Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    4496-9128-1304-3457

EA Dethroned by Nintendo

Many of you are aware that EA has pulled in over a billion dollars year on year, ranking them #1 for 5 solid years. Well those days are gone, Nintendo finally dethroned EA. EA makes an average of a new game every 3rd day of the year(around 180 per year). Activision, their closest competitor makes half that amount, most companies make 3-20 games a year. The days of flooding the market with more of the same hopefully will be at the bottom of the list.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6180600.html

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    7520-1748-8739-4891
    W00T Nintendo rules!
    Wii Online Code: 7520-1748-8739-4891
    360 Gamertag: IttyBittyNinja

Member #
    Friends
    I'm not really sure how I feel about casual gaming taking over. I've always been a fan of the whole "hardcore gaming" kinda thing. Something about playing a game that makes my heart race as I fight through 20 people to secure an area and then fight some boss just seems a little more fun. I hope these sects of gaming will stay true and not fall victim to the "gaming on the run" attitude.

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by GThwaite
    I'm not really sure how I feel about casual gaming taking over. I've always been a fan of the whole "hardcore gaming" kinda thing. Something about playing a game that makes my heart race as I fight through 20 people to secure an area and then fight some boss just seems a little more fun. I hope these sects of gaming will stay true and not fall victim to the "gaming on the run" attitude.
    I think you will be alright. Just think about this, the more money Nintendo can squeeze out of the casual gamer's pockets the more it can invest (and create) more hardcore gamers like you. I see it as a win/win situation here.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisKhaos
    I think you will be alright. Just think about this, the more money Nintendo can squeeze out of the casual gamer's pockets the more it can invest (and create) more hardcore gamers like you. I see it as a win/win situation here.
    Yeah I know they will still have some good games. But there will be a noticeable change in the way games are made. These people don't care about you having fun, they want the money(however the two go hand in hand in most cases). But who has more money? Adults or kids who get their money through the adults. Adults (30+) are generally going to have a much different taste in games than a kid (ages 10-17) and young adults (18-25). However more companies, like EA, who commonly make games that we enjoy, are going to be replaced with some putt-putt game or golf game that your dad might like to play (I know some kids like to play golf games, but there are also kids who like to cut themselves). These things are said in the most general of sense so please don't post with your life story proving me wrong. And as for the guy who says EA puts out more of the same, I don't really know where you're coming from. I guess you want hits like Battlefield and NCAA to be replaced with mini games? Ok.....

Member #
    Friends
    7527 1826 6337 6464
    Quote Originally Posted by KrisKhaos
    that is so true, i never looked at it this way. but the thing is, WILL nintendo use it for the Wii in good ways like they are in mario galaxy, brawl and mario kart. ....or will it be $$$ for staff bonuses and raises.....or worse....more casual games

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by GThwaite
    At one time i was proud to call myself a gamer and take the occasional snicker people would give, but now it seems everyone and their grandmother call themselves gamers.
    Extreme-Mods.com - Extreme Gamers NEED Extreme-Mods

Member #
    Friends
    Well it looks like you have no choice but to relax and get your mini-game on.

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    EA has ruled the gaming industry in the USA with an iron fist of poor hiring standards, outsourcing that would make sweat shops look sane, and work hours of 80 hours a week, no days off for 2 months (destroying even the most hardcore employees). It has resulted in mass lay offs, lawsuits that violate even the most generous labor standards, and a brutal monopoly over their competition by flooding game shelves with more of their product than anyone else. I'm glad to see them off the top, and I hope those that replace them will be Microsoft, Konami, Capcom, Sony, and any other company that at leasts understands you can't get quality work with the whip.
    Last edited by sagema; 10-08-2007 at 11:20 PM.

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by lloyd_yayo
    that is so true, i never looked at it this way. but the thing is, WILL nintendo use it for the Wii in good ways like they are in mario galaxy, brawl and mario kart. ....or will it be $$$ for staff bonuses and raises.....or worse....more casual games
    Nintendo isn't new to this business like some (Ahem, Sony and Microsoft), and have had a track record of good customer relations since there first console debut. Matter's of fact it could be said that it was Nintendo's strong fan base that kept the GameCube boat afloat as it trailed along in 3rd place last-gen. Nintendo isn't going to forget about you.

With Nintendo christening more and more casual gamers before you know those casual gamers will become hooked and wanting more to satisfy there newly found game addiction. Soon you have a fresh new breed of hardcore gamers that too will expect some more serious games, and I don't see Nintendo wanting there freshly created monsters getting bored and running over to the other side to feed there cravings.

As far as Nintendo "dethroning" EA - more power to them. I'm not fond of EA's clone job of "MS's global conquest" of buying out everything that looks good attitude, and it's about time someone showed them up a little.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Ads