LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Little help please

Since once again the UK is being slandared with a over-priced console, hardware and games, I'll be ordering my wii in from America. Now, wondering it it would be possible if someone could redirect me to a reliable website to buy it from? And what is the exact US release date? As I'm sure it isn't going to be as late as the UK one.

Also, with a NTSC wii console, I realise I'll have to have all my games shipped from the states, but will some wii games be region free? And what is the average price of a US wii game, and how many wii packages will be released?

Also I heard the online for the wii would be free? This dosen't look good as with the PS2, free online play was a lagfest, while XBL, was pretty high standard, will Nintendo provide dedicated servers etc? As I would much rather pay for a non-laggy online service, than a free one which is riddled with lag.

Basically any infomation about online wii play would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    5990-7343-4893-9015
    the online aspect fot he wii will be free, nintendo is wanting to make it free to bring more people to their console the same way that they did with the nintendo DS, hmm, i dont know if there is an sites of the top of my head that will deliver to uk i dont see why www.gamestop.com wouldn't its a pretty good store here , umm but the only thing that confuses people about the nitnendo online is you have to have an online connection first ( wirless preffered, cuz if not ull have to either 1>but a router, or 2> ge the usb connector for the DS to have the internet for the wii) but you would already have to have the internet as it is to use the itnernet on the wii, for online games and browsing

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by komio
    the online aspect fot he wii will be free, nintendo is wanting to make it free to bring more people to their console the same way that they did with the nintendo DS, hmm, i dont know if there is an sites of the top of my head that will deliver to uk i dont see why www.gamestop.com wouldn't its a pretty good store here , umm but the only thing that confuses people about the nitnendo online is you have to have an online connection first ( wirless preffered, cuz if not ull have to either 1>but a router, or 2> ge the usb connector for the DS to have the internet for the wii) but you would already have to have the internet as it is to use the itnernet on the wii, for online games and browsing
    I have a wireless router, so does the wii automatically pick up the router much like a wireless network card?

Member #
    Friends
    5990-7343-4893-9015
    most likely yes, i would double check on the nintendowifi.com site somewhere to see if the router is supported by the nintendo DS because most likely the same ones will work for both the DS and the WII

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by komio
    most likely yes, i would double check on the nintendowifi.com site somewhere to see if the router is supported by the nintendo DS because most likely the same ones will work for both the DS and the WII
    Hmm, I'll be getting rid of my wireless router come December for a normal one, to reduce lag when I pick up my gaming PC, so I think I'll just buy the adapter, so long as it dosen't cost a bomb, I don't mind, as wireless usually sticks the ping waaay up there.

Anyway, thanks for your help, and one last question, do you know the official US release date?
    Last edited by Riddled; 10-06-2006 at 04:34 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    November 19th is when Wii will be released in the US and it will be sold for $249.99+tax. Games for Wii will be no more than $50 and Nintendo has stated, although this could change, that the games made by them, a.k.a. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. will be region free.

Also, on Wii's free online service, it will probably be quite stable. The DS also has free online play and from what I've heard, you can play 4-player Starfox with people around the world with very little to no lag.

You also said you'll be getting a non-wireless router for your gaming PC, correct? If this is true, don't spend the money on the USB wifi thing that is used for the DS and presumably the Wii. They have a limited distance they can go, much smaller than that a WiFi router can reach. Instead, get a USB/ethernet adapter. This will let you connect Wii to the internet via a wire that will be faster than what you'll get with the USB wifi adapter thing. You'll plug one end into one of the two USB ports on the back of Wii and the other end into the router.

Hope that helped.
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by NateTheGreat
    November 19th is when Wii will be released in the US and it will be sold for $249.99+tax. Games for Wii will be no more than $50 and Nintendo has stated, although this could change, that the games made by them, a.k.a. Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc. will be region free.

Also, on Wii's free online service, it will probably be quite stable. The DS also has free online play and from what I've heard, you can play 4-player Starfox with people around the world with very little to no lag.

You also said you'll be getting a non-wireless router for your gaming PC, correct? If this is true, don't spend the money on the USB wifi thing that is used for the DS and presumably the Wii. They have a limited distance they can go, much smaller than that a WiFi router can reach. Instead, get a USB/ethernet adapter. This will let you connect Wii to the internet via a wire that will be faster than what you'll get with the USB wifi adapter thing. You'll plug one end into one of the two USB ports on the back of Wii and the other end into the router.

Hope that helped.
    Very helpful.
    Also, I have a wireless router that has four ethernet ports. One of which is currently used to hook up my Xbox 360 to live. If I just buy two USB/ethernet cables, one to connect my gaming PC to the net, and the other for the wii, could this work?

Only took 4 years to get1 MetroidZ's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1000-0000-0000-0000
    isnt the wii region locked? whats the point getting one from america.

Member #
    Friends
    8507-9443-5099-4224
    For PS2, the online wasn't laggy at all for me, and I have played online games on PS2 for like 2-3 years. Trust me, the Wii will be even better.

250 for a Wii, and 50 dollars for first party games.

Member #
    Friends
    4054-9249-4284-3802
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddled
    Very helpful.
    Also, I have a wireless router that has four ethernet ports. One of which is currently used to hook up my Xbox 360 to live. If I just buy two USB/ethernet cables, one to connect my gaming PC to the net, and the other for the wii, could this work?
    Actually, you'll only need one USB/ethernet cable adapter, unless your nice new gaming PC doesn't have an ethernet port (you should always use an ethernet cable to connect to the router, unless there is no ethernet port. then you use a USB/ethernet adapter). You should get one ethernet cable to connect your PC to the router and then get one USB/ethernet adapter and another ethernet cable because you put connect the ethernet cable to the adapter, which has a USB cord on one side and an ethernet port on the other end.

Here's a picture of a USB/ethernet adapter:
    "Whatever you do may seem insignificant, but it is most important that you do it." - GANDHI

Picture created by: NateTheGreat

Ads