LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

I'm new to consoles, why no game backups?

I can't believe that I have this flimsy DVD as my only copy of an expensive game. Please catch me up on why we're being screwed or can I make a copy and play it without mod chipping the console? Will game companies send a free new copy of a game if you send them a broken disk say a year or so after purchase?

Member #
    Friends
    7223-3534-5566-9128
    you can save the files on SD card.
    Owner of PS3 and Wii. Playing Unreal Tournament 3 at the moment. Everything else is on hold.
    PSN - arcticreaver

Member #
    Friends
    He's talking about the original game media NOT saved games.

DVD's are reasonably robust - I've never had an original DVD (movie or game disc) go bad. They're not fragile (buy a blank and try to snap it in half), just prone to surface scratches if they're left out and tossed around (and even then, the error correction system in most readers can handle a fair amount of scuffs).

I agree that $50-60 isn't chump change - so I'd be diligent to return games to their cases after playing to keep them mint!

FWIW, Gamecube games has explicit notice in the package that "Backup or duplication even for archive was not permitted by law" (something to that effect). I believe they had a media replacement warranty for like 12 months.

~DT

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    He's talking about the original game media NOT saved games.

DVD's are reasonably robust - I've never had an original DVD (movie or game disc) go bad. They're not fragile (buy a blank and try to snap it in half), just prone to surface scratches if they're left out and tossed around (and even then, the error correction system in most readers can handle a fair amount of scuffs).

I agree that $50-60 isn't chump change - so I'd be diligent to return games to their cases after playing to keep them mint!

FWIW, Gamecube games has explicit notice in the package that "Backup or duplication even for archive was not permitted by law" (something to that effect). I believe they had a media replacement warranty for like 12 months.

~DT
    Well you're probably right that they will last as long as I want to play them. I'll chill out.

I bought a used Zelda from a retailer and it had a tiny scratch that made it completely unplayable. Luckily they refunded the purchase but still it's not as indestructible as book for example.

Member #
    Friends
    Yeah, the used/preowned stuff can be a little sketchy! We've been on Netflix for years, and I'm amazed at some of the DVD's we get.

Hahaha, they look like someone went over them with an orbital sander! Our downstairs DVD player is a little fussy too - we've had to migrate to the cheaper Sony upstairs on a few occasions to finish a movie! I'm always happy when we get a movie early in its circulation, befire kids have had a change to toss it around outside...

Used stuff I always try to check out the disc, and then immediately boot it at home just to confirm it will fire up.

I also try to keep my "loan circle" down to a few folks I know are as hardcore about taking care of stuff as I am, so I know I'll get it back in the same condition as I loaned it.

Kind of a sidebar, but one of the selling points of BD (Blueray) is the media is supposed to be super resilient because of the final mastering process.

Member #
    Friends
    The Zelda flaw I had was very small and if you played the disk it went cleanly through the opening and died when you pressed A to continue. It was hard to fault anyone for that one except the person who sold it originally because you know they knew it didn't work.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT]
    FWIW, Gamecube games has explicit notice in the package that "Backup or duplication even for archive was not permitted by law" (something to that effect).
    Companies say lots of things. They aren't always true and they aren't always held to any standard of having to tell the truth.

In other words, just because Nintendo made a claim about the law doesn't make it true, and just because it has/was allowed to persist doesn't mean it was ever contested/proven/etc.

In this case, the law would seem to contradict what Nintendo is trying to claim:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/92chap1.html#117
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    6772-9484-5615-6705
    i thinks what thats trying to say is that you can burn a game (or computer thingy) AS LONG that you dont use it for selling puposes
    Pre-Apocalypse Wiichatter.
    Remaining Survivor of the Wii In Australia Members.

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwilliiy
    i thinks what thats trying to say is that you can burn a game (or computer thingy) AS LONG that you dont use it for selling puposes
    Right, which is what the OP, austinAlan, wanted to do... and what Nintendo was/is trying to say you can't do (as mentioned by DT).

What the law actually says and what Nintendo is trying to say it is appear to be quite different.
    Quote Originally Posted by Napalmbrain (Moderator)
    Even if we can somehow keeps this place moderated, eventually the webhosting is going to lapse or something like that, and I doubt i0n's going to be around to fix it. So basically I'm encouraging everyone to migrate over to Link Removed
    Quote Originally Posted by FR. (Moderator)
    i0n just lost interest in this website. And, since no forum can run without an administrator, this forum is basically doomed. Everyone might as well join somewhere else, because if i0n doesn't pay vBulletin, the site will shut down.

Member #
    Friends
    6772-9484-5615-6705
    well, you got the government behind ur back so if nintendo tries doing something you got evidence that you havent broke the law
    Pre-Apocalypse Wiichatter.
    Remaining Survivor of the Wii In Australia Members.

Ads