LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Raising the Bar

Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    I'm quite happy with how things are going with the wii - a year in and we're already getting games like Galaxy and MP, I'm excited about the first "proper" online game (MOH:H2 - people in the UK have to wait some more before they get to play this!)

I strongly suspect that the massive popularity of the Wii, the stock shortages over Christmas and even the pure brilliance of Galaxy will come as a huge wake up call to third party developers - even if they just look at numbers, there's an absolutely enormous market for their games if they develop them on Wii - if that's not an incentive to start developing good games, then I don't know what is!

Of course those third party developers are lagging behind as they didn't support the Wii from the start, but they'll catch up hopefully.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Eagles
    You have a right to your opinion, just post it in a more friendly manner.
    I thought it was quite a friendly post for Yungblood, hes usually much harsher.

He has put his point across better too, the third party games range from awful to very good but SMG does indeed put them all to shame somewhat. Capcom are the only ones who seem to consistantly produce good Wii games (and i have a lot of love for Atlus too) but the rest are very hit and miss.

Im sure that Nintendo will bring out more games that match up to the quality of SMG but it might take a while longer for anything by a third party to reach that level.

Member #
    Friends
    remember when super mario64 was released, it was revolutionary. i thought it was untoppable but a third party developer..rare.. made banjo kazooie which imo took it to another level. im not saying its better than mario but maybe we can hope for some galaxy lookalikes!

WiiChat Member Big_League_Slugger's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0638-7157-7489-3737
    The nintendo systems have had to contend with this problem. They make great games which affect third parties and their strategies for that system.

I agree with Yungblood most of the time. The third parties have put out a lot of subpar games.

PSN: Lou-igi
    Gametag:G8torNation

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by FloYdian
    remember when super mario64 was released, it was revolutionary. i thought it was untoppable but a third party developer..rare.. made banjo kazooie which imo took it to another level. im not saying its better than mario but maybe we can hope for some galaxy lookalikes!
    Rare was actually second party as Nintendo owned 49% of the company.

If only third party developers could just copy the Nintendo formula. Even if they copied Capcoms it would be a start, they make original titles, when they port games they do ones that were actually good to start with and can benefit from the switch to the Wii (im really looking forward to Okami) unlike most other developers.

Hopefully the financial opportunities on the Wii combined with the quality of games such as SMG and MP3 will make some developers want to up their quality too and produce something really stunning.

Waiting For Tomorrow largedarry's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    Quote Originally Posted by raisinghelen
    Rare was actually second party as Nintendo owned 49% of the company.

If only third party developers could just copy the Nintendo formula. Even if they copied Capcoms it would be a start, they make original titles, when they port games they do ones that were actually good to start with and can benefit from the switch to the Wii (im really looking forward to Okami) unlike most other developers.

Hopefully the financial opportunities on the Wii combined with the quality of games such as SMG and MP3 will make some developers want to up their quality too and produce something really stunning.
    I think the main problem with most game developers (not counting Capcom and Nintendo), none of them are willing to put that much time and money into 1 game. Most developers (like EA) will tend to release 4 games instead of 1. This way they can put out more games and don't have to worry about having 1 of them flop (as where if Capcom's next game flops, they would have a lot to worry about).

There's actually not much that we can do, mainly because I've thought that the quality of gaming as degraded over the last 10 years. Games continue to get more repetitive and don't try to make anything new (let's make 90% of our games a FPS ) My only hope for quality games is from Nintendo and every so often another game developer re-releases a classic.
    Last edited by largedarry; 12-11-2007 at 11:08 AM.
    "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

Quote Originally Posted by LiquidD
    I wish everyone would read the damn manual instead of posting a post about a dumbass question like the one asked in this thread.

Member #
    Friends
    5873-1290-1753-2112
    Fragile looks pretty good. I think sooner or later developers are going to have to stop playing stupid and take notice of the Wii.

Monster Hunter 3!!! Yeah!

Or should I say...
    Monster Hunter Wii!
    GAME OVER

Member #
    Friends
    4855-3513-2198-8739
    Well youngblood I can only agree with that.

Altough personally I look forward to mohh2 a lot! I cant wait till its released.

But I do think a lot of nintendo's games are hyped. The important ones that is. SSBB is one of those titles like you said. It really isnt really innovating but still half the world is waiting for it and calling it the best game ever!

But a lot of 3rd party games blow
    Tip of the day:
    A big mistake a lot of you make is that wiiware games will be free.

Wiiware is just the same like the virtual console. Its different in that it offers new games instead of old console games.

I can think of some easy games ( Like tetris and some other in that direction ) that can be free but the majority will cost money.

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Third Party games and support will come with the new year.
    Seriously I am excited for those games, like Fragile and Monster Hunter and this one game called Obscure The Aftermath. As well as Disaster Day Of Crisis.

I think by the middle of 08 near the latter part of it, we will see really good third party games, along with Nintendo's hits that have not yet come out, so its a nice one two punch..hopefully

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by largedarry
    I think the main problem with most game developers (not counting Capcom and Nintendo), none of them are willing to put that much time and money into 1 game. Most developers (like EA) will tend to release 4 games instead of 1. This way they can put out more games and don't have to worry about having 1 of them flop (as where if Capcom's next game flops, they would have a lot to worry about).

There's actually not much that we can do, mainly because I've thought that the quality of gaming as degraded over the last 10 years. Games continue to get more repetitive and don't try to make anything new (let's make 90% of our games a FPS ) My only hope for quality games is from Nintendo and every so often another game developer re-releases a classic.
    My solution is not to buy any duff games. I havent bought a bad game for Wii yet, although they have not all been as outstanding as Nintendo's efforts they have at least been decent.

As for developers putting the time and money into a game, well it shouldnt really be that much of a risk. The Wii is much cheaper to develop for than 360 or PS3 and if they make a game good enough then there are enough Wii owners out there for it to get good sales.

The big problem for the Wii imo is the PS2. Until its gone it will always be easier to just quickly port the PS2 version of a game rather than do a Wii specific one. The PS3 is having the same problem with the 360, developers port the 360 version over resulting in a lot of the PS3 games having bad frame rates and the developers cant be bothered to improve them.

It will all improve with time though.

Ads