Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Waiting For Tomorrow largedarry's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    Well I don't know what the hell player911m is talking about, do you know how old DX8 effects are? The specs of the gamecube GPU were capable of doing almost all of the DX9 effects (probably not HDR).

@LoganSix, I have the same thing to you, do you know what in-game physics is refering too? From all the video's of galaxy i've seen (wife won't let me play mine till christmas), there are no in game physics computations needed to play that game. In game physics are extremely complex and will often require an extremely large amount of processing power to calculate out the results. The most basic form of this would be seen in Oblivion (with rag doll physics used for bodies and a more basic engine used for all other objects). Since no one from Nintendo has stated what the processing power for the Wii actually is, or if a dedicated physics chipset is present, the answer to this question is only a guess at this point in time.
    "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidD
    I wish everyone would read the damn manual instead of posting a post about a dumbass question like the one asked in this thread.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by cookiemonsta11111
    Great physics... have you seen Super Mario Galaxy?
    no but ill probably get it when i get my wii i heard it has great graphics.

Member #
    Friends
    2294-2353-1207-3330
    Quote Originally Posted by largedarry
    there are no in game physics computations needed to play that game. In game physics are extremely complex and will often require an extremely large amount of processing power to calculate out the results.
    There are in game physics, you can't say there are none.
    Wikipedia definition of Game physics.

You may argue about the complexity of the physics, but you can't say that there are none being handled by the Wii.

List of games using the Havok Physic engine on the Wii.
    Last edited by LoganSix; 12-10-2007 at 04:45 PM.
    Wiiaffied : April 22, 2007
    Accessorwiis : 4 sets of motes and chucks, 2 motionPlus, 1 dance pad, Wii Zapper, colored battery doors, component cables, aluminum travel case
    Gamiis : Wii Sports, Elebits, Big Brain Academy, DDR : Hottest Party, Battalion Wars 2, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Medal of Honor : Heroes 2, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Rayman Rabbids TV Party, Tiger Woods 08, EA Sports Active, Game Party 1&2, Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort

Do you Wii-B-q?

Member #
    Friends
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganSix
    There are in game physics, you can't say there are none.
    Wikipedia definition of Game physics.

You may argue about the complexity of the physics, but you can't say that there are none being handled by the Wii.

List of games using the Havok Physic engine on the Wii.

Thanks for the links, but I'm fully aware of what game physics are, and some of the different engines used. And the limited use of any physics in Galaxy (as far as I know) is limited to one object at a time. The amount of computations required are very minimal, if I am incorrect in my assumption please give me an example of it.

And the rag doll physics used for the death of an NPC requires more computational power than what galaxy uses.

And unfortunately for your link, the havok physics engine specifically utilizes GPU processing power, as where the more advanced engines need to use the CPU or a dedicated physics chipset to perform the physics calculations.
    "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

I wish everyone would read the damn manual instead of posting a post about a dumbass question like the one asked in this thread.

Member #
    Friends
    2294-2353-1207-3330
    And the limited use of any physics in Galaxy (as far as I know) is limited to one object at a time. The amount of computations required are very minimal, if I am incorrect in my assumption please give me an example of it.
    So, for example, on one of the worlds as the world is rotating 6 spheres are rolling in unique directions around the world and Mario's speed is affected by the type of ground he walks through. Something like that?
    Accessorwiis : 4 sets of motes and chucks, 2 motionPlus, 1 dance pad, Wii Zapper, colored battery doors, component cables, aluminum travel case
    Gamiis : Wii Sports, Elebits, Big Brain Academy, DDR : Hottest Party, Battalion Wars 2, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Medal of Honor : Heroes 2, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Rayman Rabbids TV Party, Tiger Woods 08, EA Sports Active, Game Party 1&2, Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort

Do you Wii-B-q?

Member #
    Friends
    2294-2353-1207-3330
    And unfortunately for your link, the havok physics engine specifically utilizes GPU processing power, as where the more advanced engines need to use the CPU or a dedicated physics chipset to perform the physics calculations.
    That was the argument I was making.
    There are physics involved in the game, the degree to which the engines are used is what is in question. I have no idea how powerful the Wii's engines are, but there is one being used.

Do you Wii-B-q?

Member #
    Friends
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    Quote Originally Posted by LoganSix
    That was the argument I was making.
    There are physics involved in the game, the degree to which the engines are used is what is in question. I have no idea how powerful the Wii's engines are, but there is one being used.
    There is obviously some form of calculations going on, but I do agree with you that the amount of in-game physics processing that the Wii is capable of is a complete guess (as I mentioned in an earlier post). We currently have almost no idea of what type of power the Wii has, and until there are some game developers that actually test this out (or Nintendo actually decides to confirm all the specs).

The point that I've been making (well I got away from stating to you) is that if the suspected specs of the CPU/GPU contained in the Wii are correct, there is little overhead available for these advanced physics engines to run on the Wii. (The Wii seemingly having a 64bit single core CPU, and an ATI GPU. Neither of these contains a large amount of memory) Based on this information, it doesn't seem like the Wii has that much overhead for complex physics engines (granted it is restricted to SD, and that may allow for some extra processing power)

Member #
    Friends
    1229-2023-7316-8799
    Someone get rid of this guy, thats 14 now.
    PM Me for Codes: SSBB, MK, MoH, CoD

Ads