Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    MrT
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    7092-4371-1466-6540
    happened to me playing the last levels of zelda,like in the sky temple, where there was loads of dust and clouds bouncing about.
    Havnt noticed it at all playing SPM or anything else recently though...

Member #
    Friends
    All,

What you are experiencing are the symptoms of your GPU getting too hot. You'll start to notice it in games that graphically push the Wii hard, but eventually you'll get these anomalies in the main menu, in VC games etc

The cause is leaving the unit in Standby / Connect24. The wireless chip set generates a lot of heat that contributes to the GPU overheating. Nintendo will acknowledge this is an issue.

I believe it only affects launch models. I also believe that a recent firmware update spins up the fan every so often when the Wii is in standby so as to keep it cool.

Nintendo will replace your console, you only need send them the console itself, nothing else - no peripherals.

I got my Wii at launch in the UK and by April time had the same thing happening. It started when playing Zelda and got worse over time. Nintendo acknowledged the problem and replaced immediately giving another warranty.

Do a search on Google for "Wii GPU overheat"........................

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Samster
    The cause is leaving the unit in Standby / Connect24. The wireless chip set generates a lot of heat that contributes to the GPU overheating. Nintendo will acknowledge this is an issue.
    The root of the problem is that some GPU chips are borderline faulty. This makes them more susceptible to heat from other sources. If the GPU is normal, then the heat from being in Standby/WiiConnect24 mode will not be a problem. The faulty GPU would eventually fail just from regular play even if WiiConnect24 is off, although it may take a little longer.

Ads