're worried about energy why are you on a computer, why do you turn on your lights, you can get by without these. Why use a car? why buy foods from a supermarket when you can grow them. All that wasted energy powering things at the supermarket and the gas used to drive the goods there and everything.
    hm what great examples! but i hope you've noticed that i didn't say 'stop using your wii, never plug it in or turn it on' i don't mind using energy for entertainment or things that are vital, or for things that make life drastically more simple like being able to buy food, but pointless use should be stopped, do you not see what I'm saying?

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    It hardly uses any energy. It might cost you 50 a month or something, but if you can't afford that then you probably shouldn't have a Wii.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    Actually, WiiConnect 24 often gets updates you don't know about.....

No, they're not full system updates. Nor are they game updates. However you get plenty of news and weather updates all the time. If you turn WiiConnect24 off it has to update these features when you use them, which isn't such a big deal.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er
    It hardly uses any energy. It might cost you 50 a month or something, but if you can't afford that then you probably shouldn't have a Wii.

EXACTLY.

Nintendo designed the Wii to use the smallest possible amount of energy when in standby mode. It uses way less energy that you think. Its not costing you more than a dollar a month. Big Deal.

period.

Ads