LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 42

Thread: The conspiracy?

  1. #21
    Waiting For Tomorrow largedarry's Avatar
    Member #
    39093
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Saskatchewan
    Posts
    209
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    The only thing that yungblood got correct in this thread is how all of his topics draw out the fanboyism that is so prolific in this forum. I always try to be as objectionable as possible, but its difficult to comment on this topic without appearing to fall in one of the two corners.
    "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

    "I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidD
    I wish everyone would read the damn manual instead of posting a post about a dumbass question like the one asked in this thread.

  2. #22
    Senior Member CantGetAWii's Avatar
    Member #
    9325
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WiiChat
    Posts
    6,418
    Friends
    33
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Enough with the rumors of constrained supply of the Wii during this holiday season! Many otherwise rational people believe that Nintendo is purposely causing a shortage of its still highly-demanded home console. Hopefully I can help you understand not just why that's economically preposterous and bad business, but also patently false.

    Before we dive into the real reason for the continued shortage of Wii consoles on the open market, let's first entertain the idea that Nintendo is, indeed, scheming to somehow ruin Christmas by holding back on a horde of Wiis that K. Rool would envy (if you don't get that reference already, then you need to travel over to the Virtual Console shop). Nintendo does not stand to make any more money by sitting on a massive inventory of Wii units. Perhaps you think it has done this so as to raise the average price of its system on eBay. This makes no sense, as Nintendo still only receives the portion of the $250 price tag that it was already owed when the console was first sold. If Nintendo were truly savvy in this sense, it would itself put a large number of Wiis up for auction, so that it could reap all of the extra profit that the market is willing to bear.

    If you don't think it's doing it to jack up the price, then perhaps you believe this is a controlled shortage meant to build hype. I find this theory highly suspect as well. The Wii has now been on the market for more than a year. Most hardcore gamers planning to acquire the system have found a way to do so, so this only leaves the mainstream crowd. For 99% of the mainstream audience, its value proposition for the Wii is built solely on some awareness of Wii Sports. Add to that the fact that the Wii is now racing tightly with the Xbox 360 for first place in this generation. Had a shortage been created purposely, Nintendo would be using a must-have title– namely Super Mario Galaxy– as the internal catalyst. The situation would be akin to that following the launch of Halo 3 for the Xbox 360, where the legendary hype surrounding the game resulted in a spike in demand for the system. Yet for a controlled shortage to make sense, Nintendo would have to be in a situation where it needed a new flagship title to rally around. It doesn't need any such thing. Wii Sports remains a good enough reason for most consumers to purchase the system if they find one available. An example of where a controlled shortage might work, for instance, would be of the PlayStation 3 near the release of Metal Gear Solid 4. This is because it would help to accentuate just how well the game was received when it launches, and send a message to gamers that they need to get on board. To wager on a dangerous controlled shortage technique like this, Nintendo would need to be struggling with its existing strategy, which it is not.


    Hopefully you're now convinced that Nintendo has no reason to create a virtual shortage. But why, you may ask, does supply remain so limited? Why can't it simply make more Wii units more quickly? The answer lies not in any production facility, but within Nintendo's boardroom. Nintendo, as always, remains a cautious operation, like many Japanese companies. Obviously Satoru Iwata and Nintendo's board of directors must be greatly pleased by the Wii's success, yet they all know failure all too well. They experienced disappointment with the Nintendo 64 and even more so with the GameCube. During these trying times, their number one goal was to remain consistently profitable, even with a smaller share of the market. This is why Nintendo has never sold a console at a significant loss, as Sony and Microsoft do, and never will. Unlike its competitors, Nintendo is not diversified in non-gaming industries. It retains the ability to remain profitable above all else in order to cope with the fact that gaming is all it has.

    "To increase supply Nintendo would need to invest in a whole new facility, something it is unwilling to do. "
    Obviously Nintendo is making money on every Wii sold now, but the company has now bumped against an economic break point, where the marginal cost for each Wii beyond what it is making now increases significantly. Nintendo already has several contracted production facilities working at full capacity manufacturing Wiis. To increase supply, it can't simply pay the workers to stay longer or leave the machines on for more hours of the day, because frankly the facilities are already pushed to their absolute limits. Indeed, to increase supply Nintendo would need to invest in a whole new facility, something it is unwilling to do.

    Nintendo will not expand into another production facility until the company is confident that the current level of demand can be carried forward for several years. The initial start-up costs of building a new facility, with all of the necessary equipment, would be enormous. This would hurt the company's profitability in the short term. That is acceptable to most investors if they can be assured that the investment will pay off in time. However, Nintendo has no such assurance regarding the Wii. It's entirely possible that demand tapers off following this holiday season. By the time Nintendo brought a new facility on line, it could no longer be in need of the increased supply and find themselves with a number of facilities operating at 70-80% capacity instead of 100% like now.

    This is the same conundrum that faces oil companies when trying to decide whether to drill new wells. Sometimes, oil wells can be very expensive to set up, especially if they are beneath the ocean or particularly rough patches of earth. To be profitable, oil companies need oil prices to stay at a certain level. Would it make sense for oil companies to drill wells right now that require a price per barrel of $100? I think not; there is no assurance that oil prices will remain so high for years to come. On the other hand, does it make sense to drill somewhere where the cost would be $60 per barrel? Probably so, as prices are not likely to dip below that level.

    Hence the supply shortage. It is the safer route for Nintendo to simply make as many Wiis as it can with what it already has. This obviously frustrates some Nintendo executives, including American President Reggie Fils-Aime, who sees this excess holiday demand as a "missed opportunity". Perhaps so, but the more calculating minds in Tokyo have this one right: success today is no guarantee of future returns. Just as swiftly as Nintendo was swept back into power, it may again lose its seat to Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo is simply protecting its business from unnecessary risk by not getting overly excited by the Wii's success, and that is something Nintendo fans should be thankful for: the best thing to ensure Nintendo's continued importance in the gaming industry is to make sure that the company remains financially healthy for decades to come. Of course, if that's too hard for the kids to understand this Christmas, there's always eBay.
    That is why the Wii shortage is legit, no conspiracy bud.

    CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner


    'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'


    Retired Moderator-[PM]


    Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

  3. #23
    WiiChat Member LoganSix's Avatar
    Member #
    22526
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    North Cackalacky
    Posts
    320
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    2294-2353-1207-3330
    Quote Originally Posted by largedarry
    The only thing that yungblood got correct in this thread is how all of his topics draw out the fanboyism that is so prolific in this forum.
    I predict that if I got to a cow farm, it will have cows. D'uh.
    Wiiaffied : April 22, 2007
    Accessorwiis : 4 sets of motes and chucks, 2 motionPlus, 1 dance pad, Wii Zapper, colored battery doors, component cables, aluminum travel case
    Gamiis : Wii Sports, Elebits, Big Brain Academy, DDR : Hottest Party, Battalion Wars 2, Mario & Sonic at the Olympics, Medal of Honor : Heroes 2, Rayman Raving Rabbids 2, Rayman Rabbids TV Party, Tiger Woods 08, EA Sports Active, Game Party 1&2, Punch Out, Wii Sports Resort

    Do you Wii-B-q?

  4. #24
    Get Money Dummy yungblood6's Avatar
    Member #
    34300
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    383
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5134-2285-1457-3930
    Quote Originally Posted by samXcor3
    i'd have to say my new favorite thing about yungblood is he never goes back and replies to posts in his threads, especially when people prove him wrong. hell, in one thread i backed him up saying that friend codes are crap and he just accused me of "being up the companys ass" and being a "fanboy"...because i agreed with him...right...
    im sorry that i don't sit by my computer of every minute of the day just to reply to you people.

    I have already proven my point. and you guys made it like i said into a i hate the wii thread. i was just posting an interesting article that says the same thing i have been saying but coming from more credible people. Then like i always say you turn it into i just hate the wii and think 360 is better when i said no such thing. i didnt call it a conspiricy thats whay you guys call it every time i say its a common buisness practice. thats why its a big question mark in the title.

    This also proves my point that you people don't read articles and pay attention to whats being said, like the yo yo that said nintendo doesnt outsource its production, lol did you read the article they do outsource the production thus was another reason they gave to the possiblity of the shortage. Because differnt companies make different parts and one small company can hold the whole process up.

    Yea they boosted production, for black friday and then ohhh wait a minute and if i heard correct all the major stores are supposed to get a big shipment in after new years.

    But like i said im not going to argue with you idiots any more because you cant take nothing for what it is. i post an article for what it is and you guys come with your bull shit arguments towards me when i wasnt the one that wrote the article.

    What i find funny is it wasnt even a wii hating article it was actualy praising nintendo for its tactics and saying that it was a smart buisness move to keep supplies low so it doesnt have over supply.

    This was just to prove my point that you guys hang on every word i say and take it for wii hate and you don't read shit. and all you do is come into my posts with your fanboy rants and don't even know what you are talking about. lol when i finnaly got back online i had to clap it up on this one it was real funny.

    Thanks to those with intellegent posts as i always enjoy those and your point of views.
    PS: ITS ONLY ONE MAYWEATHER. LOL
    Don't Be A Fan Boy Its Not Benaficial

  5. #25
    the best kid! samXcor3's Avatar
    Member #
    34872
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,457
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3732-3369-2853-4491
    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    im sorry that i don't sit by my computer of every minute of the day just to reply to you people.

    I have already proven my point. and you guys made it like i said into a i hate the wii thread. i was just posting an interesting article that says the same thing i have been saying but coming from more credible people. Then like i always say you turn it into i just hate the wii and think 360 is better when i said no such thing. i didnt call it a conspiricy thats whay you guys call it every time i say its a common buisness practice. thats why its a big question mark in the title.

    This also proves my point that you people don't read articles and pay attention to whats being said, like the yo yo that said nintendo doesnt outsource its production, lol did you read the article they do outsource the production thus was another reason they gave to the possiblity of the shortage. Because differnt companies make different parts and one small company can hold the whole process up.

    Yea they boosted production, for black friday and then ohhh wait a minute and if i heard correct all the major stores are supposed to get a big shipment in after new years.

    But like i said im not going to argue with you idiots any more because you cant take nothing for what it is. i post an article for what it is and you guys come with your bull shit arguments towards me when i wasnt the one that wrote the article.

    What i find funny is it wasnt even a wii hating article it was actualy praising nintendo for its tactics and saying that it was a smart buisness move to keep supplies low so it doesnt have over supply.

    This was just to prove my point that you guys hang on every word i say and take it for wii hate and you don't read shit. and all you do is come into my posts with your fanboy rants and don't even know what you are talking about. lol when i finnaly got back online i had to clap it up on this one it was real funny.

    Thanks to those with intellegent posts as i always enjoy those and your point of views.
    PS: ITS ONLY ONE MAYWEATHER. LOL
    Cant Get A Wii's post is the reason behind the lack of production, and makes way more sense than someone (you) creating a thread called the conspiracy and saying that you never said it was a conspiracy. He posted this a while back, not too many people noticed it then, and i doubt any one will now, although it is still true.
    Strikers FC:025884-970933
    RIP: Hidden in Plain View, Counterfit Pennies, The Early November

    thanks to idjut for the sig!

  6. #26
    Status: Idle AtomicB's Avatar
    Member #
    34052
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my room. Working on project E-vile.
    Posts
    944
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5873-1290-1753-2112
    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    im sorry that i don't sit by my computer of every minute of the day just to reply to you people.
    Right. Nice counter! I almost actually believed it!

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    I have already proven my point. and you guys made it like i said into a i hate the wii thread. i was just posting an interesting article that says the same thing i have been saying but coming from more credible people.
    Posting as if you're supreme leader, calling everyone who might post a fanboy, and then posting a link to an article doesn't count as "Just posting an interesting article.

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    Then like i always say you turn it into i just hate the wii and think 360 is better when i said no such thing.
    Well, assumptions are what you get when every other thread of yours bashes the Wii.

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    i didnt call it a conspiricy thats whay you guys call it every time i say its a common buisness practice. thats why its a big question mark in the title.

    But your title is freaking "The Conspiracy?"! Unless some magical gremlin flew from your closet and typed the title in, it was your words.


    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    This also proves my point that you people don't read articles and pay attention to whats being said, like the yo yo that said nintendo doesnt outsource its production, lol did you read the article they do outsource the production thus was another reason they gave to the possiblity of the shortage. Because differnt companies make different parts and one small company can hold the whole process up.
    Maybe no one read the article because this theory has only been suggested and debunked a couple hundred times.

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    Yea they boosted production, for black friday and then ohhh wait a minute and if i heard correct all the major stores are supposed to get a big shipment in after new years.
    Great! Contradict yourself why don't you!

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    But like i said im not going to argue with you idiots any more because you cant take nothing for what it is. i post an article for what it is and you guys come with your bull shit arguments towards me when i wasnt the one that wrote the article.
    No, but you are the one throwing it around like it's fact. And you're calling us idiots? I guess the shift key on your keyboard is broken. And you cleverly misspelled 'Conspiracy'.

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    What i find funny is it wasnt even a wii hating article it was actualy praising nintendo for its tactics and saying that it was a smart buisness move to keep supplies low so it doesnt have over supply.
    Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Either sarcasm or a failed attempt to make everyone feel bad by playing the victim.

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    This was just to prove my point that you guys hang on every word i say and take it for wii hate and you don't read shit. and all you do is come into my posts with your fanboy rants and don't even know what you are talking about. lol when i finnaly got back online i had to clap it up on this one it was real funny.
    Like I said. 'Playing the victim'.

    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    Thanks to those with intellegent posts as i always enjoy those and your point of views.
    Wish I could say the same.


    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    PS: ITS ONLY ONE MAYWEATHER. LOL
    There you go. Another hit yungblood thread. -.-
    Sorry, I'm irrationally irritable today.

    Or it could have something to do with 2:30 A.M.
    GAME OVER

  7. #27
    Get Money Dummy yungblood6's Avatar
    Member #
    34300
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    383
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5134-2285-1457-3930
    Quote Originally Posted by AtomicB
    Right. Nice counter! I almost actually believed it!



    Posting as if you're supreme leader, calling everyone who might post a fanboy, and then posting a link to an article doesn't count as "Just posting an interesting article.



    Well, assumptions are what you get when every other thread of yours bashes the Wii.



    But your title is freaking "The Conspiracy?"! Unless some magical gremlin flew from your closet and typed the title in, it was your words.




    Maybe no one read the article because this theory has only been suggested and debunked a couple hundred times.



    Great! Contradict yourself why don't you!



    No, but you are the one throwing it around like it's fact. And you're calling us idiots? I guess the shift key on your keyboard is broken. And you cleverly misspelled 'Conspiracy'.



    Is that supposed to be sarcasm? Either sarcasm or a failed attempt to make everyone feel bad by playing the victim.



    Like I said. 'Playing the victim'.



    Wish I could say the same.




    There you go. Another hit yungblood thread. -.-
    Sorry, I'm irrationally irritable today.

    Or it could have something to do with 2:30 A.M.
    First of only guilty people get offended by what i say. i named the title so because thats what its called when i say it. if i wasnt talking about you and you didnt feel guilty then why did you comment. i didnt contradict my self i made a reply to some one elses post about the shortage as he said they wouldnt hold out. did i say it was fact i just said im not the only one that believes it. wow i misspelled a word give me an F teacher. or how about you get a degree in english and go get paid to edit.

    Second i didnt bash the wii i bashed the games its a big differnce and i also defend nintendo every time i do bash the games i just said they need to make more games because the third parties are not going to make good games like they do. theres articles on that too but don't know if i should post it you might think im bashing the wii
    Don't Be A Fan Boy Its Not Benaficial

  8. #28
    Get Money Dummy yungblood6's Avatar
    Member #
    34300
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Kansas City
    Posts
    383
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5134-2285-1457-3930
    Quote Originally Posted by samXcor3
    Cant Get A Wii's post is the reason behind the lack of production, and makes way more sense than someone (you) creating a thread called the conspiracy and saying that you never said it was a conspiracy. He posted this a while back, not too many people noticed it then, and i doubt any one will now, although it is still true.
    cant get a wii thank you for your post if i would have seen that in your other posts i wouldnt have made this one because its basicly saying the same thing.
    Last edited by yungblood6; 12-10-2007 at 03:46 PM.
    Don't Be A Fan Boy Its Not Benaficial

  9. #29
    Status: Idle AtomicB's Avatar
    Member #
    34052
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    In my room. Working on project E-vile.
    Posts
    944
    Friends
    0
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5873-1290-1753-2112
    I didn't post because I feel guilty, I posted because you're being an idiot. You aren't a victim here, dude. One mis- you know what? Never mind. I'm not going to fuel this fire.

    I, personally, believe Nintendo is giving an honest effort to make enough Wii's to meet demand. That's what I believe.
    I suppose that it would make some sense to hold back supply, but it seems very unlikely.

    Yungblood, watch '12 Angry Men'. It's brilliant.
    GAME OVER

  10. #30
    Super Moderator Eagles's Avatar
    WiiChat Moderator
    Member #
    22447
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Perth, Australia
    Posts
    1,877
    Friends
    28
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    5207-2685-9420-8549
    I'm glad this has been debunked again...

Ads

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Search tags for this page

furby wii hype business practice

,

nintendo wii conspiracy

Click on a term to search for related topics.