^Samsung!? What are you basing that on?

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by austinAlan
    It's not a prototype. The Wii is absolutely not a prototype. Nintendo's philosophy is to build a gaming system that is fun, affordable and profitable.
    Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing
    Yes, and they will master that process by learning from their mistakes with the wii.
    The WII appears to be profitable (which is a pretty objective metric) and given the rate at which they've been selling, I would be inclined to believe it is also "Fun and Affordable" (that latter of which I believe is the thorn in Sony's side - perceived or real by the consumer).

You keep suggesting that the WII wasn't engineered to a specific requirement - that it's some kind of interim "pre-release" version (your use of the word prototype) for testing the viability of the platform? I'll refer back to myself:

Quote Originally Posted by ME
    I'm convinced Nintendo did a cost/value/performance assessment and determined a good price point for the hardware, knowing their brand equity, motion controls and key titles like the Mario franchise would work to their favor. Guess what? They were right.
    It's as simple as that. Videogames have projected life cycles, target demographics, etc., and I think trying to make something more complex out of the machine is off base. This machine is only as interim as any ongoing incremental model upgrade cycle.

Take cars for instance - is the current C6 Corvette a prototype? Of course not - it's a self-contained model with a targeted life cycle, demographic, price and performance point. Will there be things GM learns from it? Of course! It was the first Vette to implement push-button start, factory HID, the new LS2/LS7 engines, etc., the next model will be better as a result of the current generation, but it's not some placeholder/prototype.

Quote Originally Posted by LevesqueIsKing
    It can be argued that anything that is new and isn't of normality is a prototype, simply because the next addition will be even better.
    FYI, it can't. Introduction of new concepts, features and technology into a +production+ product with the understanding that the next generation might make use of them as well as *improve* on them isn't really a prototype.

~DT

Member #
    Friends
    FWIW, I don't want to sound *harsh* or anything - I'm hoping this is educational/production/interesting for everyone. Please don't interpret the tone as hostile or condescending.

I have to make a point to remember this board (vs. some other MB's) has a pretty radically different group of users (ages, professional backgrounds, interests, etc.) and adjust my delivery accordingly

An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    lmao, wasn't actually expecting anyone to call me out on that.

Yes , I suppose I could have chosen a better word, however, there is no need to take the word so literally because you obviously knew what I meant.

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

Member #
    Friends
    0999-0322-0469-1717
    Well...
    I don't know. If Nintendo decides to keep the "family" thing ( Wii being a family console, unlike PS3 and Xbox which are more "hardcore")... then I truly don't know what nintendo will do next.

If Nintendo decides they want to make a next gen console....
    wow. Imagine a Wii with PS3 graphics??
    Wii stuff: Modded Wii, 2 wiimotes and nunchucks, 2 gamecube controllers
    Wii games: Wii Sports, Strikers, Rampage, WarioWare, Resident Evil 4, Metroid Prime 3, Super Paper Mario, Mario Party 8

An Instant Classic LevesqueIsKing's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    ^I can already see the advertisement (for a more family-friendly console):

Wii 2 - Now comes packaged with a free couch for your living room!

Not to fit a mold,

Not to join a trend,

Not to follow a crowd

Member #
    Friends
    I believe that the console idea may possibly fade away. We could possible switch over completely to just using pc's for gaming as we move forward. PC's are far more expandable than any console and offer much more to users. It's simple, and much more efficient. Heck, if I had some say in Nintendo I'd suggest they make a move into the PC industry and start release games, software, and hardware that is in prodution with a pc. The difficult thing though is that it has to be compatible with Windows and since Microsoft is in the same business that would be like Nintendo requesting the ability to release SSBB on the XBox 360 but not give a dime to Microsoft.

Please feel free to contact me for any SBTourney related questions at:
    mingus@smashbrostourney.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Ads