LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by JeremyGTS
    where would you connect it? USB? the n64 had a slot open just for this i believe all nintendo consoles at some sort of expansion slot on them except the wii.
    Yes they would have to be usb as their is no other way

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_louis_1986
    Yes they would have to be usb as their is no other way
    The issue with this is the system architecture - for (relative) high performance graphics the GPU, CPU, DSP's, are tied together via a high speed bus - the ATI GPU has a 128-bit memory interface to the Wii's RAM if I recall correctly.

Details aside - you can't easily hang outboard video accelerators/enhancers off a USB port - the Wii, if Nintendo was expecting to enhance it as that low level, would've been designed with an expansion slot similar to a PC design - note how PC's have specific slots designed for video cards, that have high speed bus'es and direct access to CPU/etc., through high speed memory controllers (i.e., PCI-E and AGP).

Even though there has been some development in the PC marketplace for graphic enhancements done via "non-slot" based ports - you have to generally consider USB for peripherals like Keyboards, Mice and external HD's.

~DT
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Friends
    I dont think USB would be a good way to add anything in terms of an upgrade except for either a hard disk drive, or an exterior disk drive - for NES/SNES etc (though that wont happen as it'll render VC pointless and no money for nintendo). I cant see them plugging RAM or a graphics card in through USB!

Member #
    Friends
    2783-8719-1866-4201
    Headsets would be cool, but I doubt it would ever happen due to Nintendo's Health & Safety Policies. =/

-=Join The Waluigi Fan Club=-
    --- Wii Friend Code: 2783-8719-1866-4201 ---
    --- MoH:H2 Persona: shrimpy20 ---
    --- Want more info? PM me! ---
    --- http://www.hellzoneclan.org ---

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by shrimpy20
    Headsets would be cool, but I doubt it would ever happen due to Nintendo's Health & Safety Policies. =/
    The DS has a headset

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by toxicstar
    Couldn't they just add on the headset option through the updates. They sure need to add one, maybe they are waiting for Brawl to come around before they release that update, hopefully.
    yeah, since brawl has been confirmed of co-op, how else would you co-operate without communication? it is very much needed

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by shrimpy20
    Nintendo has had several lawsuits leveled against it. It has been sued over thr wrist straps, over the miis and over the wiimote itself. And there was an article in the newspaper about a pedofile trying to entice a child though the DS's pictochat, and more recently, there was an uproar over the wii zapper. When you consider how Nintendo has been under the magnifying glass, can anyone really wonder why they are so paranoid?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by uk_louis_1986
    Most of you will prob know about the n64 expansion pak, I think it would be great if nintendo could release something like this for the wii, they could add full high def and better textures to the console. I think the wii is great btw and i think this should be an extra not a must have. what do you guys think, can you think of any other adons the wii could have
    What I want the most is the head set and USB support for an external memory device. I think the USB lash drive would be perfect for the wii! It's tiny and it could plug in the back of the wii, out of site.

come to the dark side.... dark samus's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    7159-9733-2785-0220
    i found something when i was experimenting with site names, i typed in the wii site but with au and it comes up with 'cwii coming soon..'(but the c was connected to the w) a new wii maybe? =/ go look yourselfs

guitar hero friend code: 451091730984
    PM me if you wanna add me.

Ads