LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    Companies say lots of things. They aren't always true and they aren't always held to any standard of having to tell the truth.

In other words, just because Nintendo made a claim about the law doesn't make it true, and just because it has/was allowed to persist doesn't mean it was ever contested/proven/etc.

In this case, the law would seem to contradict what Nintendo is trying to claim:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#117
    Not at all - FYI, I have some legal background and have done some consulting in copyright law, derivative work, IP/IC, etc.

The law cited only implies coverage for the content in question - Nintendo could lobby that video game media doesn't fall into "computer program" but under the Title codes that protect entertainment media. I bet there's a 1000 page license agreement locked up in the Nintendo tower that covers all the esoteric details.

Not to mention (and this could be the clincher), if making an "archive copy" requires bypassing copy protection, the act of making a usable copy violates a handful of laws in and of itself. This is/was the sticky situation for companies producing DVD/DVR/Ripping type devices - DVD CCA said it's OK to copy them but not bypass DRM.

Er, OK, so that's like a yes, but not really

For that matter, you might even argue that copy protection in itself violates Chapter 1/Section 117 as it disallows you to make that archive copy which you are supposedly entitled to do.

I do know that the Feds cracked down in the US on dozens of ModChip companies and those people are potentially facing serious charges (i.e., a device to bypass copy protection, even if it's marketed for "archive copies" violates some interpretation of Chapter 1/DRM/DMCA).

Good food for thought though

~DT

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Right, I'm aware of the Fair-Use vs. DMCA contradiction. They have yet to resolve that one for good in court. You'd think that the people who pass the laws would sort out fundamental (and blatantly-obvious) stuff like this before passing the laws, but welcome to the USA.

But... do Wii discs have any sort of copy protection?
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by sremick
    Right, I'm aware of the Fair-Use vs. DMCA contradiction. They have yet to resolve that one for good in court. You'd think that the people who pass the laws would sort out fundamental (and blatantly-obvious) stuff like this before passing the laws, but welcome to the USA.

But... do Wii discs have any sort of copy protection?
    [ edit: wasn't sure what the language tolerance was in here ]

They must, I've been trying to copy the dang things for months!

I kid, I kid
    Last edited by [DT]; 09-14-2007 at 02:42 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    Well that makes some sense, ie the "it's legal to copy but not legal to crack/hack or whatever the DRM."

Of course it's just data on a disk ultimately and it does seem to me that creating a hardware reader that could read it bit for bit and reproduce it irrespective of the content of the software should also technically be legal IMO.

Oh well.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    Yeah, the used/preowned stuff can be a little sketchy! We've been on Netflix for years, and I'm amazed at some of the DVD's we get.
    switch to Blockbuster. havent had a broken DVD since i switched over. AND a free in store game rental every month, seven dollar value, AND in store free rentals (now rivaled by netflix's online movies though, hows that work btw?)

anyways on topic.. DVD's are reliable enough.. just dont treat your 50 dollar purchase like crap!
    Last edited by SensesFail; 09-14-2007 at 10:41 PM.

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

6ix
    Member #
    Friends
    You can smear a banana over the back of any DVD or CD and then wipe it off with the peel and spray windex wipe the rest off with a towel and after 10 minutes and all of those minor scratches come right off. Just throwing that out there.

Member #
    Friends
    6772-9484-5615-6705
    Quote Originally Posted by 6ix
    You can smear a banana over the back of any DVD or CD and then wipe it off with the peel and spray windex wipe the rest off with a towel and after 10 minutes and all of those minor scratches come right off. Just throwing that out there.

you gotta be kidding...bannana go's into the mouth not CD's silly
    Pre-Apocalypse Wiichatter.
    Remaining Survivor of the Wii In Australia Members.

Member #
    Friends
    I know EA (in the UK at least) operate a policy where you can get ruined discs replaced at £10 for a new disc. It's somewhere in the manual or other paperwork that comes with the game.

Ads