Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Widgets suck

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Widgets suck

I'm sorry, but this is my disappointment of the day! When I heard "Widget View MODE" I was thinking it would be some new way to view the web on the wii with all our personalized widgets right there, you know, something special. But this, this just sucks! Great, I can open the browser and go to the page and open a calendar or a calculator! BIG DEAL! I still have to go and open it from the web site! That DOES NOT constitute a M O D E! This is crap and I'm pissed and disappointed!

D S
    Member #
    Friends
    8371-1413-5471-1722
    What? I've not heard of this "Widget Mode"
    Join -No External Links.

If you wish to add me as a "Wii Friend" PM me
    D S ~~Since 1992

Member #
    Friends
    0000-0000-0000-0000
    me niether

PSN daviduk2000

Gamertag daviduk2000

Member #
    Friends
    it's in the latest update. i don't have a link to it but google it and you should be able to find a press release.

Member #
    Friends
    5930-2204-0713-5850
    I just posted this in a thread that i had asked the same question of because i had heard of the widget view mode and didnt know what it was either.

"The Nintendo Wii also embraces Web content and applications in a revolutionary new way with the debut of Widget View Mode in the Internet Channel. By surfing to widgets.opera.com users can browse Opera’s collection of community-built, Opera-tested Web applications immediately ready to run on the Nintendo Wii Internet Channel.

Widgets available now include calendars, news readers, Internet radios and other fun applications. Users of Opera’s desktop browser will immediately recognize their favorite widgets on this new platform. Web developers can publish widgets on Opera’s website to make them available to Wii users. For more information on creating widgets, please visit widgets.opera.com"

From http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewtopic&s=wii&topic=2630

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyman2
    I just posted this in a thread that i had asked the same question of because i had heard of the widget view mode and didnt know what it was either.

"The Nintendo Wii also embraces Web content and applications in a revolutionary new way with the debut of Widget View Mode in the Internet Channel. By surfing to widgets.opera.com users can browse Opera’s collection of community-built, Opera-tested Web applications immediately ready to run on the Nintendo Wii Internet Channel.

Widgets available now include calendars, news readers, Internet radios and other fun applications. Users of Opera’s desktop browser will immediately recognize their favorite widgets on this new platform. Web developers can publish widgets on Opera’s website to make them available to Wii users. For more information on creating widgets, please visit widgets.opera.com"

From http://wii.ds-scene.net/?act=viewtopic&s=wii&topic=2630
    I believe they are talking about web pages can be specifically optimized for the Wii, and not a direct option you as the user can play with unless the web site supports them. A lot of today's special web effects use web widgets, so it's just a matter of time before sites become Wii optimized.

-EDIT-
    Okay, I may be wrong on this and could be possible add-ons and not compatibility with site development widgets. I will play with this tomorrow on the Wii and see what I can come up with. My bad.
    Last edited by KrisKhaos; 10-11-2007 at 10:41 PM.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    4855-3513-2198-8739
    This just means that theres a page that showcases every application users have made for the opera web browser. And these now work on the wii. Big deal.... Its not like we "gain" anything from it

A calendar, a calculator etc etc
    Tip of the day:
    A big mistake a lot of you make is that wiiware games will be free.

Wiiware is just the same like the virtual console. Its different in that it offers new games instead of old console games.

I can think of some easy games ( Like tetris and some other in that direction ) that can be free but the majority will cost money.

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by spacegravity4me
    I'm sorry, but this is my disappointment of the day! When I heard "Widget View MODE" I was thinking it would be some new way to view the web on the wii with all our personalized widgets right there, you know, something special. But this, this just sucks! Great, I can open the browser and go to the page and open a calendar or a calculator! BIG DEAL! I still have to go and open it from the web site! That DOES NOT constitute a M O D E! This is crap and I'm pissed and disappointed!
    Once you download more widgets they <i>will</i> be there. Chill out. Why would a new mode consist of a calculator and a calendar?
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

A guy who ain't named Bob wiigotdawii's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by samXcor3
    Once you download more widgets they <i>will</i> be there. Chill out. Why would a new mode consist of a calculator and a calendar?
    Dude bbc not html.
    If I helped you, please rep me, leave your name and I'll rep you back (ya can't go wrong there)!
    All Hail The Wiiiiiii!
    Game to buy list (in order of importance to me)
    1. Super Smash Bros. Brawl
    2. Battalion Wars II
    3. Super Mario Galaxy
    4. Force Unleashed (Wii)
    5. Iron Man (Wii)

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    Okay, finally got around to testing this...

First, THEY ARE web widgets, and the link http://widgets.opera.com/ will ONLY show the Internet Channel compatible widgets when using the Internet Channel only. These widgets can be added to personal pages for your usage, and are NOT actually installed onto your Wii.

(Note: Using a typical PC browser that is not spoofing the Wii's version of the Opera browser will load a different set!)

Here is a link to the list of features...
    http://www.opera.com/products/device.../wii/features/

Sorry for the delay however this was least on my priority list, and I attempt to keep my word.

Thanks.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Ads