LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Newer "flat screen" TV's don't have any problems with artifacting or ghosting as the older ones did. A good solid brand such as samsung or sony will do you well. For that size, I would recommend an LCD TV. Its too small for DLP (which are cheaper) and the prices start in good comparison to plasma (although plasma gets alot cheaper as you get bigger).

LCD TV's are lighter, thinner, use less energy and produce less heat (people that worry about electric cost and stuff thats nice to know) than plasma. The main problem with them is "artifcating" at higher speed graphics. Most LCD TV's (non generic brands) today easily have a 8 ms refresh rate or less, which virtually elimates this problem. Plasma's have "ghosting" and burn-in problems but, again, are alot better than a year before. Plasmas tend to be thicker, heavier, use alot more energy and produce more heat, but are cheaper.

Also, from direct personal experience, the cabling is EVERYTHING. I had a very good quality HDMI cable for my TV that my dog chewed up. I got a cheaper brand to save some bucks, and instantly I had some artifacting problems. My advice, spend the extra bucks and get monster component cables or any other good brand. With good cables and a good brand TV, you won't have any problems.

Monster Componet Cables + Samsung LCD HD TV and no atifcating playing the Wii at all.

P.S. - if you really want to save money, 720p could save a couple hundred. Current usage of 1080p are HD DVD & Blu Ray devices (includes xbox and ps3). If you don't plan to invest in any of those items anytime soon and need to save, go with 720p

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by pipcecil
    P.S. - if you really want to save money, 720p could save a couple hundred. Current usage of 1080p are HD DVD & Blu Ray devices (includes xbox and ps3). If you don't plan to invest in any of those items anytime soon and need to save, go with 720p
    Some good answers in this thread - seems like as recent as 2-3 months ago, TV question threads were always filled with inaccuracies.

The one thing I would add is the set size (and related viewing distance) has some bearing on the resolution. I'd say up to ~40", a 720P is more than adequate, 55" and up definitely a 1080P set, and that nebulous space between 1080P unless the price factors in too much (then you can save a few $$$ on a 720P set).

FWIW, down-converted 1080 source from HD-D/BD or broadcast 1080 HD can still look amazing on a 720P set. I know you said for the Wii only, but I'd always buy a set based on specs, price, viewing distance/room size and let the videogame stuff just work itself out

RE: the already corrected 2009 Digital Cutover - that seems to be confusing a majority of people since they're thinking Digital = HD (when in fact a huge number of those people are probably digital subscribers to Cable/Sat running analog sets from a digital STB!).
    "I want to be more like the ocean, no talking, all action"
    - Jane's Addiction

"Ga-blaaaaagh!!"
    - Liliane Eva

"The grammar corrections around here are officially old and tired."
    - Celeste

Where is your god now? zapasant's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2887-9874-6238-6951
    how about you dont get a new tv, its a game, not jesus

PSN ID: zapasant93

Member #
    Friends
    6636-1630-0874-1365
    Who Knows? Maybe Jesus is a playable character?

JESUS FOR BRAWL!!! FTW!
    Arguing Over The Internet Is Like Participating In The Special Olympics, Even If You Win You Are Still Retarded.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl:
    2320-5790-2320

Mario Strikers friend code:
    494028-363289

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by pipcecil
    Newer "flat screen" TV's don't have any problems with artifacting or ghosting as the older ones did. A good solid brand such as samsung or sony will do you well. For that size, I would recommend an LCD TV. Its too small for DLP (which are cheaper) and the prices start in good comparison to plasma (although plasma gets alot cheaper as you get bigger).

LCD TV's are lighter, thinner, use less energy and produce less heat (people that worry about electric cost and stuff thats nice to know) than plasma. The main problem with them is "artifcating" at higher speed graphics. Most LCD TV's (non generic brands) today easily have a 8 ms refresh rate or less, which virtually elimates this problem. Plasma's have "ghosting" and burn-in problems but, again, are alot better than a year before. Plasmas tend to be thicker, heavier, use alot more energy and produce more heat, but are cheaper.

Also, from direct personal experience, the cabling is EVERYTHING. I had a very good quality HDMI cable for my TV that my dog chewed up. I got a cheaper brand to save some bucks, and instantly I had some artifacting problems. My advice, spend the extra bucks and get monster component cables or any other good brand. With good cables and a good brand TV, you won't have any problems.

Monster Componet Cables + Samsung LCD HD TV and no atifcating playing the Wii at all.

Monster Cables are seriously overpriced and are not worth it, period. There are better options out there for analog cables. HDMI cables are digital so functionality and performance is binary, either it works great or it doesn't work at all. All of this is besides the point since the Wii runs at 480p and you have only a few choices for component cables. If I had the $$$ I would get a Pioneer Elite Kuro plasma....yummy. Oh, my 42" Panasonic 9uk works great.
    MOHH2 username: sushinut
    I have: Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Elebits, RE4, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic, GHIII w/ 2 guitars, MOHH2, SMG, RE: UC

Member #
    Friends
    1229-2023-7316-8799
    Quote Originally Posted by Mario777
    I'm going to buy a new TV just for BRAWL near the end of January.
    I like your style.
    PM Me for Codes: SSBB, MK, MoH, CoD

Member #
    Friends
    2053-7387-5258-1341
    Quote Originally Posted by yungblood6
    wow its not that deep! Graphics are not going to be that much if even better than Galaxy. I guess i realy got to get this game now you guys make it seem like its the second coming of Christ!
    lol, hahaha

My wii games
    Wii Sports Resident Evil 4 Dragon Blade : Wrath of Fire GHIII
    My VC games
    Super Metroid Kirbys Adventure Ghouls & Ghosts

Member #
    Friends
    2878-9257-8140-1234
    Haha this is funny cause I was thinking about doing the exact same thing today. My friend, whos pretty good with TVs, recommended that I should buy a Sharp AQUOS 32 Inch Widescreen LCD because it was the best brand TV out and it was on sale at bestbuy for $799.

Specs:

720p
    PC Input
    and some more stuff I cant remember

See it here:
    http://www.bestbuy.ca/catalog/prodde...16&catid=23244

Thanks for the sig, gidget!

Gamertag: D1nner
    SSBB Code: 2878-9257-8140

Peach Smash Guild Member

Working on L4D Achievements 49/50 PM if wanna play

My Wii: January 16th 2007 Flamefury8's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    0848-7705-1108-1338
    Are you serious? Just for Brawl? Wow, your like Brawl's #1 fan.
    Currently Own:
    Hardware:
    Nintendo Wii, 2 Wii Remotes, 2 Nunchucks
    Games: Wii Sports, Super Mario Strikers, Madden 07, Madden 08
    Soon to get: Super Mario Galaxy

Member #
    Friends
    so are you buying a special wii for brawl too? oh i have an idea, kick your son/daughter out on the street, throw all their shit in the attic, get some brawl wallpaper, maybe a nice border and a 99" plasma T.V. that covers the whole wall and have a brawl room!!1!1!1!1!!!

haha i kid, i kid.

Gamertag/PSN ID=SensesFailxWiix if you add me send me a message via console or wiichat

Ads