Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Are emulators legal?

what if u own or use a game cd to play on the pc

Member #
    Friends
    No,because your not copyrighting anything your are just downloading the game.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by idok
    No,because your not copyrighting anything your are just downloading the game.
    Not sure what you mean by copyrighting, but emulators are perfectly legal. It's playing/downloading/sharing games owned by companies that is not legal.

You could write your own programs to run on the emulators, and that would also be legal.

Member #
    Friends
    true its just like what kazza is. It's legal for them to offer the service, but it is illegal for their users to download free mp3s.

formerly known as wii-fi

Member #
    Friends
    what if i have an original psx game cd and i used the emulator to play it. Would it be different if I didn't own the system.

Member #
    Friends
    Then you will fry in jail ha ha ha ha!

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by anon413
    what if i have an original psx game cd and i used the emulator to play it. Would it be different if I didn't own the system.
    I really doubt they would do anything. You aren't giving copies of the game out, or making money off of it. Not many companies will want to spend a fan and money to stop you when you're not hurting them. That's why the RIAA looks for people sharing the files more than those downloading.

Member #
    Friends
    5181-5093-6007-8440
    ok, emulators technically are not legal for you to play games on that you do not own. there is some debate that if you own the actual game that you can download a copy as a backup. if you do not own the game, you are required to delete it within 24 hours of download. so whether it is legal or not is debatable. but i think that they are illegal and you should not resort to that process of obtaining games.
    I accept wii friends, just pm me before you add me

Member #
    Friends
    So, Emulators are very Gray Area.

They are legal for one specific use, under very specific circumstances, but many things you could do are Illegal.

If you own a hard copy of the game you are playing a ROM of, you're good.

However, Distributing Emulators is illegal, as it is basically the same as selling third party gaming consoles. They own the operating system for the game console, so by making a system that runs the games, you are under US copyright law committing a crime.

Possession of ROMs that you don't own a license for (In most cases a hard copy of the game) is a copyright violation. Under US law, each count carries a $10k fine and five years in federal prison.
    Distributing ROMs is also almost totally illegal. Basically, you would have to show that You AND the Person you gave the ROM to BOTH own legal copies of the game, and that you knew this before hand. Otherwise, same as above for legal ramifications.

That being said, If you for example own an old NES, and have copies of the old NES cartridges, and Rip the games into ROMs, and play them on an emulator on the computer, that's legal. And if the DMCA goons come and get you, they will have to apologize and release you after your trial. After sitting in Jail waiting for trial for 5 years as they fight over jurisdiction.
    Pokemon Diamond: Name:Sif FC:3952 3555 4891

Now Trading 1st, 3rd, & 4th gen starters, Phione, Rotom, Porygon, Dratini, Kecleon, Feebas, Castform, Tyrogue, and anything else I can breed.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by anon413
    what if u own or use a game cd to play on the pc
    If I were you I wouldnt even bother with it becuase there are too many legal issues and too many problems that could make it illegal.
    Hey everyone it's me MRCOOLGH its been forever and a half since I came back on in fact its been at least a year and a half since I was here. Last time I visited Wiichat was 02-26-2008 and I'm gald to be back everyone!

Ads