+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenNevets
    Um yea..... Which console is the Wii on par with graphically? How much does a reg xbox cost now? The Wii is not much cheaper than a 360 yet the 360 is insanely better graphically. Then with the controller price, yea... It offsets it.

Every system has good games though. If it weren't for the Nintendo franchises there is no way I would've gotten a Wii.
    There is too much mario...

Way to much mario.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt.McCloud
    There is too much mario...

Way to much mario.
    So what is left? 1st party is mostly mario, 2nd party is decent, 3rd party is meh.
    Graphics are bad or only on par with last-gen, online is meh.

The controllers are the only thing, certainly a big thing but everything else really lacks.

a;lfjljljf2;lasf

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by StevenNevets
    So what is left? 1st party is mostly mario, 2nd party is decent, 3rd party is meh.
    Graphics are bad or only on par with last-gen, online is meh.

The controllers are the only thing, certainly a big thing but everything else really lacks.
    Worse then last gen graphics, my friend the wii has better graphics then last gen, check out all the specs if you want.

1st party nintendo can be good, zelda and such.

2nd is ok

3rd can suck and can be good.

Member #
    Friends
    graphics are overrated!!!

(Only a complete idiot would say such a thing. the wii cant even handle some of the simplest elements of next gen games)

WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    Friends
    3881-9484-9041-5848
    Quote Originally Posted by mrpiddly
    graphics are overrated!!!

(Only a complete idiot would say such a thing. the wii cant even handle some of the simplest elements of next gen games)
    May i remind you that Crysis is PC vista only dx10.

It is also an amazing game

I need to get a good enough pc for that game alone.

Member #
    Friends
    Howdy Folks!

It's completely dependent on the game genre, art direction, and other elements. While I believe there's a minimum "floor" that has continued to escalate (I'm certainly glad we had Mario Sunshine on the GC, and that it was much graphically interesting than an 8-bit Mario), I don't believe a game has to push the graphic envelope to be fun.

Mario Galaxy, Zelda, MP8 and even Metroid that matter have graphics that work well with the design and subject matter.

Cell based animation (which I happen to think is an amazing style) in PS2games like Okami are easily handled by the hardware and amazingly fun to play.

If you want to talk about games grounded in reality, or "action reality" like any of the commando type titles (with our without aliens or mutants ), I guess it's a bit more immersive. We were playing Resistance: Fall of Man on the PS3 (on a pretty optimized display and audio system here at home), and after about 15-20 minutes, the quality of the graphics had subsided, and the game got good/bad/indifferent on the story/mechanics, and while it was fun in two player mode, it wasn't any more fun than less graphically advanced PS2 games of the same style.

I guess I get over the "eye candy" pretty quickly (having been in the computer industry for 20+ years, I don't really get amazed by much) and fall back on entertainment. I (we, the wifey too) enjoy games with simple game mechanics, interesting storylines and original presentation.

Part of my problem, admittedly, is working on a PC for hours at a time, I find the simple game models that the Wii uses, and the controller a welcome break.

YMMV.

~DT

Member #
    Friends
    thats not the point of it. He believes that graphics are at their current maximum level with prey and shouldnt be pushed any further.

Member #
    Friends
    4855-3513-2198-8739
    I think that in the future we get graphics that are real-life

But I agree with [DT] when you first play a title the graphics are great! But after an hour or 2 or when you saw all the amazing things the next-gen title offers on graphics you look past them. And than theres only game-play left.
    Tip of the day:
    A big mistake a lot of you make is that wiiware games will be free.

Wiiware is just the same like the virtual console. Its different in that it offers new games instead of old console games.

I can think of some easy games ( Like tetris and some other in that direction ) that can be free but the majority will cost money.

Member #
    Friends
    unless the entire game depends on the graphic/game engine like many are starting to. Bendable vegitation that makes noise and alerts the enemy is just one example. Or how almost any building can be blown up to be used as cover, look for BFBC which has a really good looking demo of that.

Member #
    Friends
    5385-4035-7079-0395
    *originally a handheld gamer*

Yeah....graphics don't matter..

@ sovieto. the wii just passed the 360 in sales, both profit margins and units.

Ads