LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by JLU51396
    I have question, What exactly is firmware and does it cost money to upgrade?
    It is the Operating system of the Wii and right now you cannot make any changes to it except for the official Nintendo updates.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    7081-4874-6456-6678
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    How about I say that everyone in the scene believes the solderless chips will never exist but there has not been an official announcement?

As it is right now all Wiis sold are "unmodable" by the average person because of either missing IC legs or the new chipset. There is no reason for new chips to be released until someone cracks the D2C!
    I can back that statement up myself. As of right now no one believes solderless chips to be in production anytime soon, especially with the target of Nintendo's attack on the matter.

Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er
    Ugh...I really want to mod it, but I know I would screw it up if I tried soldering, and my soldering iron broke a while ago anyway...Maybe I will just go get a new one and start practicing...And how can you guarantee something in your opinion? Doesn't make much sense.
    Installing the chip is always going to be a risk. It is however a variable that skill can overcome a good portion of that risk. It's your decision if you feel you have the upperhand in this bet for $250 (Not to mention finding one)

To be fair learning isn't that hard, I took advanced metals back when I was in High School, I just practiced a little bit, and went right at it. However with the new revisions made to the wii, I probably would have passed on it until I knew I could obtain another wii reliably.

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    I think I'm just going to send it in to xbox-modchips.com or some other place that will mod it for me. Its a little expensive though...
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ciper
    It is the Operating system of the Wii and right now you cannot make any changes to it except for the official Nintendo updates.
    So it won't cost any money to get the updates?

Member #
    Friends
    If you download them fron the internet then no!

Some games come with the update built in. Most of the games made by Nintendo have updates on them. I think Pokemon has the 2.2 update? Someone want to confirm that?

Member #
    Friends

ummmmmmm

What newb did that chip? it looks like they melted the plastic on that component? wtf??

Quote Originally Posted by SadistBlue
    I have no doubt we will see firmware changes at some point. However it is still early for the mod scene on the wii. Heck we haven't even decrypted the VC yet.

Why are you waiting for a solderless one? A couple of systems never get to see a solderless chip grace their system. At the rate of how things are going for the hardware revisions for the wii, there won't be one anytime soon either.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by bubs
    What newb did that chip? it looks like they melted the plastic on that component? wtf??
    You are a noob for not knowing that Nintendo is breaking off the legs and that picture is the only way to mod them. This was the stopgap measure before the new D2C chip could be put into production.

Member #
    Friends
    7081-4874-6456-6678
    Even if they did hack the firmware, it would involve some sort of homebrew (aka modchip) to run.

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Quote Originally Posted by SadistBlue
    Even if they did hack the firmware, it would involve some sort of homebrew (aka modchip) to run.
    You wouldn't necessarily need a modchip. Just look at the PSP and 360.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    7081-4874-6456-6678
    Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er

You wouldn't necessarily need a modchip. Just look at the PSP and 360.
    I was under the impression the 360 required some sort of modchip to alter the firmware. The psp scene I'm unsure about, so I can't comment.

Ads