LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    I agree that the fastest any reputable charger will do it is 1 hour. Those cost around $30 or so. The normal charge time is several hours for a regular reputable charger.

If you have a charger that claims less, that would set of red-flags in my mind. All sorts of products make all sorts of claims, there is reasonable and then there is shady. Just watch TV at 3am sometime to see the ads. Just because something makes a claim doesn't mean there's any truth behind it.

What are the brands and model #s of these chargers that claim 15 minutes?
    http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/CH15MN.pdf

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Ok here's the deal on that charger:

- the 15 min time is only for when you use the special batteries that came with it
    - These special batteries have a low internal resistance to allow super-fast charging. As a trade-off, you also get faster-than-normal "self discharge" rates. This is the rate that the battery will lose charge on its own, even when not powering a device.
    - the insanely-fast charging is done by using higher charge voltages than most chargers. This stresses the batteries more and can lead to premature failure. Most likely the flashing lights are due to bad batteries.
    - This rapid charging also causes the batteries to get hotter than normal chargers, which also shortens the cell life. The temps get even higher if you charge batteries that are already mostly-charged.

In short, this may charge some batteries in 15 mins but there's a price to pay. You're going to be buying new replacement rechargables that have to be Energizer batteries far more-often than you would otherwise. How convenient for Energizer, hmm? No wonder they put this sketchy product on the market.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    Ok here's the deal on that charger:

- the 15 min time is only for when you use the special batteries that came with it
    - These special batteries have a low internal resistance to allow super-fast charging. As a trade-off, you also get faster-than-normal "self discharge" rates. This is the rate that the battery will lose charge on its own, even when not powering a device.
    - the insanely-fast charging is done by using higher charge voltages than most chargers. This stresses the batteries more and can lead to premature failure. Most likely the flashing lights are due to bad batteries.
    - This rapid charging also causes the batteries to get hotter than normal chargers, which also shortens the cell life. The temps get even higher if you charge batteries that are already mostly-charged.

In short, this may charge some batteries in 15 mins but there's a price to pay. You're going to be buying new replacement rechargables that have to be Energizer batteries far more-often than you would otherwise. How convenient for Energizer, hmm? No wonder they put this sketchy product on the market.
    Well you're not pointing anything I myself wasn't already aware of here. The thing has a fan built into it to help cool the batteries. I knew going into it what the trade offs would be but I am curious how much of a difference it makes, if the batteries can withstand the stresses better than others. Without some testing, you won't ever know. In the end, I can charge quickly and use fewer batteries.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by mym6
    In the end, I can charge quickly and use fewer batteries.
    Fewer batteries compared to what?

Fewer batteries than buying alkaline? Certainly.

Fewer batteries (and less money in the long run) than if you bought a better charger/batteries? Probably not.

Other people have done that testing. Check on Google.

My theory is: unless you chew through your batteries faster than an hour and need that 15-min charge time, you save far more money getting a good charger that doesn't prematurely kill your NiMHs. The Energizer charger is simply the "inkjet" of the battery world: sell the user a product that seems cheap in the beginning, but design it in a way that forces them to constantly buy consumables at a rapid rate, faster than they really should.

I bought a charger and a bunch of AA and AAA batteries several years ago, and I'm still using the same batteries today.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    inkjet of the battery world. That is a good analogy.

Oh, Linux > BSD....I heard BSD was dying, netcraft confirms it.

Member #
    Friends
    just get eneloop with a good charger

Member #
    Friends
    5431-1607-7668-3461
    Quote Originally Posted by opitekk
    Here is where i bought my rechargeable batteries~ Go nuts

http://www.all-battery.com/index.asp...S&Category=145
    Whoa, those are cheap batteries. Thanks for the link.
    "My Pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my Charizard."

XBOX 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii owner.

Ads