LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3732-3369-2853-4491

Component Cables Question

Are they worth getting? I think I'm getting an HD TV soon, i think like 720p or i or something. Is it worth it?

What I'm really concerned with is, is there any possible way that using the component cables will screw up your Wii or TV, kinda like the RE4 pixels issue?
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Member #
    Friends
    Using component cables will not screw up your TV or Wii, unless they are physically defective somehow, and even then I would say the picture would just simply not show.

I have my Wii hooked up to a widescreen monitor through component cables (which I got for free with my VGA box), and I notice the difference when going from a regular tv, to 480p and widescreen. You will notice aliasing more so when in 480p, but the overall picture will be better.

Member #
    Friends
    http://www.gamespot.com/features/6162297/p-2.html
    Gamespot has a nice comparison of image quality there. I wouldnt think that it would screw up your Wii or TV but if any game did have issues you could always just switch back to the composite cable for it.

Member #
    Friends
    Don't get a 720p TV though. make sure the TV does at least 1080i/1080P.

True HD is 720, but High Def DVD players (HD & Blue-Ray) output in 1080.

As far as the component cables, just play with them. Usually they make it look better, but in my case they made it look worse.

My TV is a 1080p, so its stretching the little 480 image alot so its very pixelated with 480P.

I think that my TV smoothes out an Interlaced resolution, which is why my 480i Wii looks better, because it does the same with with my cable box using an HDMI cable. If I set the Cable box to 480P or 720P, it looks horrible, but 480i or 720i looks great.
    No Advertising

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by player911m

As far as the component cables, just play with them. Usually they make it look better, but in my case they made it look worse.

My TV is a 1080p, so its stretching the little 480 image alot so its very pixelated with 480P.

I think that my TV smoothes out an Interlaced resolution, which is why my 480i Wii looks better, because it does the same with with my cable box using an HDMI cable. If I set the Cable box to 480P or 720P, it looks horrible, but 480i or 720i looks great.
    The Pioneer Kuro series (drool) runs at 720p for the smaller displays, but beats the pants off nearly all other 1080i/1080p displays. Don't rely solely on specs, look up credible reviews and take a look yourself .
    MOHH2 username: sushinut
    I have: Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Elebits, RE4, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic, GHIII w/ 2 guitars, MOHH2, SMG, RE: UC

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by player911m

That's an indicator that your set has an excellent de-interlacer (better than the outboard devices). Definitely something you have to test out!

FWIW, the 1080i out from my HD-DVD player to our Sony 50" (@720P) has an outstanding PQ!
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Member #
    Mormonville, Utah XBL GamerTag: sheise PSNID: sheise
    Friends
    8354-0173-2009-5422
    I use component cables because I ran out of composite inputs on my TV, but I prefer composite with the Wii. The picture is clearer with component, but it makes the jaggies a lot more noticeable. :/
    ++++++[>++++++++++<-]>+.<+++[>++++<-]>+.<+++++[>+++++++<-]>++.++++.<+++[>---<-]>--.<+++++[>----------<-]>--------.<+++++++++++++[>++<-]>.<+++++[>+++++<-]>.<++++[>++++<-]>+..<++[>----<-]>-.<++[>+++++<-]>.

Member #
    Friends
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    the tv i am looking at is a polaroid (yes like the camera) 19" LCD. i just dont want it to look like crap idc what cables i gotta use
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

thanks to idjut for the sig!

Ads