Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    \/\/ii'd Out For Life dedpoet777's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    0792-2476-6769-9631
    ive had the component cables since the day they were released from nintendo. i have the nintendo brand myself, but ive seen other brands as well. they make a noticeable difference when running in 480p vs 480i. every time i go to someones house and i have to play in 480i, with the regular cables, i notice a big difference, esp on games like zelda and galaxy. imo, they are well worth it.

progressive scan is always going to be better and will always look better.
    here are some pics to prove it: component is on the left and composite is on the right:

click to make the pics bigger.

the difference is clear in my opinion.
    \/\/ho's Got

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda:Twilight Princess, \/\/ii Sports, \/\/ario \/\/are, Tiger \/\/oods:07, \/\/ii Play, Super paper Mario, Prince of Persia, Game Party//-//3 Remotes, 2 Chuks, Retro Skin
    DS:Zelda Phantom hourglass, New Super Mario Bros, Tetris DS, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, Touchmaster, Big Brain Academy, Mario Kart DS, Castlevania:Portrait of Time//Retro Skin, Switch&Carry Digital Camou Case.

Member #
    Friends
    Best place in the world for cables is monoprice.com. Don't let the prices fool you. These cables are high quality.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by dedpoet777
    ive had the component cables since the day they were released from nintendo. i have the nintendo brand myself, but ive seen other brands as well. they make a noticeable difference when running in 480p vs 480i. every time i go to someones house and i have to play in 480i, with the regular cables, i notice a big difference, esp on games like zelda and galaxy. imo, they are well worth it.

progressive scan is always going to be better and will always look better.
    here are some pics to prove it: component is on the left and composite is on the right:

click to make the pics bigger.

the difference is clear in my opinion.
    Do you have any comparisons on Galaxy, or any other game?

Member #
    Friends
    Monoprice just dropped the price of their white component cable, which I linked to a couple of posts up, to $3.84. It's the cable I use and it works perfectly.

\/\/ii'd Out For Life dedpoet777's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0792-2476-6769-9631
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeungy
    Do you have any comparisons on Galaxy, or any other game?
    there are other comparisons on the net. i dont know if there are any for galaxy or not. i just came across those by searching in yahoo for "composite vs component wii" im sure there are some more around the net.
    \/\/ho's Got

Wii: Super Mario Galaxy, Zelda:Twilight Princess, \/\/ii Sports, \/\/ario \/\/are, Tiger \/\/oods:07, \/\/ii Play, Super paper Mario, Prince of Persia, Game Party//-//3 Remotes, 2 Chuks, Retro Skin
    DS:Zelda Phantom hourglass, New Super Mario Bros, Tetris DS, Brain Age, Brain Age 2, Touchmaster, Big Brain Academy, Mario Kart DS, Castlevania:Portrait of Time//Retro Skin, Switch&Carry Digital Camou Case.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by No Smoking
    Yes they do make a difference everything is clearer and crisper colours look more colourful also if that makes any sense. All the cables are pretty much the same just get the cheapest

all the cables are not pretty much the same though... guage and the metal used makes a difference too. I wouldn't just go out and by "the cheapest you can find". try to get gold plated leads at least.
    Wii would like to play.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiggly
    all the cables are not pretty much the same though... guage and the metal used makes a difference too. I wouldn't just go out and by "the cheapest you can find". try to get gold plated leads at least.
    Unless your installing an extremely long cable run, gauge isn't as important. For a six foot cable, the monoprice cables I listed above should work just fine with no interference problems since they have pretty decent shielding. Now if we start talking about installation lengths of 20-50 feet, then the cable gauge should be bumped up to at least 22 AWG. This helps reduce interference and signal loss.

And don't get me started on the gold connector myth. Unless the output connectors of your component are gold plated, you should never use cables that are because you run into the problem of dissimilar metals. This can actually cause a number of connection problems.

How do I know this? I do home theater installations. A lot of us installers have a field day laughing at all of the cable myths out there. People swear that high price Monster cables make a difference. The only thing Monster cables are good for is making sure you have less money in your wallet than before. Gold connectors? Right.

Every installer I know uses monoprice.com because the cables are built extremely well and at a decent price. In fact, the manufacturers of the cables at monoprice actually manufacture cables for a lot of the other big names in the cable business.

That's my cable rant for the day.
    Last edited by ToddH; 12-06-2007 at 05:21 AM.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddH

Every installer I know uses monoprice.com because the cables are built extremely well and at a decent price. In fact, the manufacturers of the cables at monoprice actually manufacture cables for a lot of the other big names in the cable business.
    Well I live in Australia so if I was to get cables from there then it would take a while to get here wouldn't it?

Member #
    Friends
    Unless your installing an extremely long cable run, gauge isn't as important. For a six foot cable, the monoprice cables I listed above should work just fine with no interference problems since they have pretty decent shielding. Now if we start talking about installation lengths of 20-50 feet, then the cable gauge should be bumped up to at least 22 AWG. This helps reduce interference and signal loss.

And don't get me started on the gold connector myth. Unless the output connectors of your component are gold plated, you should never use cables that are because you run into the problem of dissimilar metals. This can actually cause a number of connection problems.

How do I know this? I do home theater installations. A lot of us installers have a field day laughing at all of the cable myths out there. People swear that high price Monster cables make a difference. The only thing Monster cables are good for is making sure you have less money in your wallet than before. Gold connectors? Right.

Thanks, I was about to type something out on how much of a rip-off monster cables are, and that most are pretty much the same. I'm currently using free component cables that came with my VGA box, and they work flawlessly.

Member #
    Friends

wow thats good to know! thanks lol

I used to do car audio installations though (not professially) and doesnt length, and guage have a lot to do with the ohms and impedance (sp?). requiring bigger than 22g... My old man uses 16g on his home theater...

also the metal wire DOES make a diff right? like copper would be better than tin correct?
    Wii would like to play.

Ads