LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by bubs
    This guy is on crack, my wiimote aims where i point it... the newb probably has the sensor at th ebottom of his screen or didnt bother checking the settings for sensor bar position in the options.
    1. Yes, I'm new to the Wii or I wouldn't be asking the question. Very intelligent of you to figure that one out. I bet you were great with your ABCs last year and building blocks too!!
    2. Nope, not on crack but I'm assuming if I wanted some that you would be my contact after reading some of your posts.
    3. Yes, I have a high enough intelligence to read the directions (mommy didnt' have to read them to me like someone else here... *cough... bubs *)

For those of you who wish to actually help or give input of value here is what I can tell you.

I have the sensor bar on its stand and I even have the stand on top of some CD cases to raise it to the very bottom edge of the viewing portion of the TV. Part of the problem could be the size of my TV. I have a 55" HDTV. My point and question in the post was about the way the remote works. The pointing of the Wii remote does not work like a light source as I expected. Due to this Nintendo needs to have a calibration or something to help adjust for wherever someone puts the sensor bar AND the size of their TV. I just thought I would check this forum just in case someone with intelligence had any other ideas. Hmmmm...

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Kainan
    1. Yes, I'm new to the Wii or I wouldn't be asking the question. Very intelligent of you to figure that one out. I bet you were great with your ABCs last year and building blocks too!!
    2. Nope, not on crack but I'm assuming if I wanted some that you would be my contact after reading some of your posts.
    3. Yes, I have a high enough intelligence to read the directions (mommy didnt' have to read them to me like someone else here... *cough... bubs *)

For those of you who wish to actually help or give input of value here is what I can tell you.

I have the sensor bar on its stand and I even have the stand on top of some CD cases to raise it to the very bottom edge of the viewing portion of the TV. Part of the problem could be the size of my TV. I have a 55" HDTV. My point and question in the post was about the way the remote works. The pointing of the Wii remote does not work like a light source as I expected. Due to this Nintendo needs to have a calibration or something to help adjust for wherever someone puts the sensor bar AND the size of their TV. I just thought I would check this forum just in case someone with intelligence had any other ideas. Hmmmm...
    This is strange, I too have never had any problems with the pointer and in my opinion the Wiimote is very precise. My sensor has always been on top of the tv though, you might try yours on top. Also, it sounds like your syncing is off. Have you tried resyncing your remote with your Wii in settings with the two dots and everything? Once you get things right, there really is no reason to have to resort to rigging things up around the tv to make it work better. The Wii is much better than this.

Signature by Syntax

Wii fan Boy till the end Bigjake52's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    3449-8056-9185-4637
    why dont you make one that is long enuff there are lots of plans on google. or have a dark room and light to candles by the tv that works 2
    We Would like to Update

Member #
    Friends
    Thanks for the input guys. I'll see if I can manage to get the sensor on top of the TV. I'm so surprised I'm having this much trouble. From 7' back I have to point the remote (both of them) a good foot too low if I were to measure with a light pen pointing at the TV. I did do the reset buttons with both remotes. One problem is that I have a big center channel speaker above my TV. This takes a stand to hold it up and brace it on the TV since the TV is pretty thin. Anyway, I might can fit it between the lip of the stand and the speaker. It is encouraging that you guys haven't had any problems. How big are your TVs? Just curious if it could have anything to do with it.

Member #
    Friends
    Mine is only 20", and is also a very thin lcd. I doubt the size has anything to do with it but is possible. If so, it would seem that a third party such as Nyko or something would have already thought to put a larger sensor bar on the market. Have you tried the syncing in Wii settings with the two dots that you move around on the tv screen? This makes things pretty precise.

Signature by Syntax

Member #
    Friends
    8012-6169-7562-1411
    Hmm.. i kinda know what your talking about..like the remote supposed to be perfect with where you are aiming it at the tv..and I gotta tell you..unless your setup is wrong, its pretty damn close to it..just mess around with your sensorbar

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Quote Originally Posted by LilWiiWii
    Hmm.. i kinda know what your talking about..like the remote supposed to be perfect with where you are aiming it at the tv..and I gotta tell you..unless your setup is wrong, its pretty damn close to it..just mess around with your sensorbar
    It won't be very close in most cases, since the spot where you would need to point for it to be accurate changes with your TV size, but the sensor bar is always the same. For example, if you got a 100" projection screen it would be very very inaccurate. You would still have to move your arm the same amount to get the pointer at the corner of the 100" screen as you would a 10" screen. So you would still be pointing relatively close to the center of a 100" screen to get the pointer at the far side of the screen.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    8745-5143-2651-5351
    I actually have my sensor bar above my TV with the settings believing it's below. This allows me aim the wiimote a little higher than a lightgun would require, and prop my arms comfortably. I'm not looking where I point my wiimote, I'm looking where the aiming reticule is, so any difference doesn't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by paintba||er

It won't be very close in most cases, since the spot where you would need to point for it to be accurate changes with your TV size, but the sensor bar is always the same. For example, if you got a 100" projection screen it would be very very inaccurate. You would still have to move your arm the same amount to get the pointer at the corner of the 100" screen as you would a 10" screen. So you would still be pointing relatively close to the center of a 100" screen to get the pointer at the far side of the screen.
    Only if you're standing the same distance away from the IR sources in both cases, which seems unlikely. Some combination of altering the distance between the two IR sources and/or the distance between you and the IR sources would yield the similar levels of accuracy in both cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Kainan
    Due to this Nintendo needs to have a calibration or something to help adjust for wherever someone puts the sensor bar AND the size of their TV. I just thought I would check this forum just in case someone with intelligence had any other ideas. Hmmmm...
    Software calibration would be nice. I'd be happy if a lot more about the wii controls were customizable.

Probably your best bet would be to visit avs' Nintendo subforum. They did some sensor bar mods for people with front projection tvs. I wouldn't be surprised if this has come up there.

But the poor man's solution is above. Distance between your and the sensor bar, and between the sensor bar's two ir sources will change how the wii remote transmits its pointer position.

As a quick primer (perhaps you already know this), the sensor bar doesn't sense anything, it simply has infrared leds on both sides (5 leds on each side, to provide some side-view--if it were a single led, you'd have to be dead on in front of it) powered by the wii (it could just as easily be powered with a DC converter or a battery, both mods exist already). The Wii remote has an infrared camera that detects both sources, then the chip plots them, translates that into positional data and sends it to the Wii via bluetooth.

You could unplug the sensor bar, get two candles (also an IR source), and play around with different distances--both between the two ir sources and between the wiimote and the ir sources--to find something ideal. Once you had it, there are plenty of DIY sensor bar specs that you could alter to your own specs. Someone else (who actually recalls high school trig) may have already come up with a spreadsheet that has ideal settings, and that forum above may know more. Good luck. Let us know if you come up with anything interesting.

MOHH2: AoW fortunz
    xfire: fortunzfavor

I am mianmini at IGN. fortunzfavor [at] netzero [dot] net

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    Ya, you could just lengthen the sensor bar or adjust your distance from it, but that still doesn't really change much. A game without a cursor would work very poorly on the Wii. It would be fun to play games similar to Duck Hunt where you have to try to point accurately without a cursor. But that would never work on the Wii.
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    I have partly solved this problem by my homemade sensor cubes. Read the bottom part of my report here.
    Theoretically, disregarding the position and the length of the sensor bar, the aiming position of the WiiMote and the onscreen cursor can be calibrated in the program. I guess there may be a game with that feature when the Zapper is released.

Ads