Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The old and wise gamer indiemike's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8999-0217-8484-2180

Wii controllers - - controlling the industry?

Remember back in the NES days, where you could play a game using a glove, gun, power pad, or a standard controller?
    Remember when SNES introduced a mouse to use with Mario Paint? Remember when all of this dwindled to specific games, with DDR having its own pad, and Guitar Hero working on a guitar-like controller?

It seems like gaming companies have started taking their peripherals for granted, and Nintendo is obviously coming back.

Up until this year's E3, it's seemed to me like everything with the Wii has been based around its motion-sensing remote. I had no idea that Nintendo wanted to take me back to the days of World Class Track Meet, and then some.

Now Nintendo is talking about a "new power pad," one that senses the distributed pressure of your body to a "T." They've announced new attachments and control-ideas, like a light-gun and a steering wheel.

The question is... will any of this matter in the long run? Are we going to see these controllers be devoted to a few games, and contribute little to the advancement of the Wii, or can all of these peripherals, like the Classic Controller and Nunchuk, be used to help us experience a broad array of games in new and exciting ways?

I, for one, can't wait to see new games roll out with support for the Classic Controller. This could potentially allow me to use a single system for my button mashing, and my arm flailing.

Member #
    Friends
    7466-2556-3307-9977
    I miss that bazooka thing for the SNES

edit: Light guns and steering wheels are already available from 3rd parties

Member #
    Friends
    I want a fishing pole controller to play fishing games
    http://forums.lovingwii.com
    Download and share Wii game saves for FREE!!

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    But none of these things besides the Wii fitness pad thing actually do anything. They are just useless pieces of plastic.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    8999-0217-8484-2180
    a. I recognize that there are third party light gun attachments and steering wheels available, I'm talking about moreso the first party products that aren't necessarily just attachments.
    b. Yes, SOME of these are just pieces of plastic. I admit that what I meant to say isn't slightly what I said. What I mean is emphasizing the importance of peripherals.

Wouldn't it be wise of Nintendo to make a controller out of the steering wheel attachment? Or should they just keep it as an attachment?

I think that it would be cool to see more than just a new power pad as a peripheral, and not a bunch of "add-ons" to my remote that I will probably never buy because I know they do nothing.

Then again... I'm sure many wouldn't want to buy extra controllers for money knowing that they do nothing extra compared to the wii remote. Right?

Member #
    Friends
    8573-5327-9660-0097
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosbaughcr
    I miss that bazooka thing for the SNES

edit: Light guns and steering wheels are already available from 3rd parties
    Having purchased a Super Scope when they first came out, I am offended by the phrase "bazooka thing"

Dreamcast Fan Fo Lyfe

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    deleted
    Last edited by dakuda; 01-15-2012 at 08:46 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    8999-0217-8484-2180
    Meh, details.

Member #
    Friends
    0184-2458-2259-4743
    I can't wait to play Mario Kart with a wheel and Wii Fit with that funky looking balance board.
    I can see lots of games using both of those. Boxing with the fit board as well as the nunchuck and remote could be interesting..

Member #
    Friends
    Speaking of contollers...

I'm in Western, Australia, Perth... Anyone know where you can buy Gamecube genuine controllers and memory cards? Either a shop u can walk into or online... i've tried doing a search and have found nothing... any ideas?

Ads