LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Wii bricked explanation?

So just got my wii modded with the wiikey and well awaiting to get it through the mail.

I have several backups of wii games that are labeled NTSC format and very few Jp and PAL types. I keep hearing about this whole bricking of your wii if you play a game and dont use wiibrickblocker it may kill your wii.

So whats the deal?

Should i just use it on all of the games even if they are NTSC format or maybe just turn off the wireless feature.

im soooooo confused..

THanks

Member #
    Friends
    5431-1607-7668-3461
    You might want to take a look at the rules:

18. No Warez
    Posting up and asking for illegal warez is strictly prohibited. This includes but is not limited to: ROMs, isos, and game cracks. Violation of this Rule will usually result anywhere from a Warning to a Ban, depending on the offence.

http://www.wiichat.com/faq.php?faq=f...q_new_faq_item

I know you're not asking for ISOs, but Wii Key is linked to illegal backups so...
    "My Pokemon brings all the nerds to the yard. And they're like, "You wanna trade cards?" Damn right, I wanna trade cards. I'll trade this, but not my Charizard."

XBOX 360, PlayStation 3 and Nintendo Wii owner.

Do you feel lucky punk? wombateer's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    1598-2070-0499-1045
    A splap on the wrist for that fellow... go mod somewhere else!

Beyond Courage Lies Freedom!
    "It takes one man too start a war... and many die ending it!"

Plz add me I need friends...

Member #
    Friends
    2524-4702-5527-5865
    This has to do with imports, not iso's roms or whatever. Be careful about updating your Wii, that is where bricks will occur when Nintendo decides to brick everyone with a modchip. That is why my Wii isn't modded.
    edit: Just saw the word backups. BACKUPS. That means it is HIS GAMES.
    Spoiler Alert!

MSC friend- 468259 850529

Rep me if I help you, please.

Member #
    Friends
    Warning!!! Do not attemp to Mod your Wii with any thrid party firmware, Hardware or Software...Ie Wiikey, Action Replay (Datel)...First it voids any warenty on the Wii & Second the Wii Updates CAN detect any modifacation to your Wii...the more you Mod your Wii & the more updates that Wii Sends out...the more "Bricked your Wii will become... Use at your Own Risk!

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by mn777saint
    Warning!!! Do not attemp to Mod your Wii with any thrid party firmware, Hardware or Software...Ie Wiikey, Action Replay (Datel)...First it voids any warenty on the Wii & Second the Wii Updates CAN detect any modifacation to your Wii...the more you Mod your Wii & the more updates that Wii Sends out...the more "Bricked your Wii will become... Use at your Own Risk!
    Yes, which is why most mod chips claim to be "stealth". Blocking diode maybe? Who knows. Could care less about playing "backups", those interested in massive game libraries without paying for them will end up paying for them in the long run. I suggest investing in something like GameFly or so for those interested in an alternative to pirated software. (NOT directing that comment to anyone specific!)

The most interesting thing about the mod chips personally is I am all about the homebrew. Looking forward to see what comes about WiiLi (Linux distro for the Wii) and others. Once my warranty runs out I may consider getting one myself, however that depends on ALOT of factors that cannot be answered at the present date. It will depend heavily what is available as well as if it is worth the risks or not.

Best of luck to you innerrefle.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    8012-6169-7562-1411
    Yea mod chips sound cool and all, but any modification to the standard console is not great for it. Anything can happen with these updates from Nintendo you really never know. I was intrigued when I saw these mod chips become available but I really don't trust anyone/myself with soldering or inputing anything into my perfect console, Maybe if I had two..

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Reminder: The game companies are far beyond pissed off at people who are modding their consoles. They are taking action. All companies 3 will brick your console if you mod it. You have been warned. I'm glad too. This reduces the amount of hackers/vagrants in online games. They ruined MGSO to the point where Konami just decided to close the servers.

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by sagema
    Reminder: The game companies are far beyond pissed off at people who are modding their consoles.
    Hardware manufacturers are more interested in protecting there profits than the hardware they provide.

With that in mind it really depends on what you DO with your modded console that makes the difference. Sony opened up the doors to homebrew by means of just making it available on release to it's overpriced toy, and Nintendo plans to push it's own homebrew style software via WiiWare. Xbox 360 Live! to my knowledge does (or will) provide homebrew downloads as part of it's service. If it wasn't for things like mod chips such ideas would probably never been conceived by companies such as Nintendo and others.

Personally I don't like the idea of paying for something that is generally provided for free anyways. Things like the Nintendo's Oprah browser isn't so bad, but $5 USD (500 points) for something specially ported verses $5 for something specially written and is as boring as watching grass grow are two different things.

Again if it wasn't for mod chips and other inventive hacks I doubt there would be any incentive to allow low end 3rd party developers even a chance to take advantage of there hardware. It's also to my understanding that a lot of the Wii's firmware is built upon open source technology, such a Bit Torrent for example, which has helped keep the price tag for the Wii considerably low. Most console homebrew and open source software pretty much walk hand in hand, either by porting of existing software or by means of community contributed content.

Rest assured that companies will continue to develop means of protecting there media, and people will continue to work about means to crack it. At least they're starting to acknowledge those who enjoy there hardware in a legally alternative manner now, as they continue to strive to find new means of preventing those who intend to rip them off.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by masonb15
    Just saw the word backups. BACKUPS. That means it is HIS GAMES.

Ahahahhahahahha...

So he imported games, then made his own backups of those imported games, and now wants to play those backups?

Ads