LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    6658-5391-1728-9218
    OK, so lets take the other 2 next gen consoles.

The 360 like the PS3 are sold mainly on their next gen graphics, if you say that the wii is a gimmick just because most games dont use the wii's unique controles to full effect can we not say the same about the 360 and PS3, its not as if all 360 and PS3 titles are pure Eye candy now are they?

In the first year that the 360 was out, there wasnt a single title that you could realy call next gen, it wasnt untill Gears of War came out that you could and the same will happen for for the PS3, its current line up isnt great by any means.

And the same will happen for the wii, going by nintendos past record with consoles (N64 & Gamecube) you cant realy hold the developers responsible for not jumping on the wii as a viable system can you? now that they have seen it is a viable system more and more developers are now making games (Sometimes EXCLUSIVES) for the system and it will take time for then to make full use of the wii's unique controlers.

Is the wii a gimmick with its revolutionary controllers? Hell no, just like the mouse or joypad wasnt.

Give it time people, give it time. Its only been a year.

My prediction is this:

In as little as 5 years time nobody will be playing FPS games with a joypad or even mouse + keyboard, considdering how neer perfect MP3's controlls are why would you want to? and if your answer is that you cant get used to them or you dont like them then just think back to your first games using either of the 2 alternatives.

Developers are now starting to develope games for the wii from the ground up, this means more time spent on making the controlls work, this can only be a good thing and will probably weed out most of the games with badly implemented control systems.

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    2328-3260-7811-1534
    If you take in consideration that every marketed product is in some shape or form, a gimmick, as with every marketing strategy attempts to appeal to the consumer in hopes of generating sales. The PS3 uses Blu-Ray/Latest Tech, 360 is pushing latest technology as well, and of course that little Wii is boasting innovative controls. In reality it's all a gimmick if you sum it up.

I see your point, and understand that you seem to be saying that a lot of titles and the console in general seems to sell more on promise than it does on product. That is true to some extent when you look at so many developers late in the game and even some that are early, all frantically pushing out just about anything in hopes of delivering a paycheck. With that in mind, so many crap ports and crappy titles have managed to make it's way onto the system.

Despite that the sheer numbers of trash for the Wii is hard not to notice, but really crappy ports and titles are nothing new to a Nintendo console. Look at the classic NES for example, with games like Fester's Quest and so many others that was nothing less than terrible. Other popular consoles have had there fair share, ranging from Atari to PS2 however it's those few good ones that help hide such a wide selection of junk. Unfortunately the Wii still requires more worthwhile games to it's collection to render it's trash list out of the spotlight, so keep in mind the system is still new.

It is fortunate for the Wii developers that it shares the same basic development scheme as it's predecessor, which makes it easier to push forth good games faster as there is less need to re-learn the development technics to make the best use of the system. The downside to this is that last-gen the Cube was mostly overlooked so therefore there still is a learning curve involved as I don't believe that 3rd party developers even took full advantage of the Cube's potential. Now that the GameCube/Wii now has some serious attention, developers are attempting to come up with some killer apps to really cash in on the system. To do this it will take more than a quick port, and developers are going to have to really push the envelope when it comes to maximizing the Wii's hardware and frankly to see the Wii's full potential it's going to take time.

Games like MySims may seem like it's really pushing the console, however if that title was released two years from now after developers master the hardware potential (ie. better optimized code), what we would probably find is that the game wasting more than it's actually using. A good example of this is comparing the differences between games such as Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario Bros. 3 on the classic NES, clearly a HUGE difference. I merely suggest being patient and wait to see the outcome for yourself.

"Real Men Wii Standing Up"

Member #
    Friends
    4076-9395-0234-2025
    I have to admit that the port-like games have been the most fun, to see a game thats been on other consoles and then made that much better by taking advantage of the features that make the Wii stand out and so gimmicky in people's opinions, are awesome. Stuff like The Godfather, a game that really isnt unique on another console, its just another GTA copy, but on Wii its a whole new 'experience'. This also applies for Resident Evil, SSX and I'm assuming Manhunt.
    I'll admit the Wii is quite gimmicky, but I can only think this is the case with the games being half done, and not the actual Wii's fault. Stuff like WiiSports, I havent played that game in 6months, it was more a fad and gimmick, however if there were more options, like the ability to move your character in tennis,a dn the ability to verse CPUs in bowling etc, itd be a far better game and less of a 'look at me' gimmick.
    So basically, Wii is an excellent system with lots of potential. It itself is not a gimmick, just the majority of games bank on its gimmicks and forget everything else that makes a game good. I think 2007 was a learning time for developers, and in 2008 they will take what they have learnt from the quality titles and implement these ideas into their games. Atleast that is what I hope.
    Also, personally I think the mini-game genre already needs to be laid to rest, theres only so much that can be done, before its the same old, same old. WarioWare was fun for 5mins, Rayman was fun for 10... but we need hardcore games here, not the junk that those 'noob' buers lap-up, and parents buy cos theyre fooled by the cheap price and G rating.
    Come on ppl, not everyone who owns a Wii is in the preteen age-bracket, and you are selling a console short calling it a gimmick, when it has this much potential. Bring on 2008 and beyond.

"If I had a dollar bill for everytime I was wrong, I'd be a self-made millionaire and I wouldn't be singing..."

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Don't let Brawl being released in 2008 fool you.
    I have a feeling there are big things planned for after February.

I don't see the mini-games stopping really, as they sell well.
    More of the games others will enjoy are coming.
    The Wii aims to more than just pre-teens.
    Kids, Teens and Adults/Grandparents can enjoy the little white box of joy.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    7727-3445-4747-1170
    Quote Originally Posted by Z3wpk
    Look SSBB delayed apparently to work on more stuff. I highly doubt that they would have to delay it about 2 months (is that correct?)

you are obviously new to nintendo and its major games
    lawlz
    Currently Playing:
    Guitar Hero 3
    Twilight Princess
    Resident Evil 4 [for the 20th time]
    Scarface

Member #
    Friends
    5134-2285-1457-3930
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetAWii
    No.
    Giving many the option to choose helps things out, rather than makes a problem.
    Adds more to the overall thing really.
    Also this way people's old preferences will not be overlooked.
    Well if i bought a wii because of the new innovative controlls, and i decide to play a game the old way, how is that adding more? that defeats the purpose of me buying the wii if i was going to play it the old way, that just makes it a gamecube again. I thought the reason for a wii was the controls but hey i might be wrong, but thats why i bought it, if it just had reg controls theres no need to play a dumbed down version of a game like re4, need for speed, Prince of persia, etc i can play those games on systems i already have or pay to play them on systems that will make them look better and possibly have more content. So you kinda defeat the purpose of a wii if you take the controls away thats just me. Hey you take the controls away i think you take half of the total console sales away. Its always the same thing with nintendo fans just wait just wait, i mean you don't buy a console to wait?
    Last edited by yungblood6; 10-28-2007 at 12:34 PM.
    Don't Be A Fan Boy Its Not Benaficial

Member #
    Friends
    7727-3445-4747-1170
    You have a good point, but also look at the controller, this is new stuff for most developers. Consider all the crap games were getting as test runs (hopefully). What developers need to do is make games with a large selection of settings, since the wiimote is basically a mouse, it should be able to suit everyone. There have been a couple games where the the change between settings is just to drastic, but in games like Scarface I was able to find a setting that I was comfortable with right away, and it helps a lot.
    Currently Playing:
    Guitar Hero 3
    Twilight Princess
    Resident Evil 4 [for the 20th time]
    Scarface

Member #
    Friends
    5134-2285-1457-3930
    i understand what your saying but to say give the option to use another controller defeats the purpose. I use the wii for wii controller not my classic controller not a gamecube controller. But yes developers need to get it right not just port it over and try to map the buttons to simple movements. RE4 is a great example of a port done right.

Man i wish i could find scarface around here for a decent price. I don't buy used games(unless scratch free) with my fairly new systems when they get older i get them.
    Don't Be A Fan Boy Its Not Benaficial

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    i agree with some of what you said, although the controls for zelda for me really made it worth while. if they didnt have that i probably would have just bought the GC version. i mean, its not like the wii IS a gimmick, its these developers who know new gamers are out there who will buy crap like super scrap book maker and that stupid ninja bread man game. developers who actually make GOOD games, i dont think that they add to the gimmick. not to many companies whose games i love anyway are the type who will add dumb@$$ pointless motions, if that makes any sense.
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    Its always the same thing with nintendo fans just wait just wait, i mean you don't buy a console to wait?
    this is garbage. if youre complaining because the "ONLY" good games on wii are RE4, and first party titles, then grow up. how bout you buy them and play them first before you start whining. Oh, thats because if you did that, then by the time you finished them all, more good games would be out, and you'd have nothing to complain about.

If I had a 360, what are my real options? Halo 3, NHL 08(for me). period. Don't count other FPS, because that's all 360 has. PS3 has heavenly sword, and ratchet and clank. they would take you about a few weeks to get through if that. you could make the same freakin argument for any system, and i'm sick of people complaining about wii because there's not enough good games. buy a freakin virtual console game if you really need some filler and can't wait like a month for mario galaxy.

!@#$
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Ads