LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

can the wii letterbox 16x9 games on a 4:3 tv?

Hi, first post.

I'm looking into buying a Wii. I have a 4:3 SD TV, but I still want to be able to play widescreen games in widescreen via letterboxing like a DVD does. Is this possible with the Wii? Does my tv need aspect ratio control, because I'm not sure if it does.

Also, the TV has component inputs. Do I need the component cables for widescreen? Is the 480p worth it over 480i?

Thanks a bunch

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Well When I Tired to play in widescreen everything looked out of place like you cant see the edges or anything like that, to play in widescreen I think your TV has to be like 16:9 mode
    Last edited by Pikachu256; 08-12-2007 at 09:03 AM.
    KryKidd

Member #
    Friends
    Hey, welcome to Wiichat. You don't need component cables for widescreen. 480p is definitely worth it if you have the capability (you said you have a SD television right?). The Wii comes with composite a/v cables and is capable of running in widescreen. You can purchase component cables separately if you like a clearer and finer tuned picture.

Signature by Syntax

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by WiiBad
    Hey, welcome to Wiichat. You don't need component cables for widescreen. 480p is definitely worth it if you have the capability (you said you have a SD television right?). The Wii comes with composite a/v cables and is capable of running in widescreen. You can purchase component cables separately if you like a clearer and finer tuned picture.
    thanks
    So the 480i will definitely run widescreen? will it run letterboxed, or only if connected via composite to a widescreen tv? I hope it's the former, as I really want to play in widescreen, but don't own a widescreen tv/monitor. I will probably buy the component video cables, but at a later date.

On another note... IS THERE ANYWHERE WITH A WII IN STOCK???
    Last edited by gregjp48; 08-12-2007 at 09:13 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    The Wii will run in widescreen in standard or enhanced definition; there is no setting for letterboxing, however you may be able to do this with a setting on a widescreen television if you like. You should be all set. As far as finding a Wii, this can still be a difficult endeavor, however it is much easier than in the past few months. After never seeing them in stock anywhere, there are often a few available at Walmart and the Gamestore in my town. One sure way, is anytime a place has them in their sales paper, such as Walmart, you can pretty much expect them to either have some in stock or be getting some in within a few days. Check sales papers and call around, maybe somewhere will hold one for you; just going to a store hoping to get one will probably leave you disappointed.

Signature by Syntax

Member #
    Friends
    I see a button on my remote called A*select, so maybe that's aspect ratio control, but I can't be sure.
    There's a gamestop near my house/school, so I can check there to see if they have any in stock by calling or whatever. I downloaded the wii finder widget from outtastock.com, for online retailers, and it should alert me when there's anything. I found like 1 bundle in stock that's like $450, but I really don't want aything right now but the $250 wii and twilight princess, and possibly an extra controller for Wii sports. Oh well, cross your fingers.

Member #
    Friends
    Twilight Princess and WiiSports should keep you going for quite awhile. As far as an extra remote, you don't really have to have one; on WiiSports you can easily trade off with the same remote during multiplayer (it's actually made to do this way, me and a couple other people played three player before...lots of fun). Not sure if you know, but the system comes with both a Wiimote and nunchuk; so, unless you just want two you can save money there too. Those bundles seem like too much of a gimmick to me, if you're persistant you should find what you want before too long.

Signature by Syntax

Member #
    Friends
    to be honest the only bundle i would get would be an extra Wiimote, with one or two games. One would be TP, two would be TP and MP3 when it comes out, as I doubt I'm going to be able to acquire a Wii before then anyway. I probably don't need the extra Wiimote right now though.

I've seen comparisons between 480i and 480p and I'm thinking that I should get the component cables, though apparently they're hard to find unless you order them online. If I played on 480i, I'm sure it wouldn't kill me right? It's not as if I'm on an HDTV, where it would matter a lot more. I use a computer monitor for my 360, but my monitor doesn't have component input (most monitors under 27" don't), so I may use a cheaper TV that I already own along side the computer monitor in my room, rather than take up the family room TV (playing a 40+ hour Zelda game would piss of the family). However, I'd be giving up 480p (no component inputs on that TV).

I really really really hope that I can letterbox it though, as it was the widescreen and the controls that convinced me to get a Wii now, rather than buy TP for gamecube, and get the Wii at a later date.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by gregjp48
    thanks

On another note... IS THERE ANYWHERE WITH A WII IN STOCK???
    Its hard to find Nintendo Wii's! I got mine from craigslist! http://www.craigslist.org then click on the area where you from then type in wii on the for sale section.
    Hope this helps.

Ads