Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    the guy below- HES BACK!! Wiitime's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    1405-1695-6567-5492
    get a bunch of blankets and cover it up.... I have a closet in my room and its behind my tv, but its right next to each other. so if its a problem for me i am going to take a blanket and just cover it.. Then no problem!

Member #
    Friends

Sorry to burst your bubble

Quote Originally Posted by teqguy
    Furthermore, while on the topic of the sensor bar, I was looking into the whole sunlight issue.

In looking at a picture of the bar, you'll notice that the front is a dark semi-transparent plastic. The reason it's so dark is that the purplish-black color is actually a UV filter.
    Actually, it's designed to only pass light at infrared frequencies, which means it also filters visible light and probably most of the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum.
    Quote Originally Posted by teqguy
    This, in addition to the IR LED's restriction of frequency, should take care of any problems sunlight would usually cause.
    If this were a perfect world and the sun did not emit infrared light, this would be true....but it's not a perfect world, and yes, the sun does emit infrared light (Look here if you wanna be sure).

So unfortunately there is no quick fix for this problem except to keep the sensor bar out of direct sunlight

-Q

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Quatsch
    Actually, it's designed to only pass light at infrared frequencies, which means it also filters visible light and probably most of the rest of the electromagnetic spectrum.
    No, the diode itself filters visible light, but peaks just before UV, which is where the filter comes in.

Quote Originally Posted by Quatsch
    If this were a perfect world and the sun did not emit infrared light, this would be true....but it's not a perfect world, and yes, the sun does emit infrared light (Look here if you wanna be sure).

So unfortunately there is no quick fix for this problem except to keep the sensor bar out of direct sunlight

-Q
    The sun doesn't emit infrared light at every spectrum. The frequency at which most infrared technology operates is microns above and below the frequencies that it does emit.

Want proof? Take a TV remote out in the sun and try taking a picture of it while it's on with a digital camera. You'll still be able to see traces of the light in the picture.

As far as the whole sunlight debacle is concerned, it originated from an unusual setting in an unusual circumstance. At home, users will most likely be playing in a dim to dark setting- hardly the direct sunlight that plagued the demo setup.

In a usual setting, sunlight would create noticable glare on a screen before ever interrupting the controller, which is a concern that gamers and TV viewers alike have long compensated for.

End of story.

the guy below- HES BACK!! Wiitime's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1405-1695-6567-5492
    so i guess a blanket wont work???

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiitime
    so i guess a blanket wont work???
    A blanket would work, but why not just position your sensor bar decently?

As long as you place it relatively centered to the way you'll be facing, make sure it's at about the height of your torso, and don't intentionally point your Wiimote something other than the sensor bar, you should be fine.

Ads