Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny
    DVDs on the wii
    Sounds good.

XboxGamerTag=IQuickReflexI

Strike=Have

X-Mas Wish List :
    PlayStation 3,Call of Duty 4,Guitar Hero 3(w/ 2 Guitars)Assassin's Creed(Mayb),Oblivion,Ps3 Control.

PSN ID : Mc_Evan

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    Why would you want to play DVDs on it? Heck, you can buy a brand new DVD player just about anywhere for under 30 bucks.

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    Yes Nintendo can play DVDs. The games themselves are printed on DVDs. Duh! However, Nintendo took a firm stance on not making the Wii a DVD movie player. It' up to them. Don't hold your breath.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by TiwazTyrsfist
    INCORRECT!!

Modding a piece of equipment that you have legally purchased is NOT illegal, and is completely protected by fair use. You own it. You can mod it, re-sell it, freeze it in carbonite, or smash it with a hammer and blend the pieces in a blend tech blender. I don't recommend ANY of these, but they are all legal...
    Devices that circumvent copy protection violate the DMCA and supercede fair use.

jd3
    Member #
    Friends
    Devices that circumvent copy protection violate the DMCA and supercede fair use.
    Exactly. However, modding your Wii would not violate any copy protection system.

If you were to mod your Wii so it would play DVDs... no issue there provided you are using properly purchased DVDs.

If you were to mod your Wii so it will play burned discs of games... there you are circumventing copy protection and that is a violation.

It's all in what you do with it. It's like a computer. Putting in a larger hard drive isn't a problem, but using that extra space to store and share ripped music makes it a violation.

I for one, wish they'd added the option to play DVDs. The technology is there in the system, so why not use it? I know I can get a DVD player for $25, but I honestly don't need another box around my TV (already have cable box, xbox and now the Wii). I'm running out of room.

Member #
    Friends
    3480-6187-2679-2938
    Woot, legal issues FTW!
    Would like a sig to enter here.

I have two personalities: Personality 1/Social/school= Metro/Skate/surf brand clothes and jokes. Personality 2/Wiichat=... Grammer and long words.

Spoiler Alert!

Get The Funk In The Car! RadNad's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    A lot of people know how to get pirate games and movies nowadays. Piracy is becoming a very big issue now, and possibly say DVD Movie to cover up what they would actually want to do. The reason Nintendo probably didn't want the Wii to play DVD's is because there would be a problem with people bypassing the Wii's security to not allow copied DVDs/CDs, then more people will find a way to load un-paid for games onto the Wii through something simple like the disc swap method which has already been done between playing import games like the Japanese Biohazard swapping with Europe Resi 4, it's a bit like not using a FreeLoader. I know these two have been fixed through updates, but then how many updates will Nintendo need to do to stop piracy on the Wii, they've managed to block a certain mod-chip's Config. Disc, but the creator of the mod-chip came back with an updated Disc, causing more piracy problems on the Wii. It also voids your warranty and could potentially brick your Wii through finding "invalid" things attached to the Wii by firmware updates. Which makes it Super Duper Sumos illegal. I saw a really good discussion about chipping a DS and some were talking Wii modifications, too bad I couldn't post a link to it since it would be advertising and I can't be bothered to quote it all, just the most important parts:
    Getting a console chipped (apart from often being technically illegal) allows you to play imported and backed up (i.e. pirated!) games on the console in question.

On consoles like the PS2, Wii etc this involves opening up the case, invalidating the warranty, and phsically connecting a chip internally.
    Mod chips are illegal because they allow people to play copied copyrighted games on their console. You may own the console but you may not own the video games the mod chip will allow you to play. It's basically to lower piracy figures.
    I'm pretty sure a law was past in the last two years making it illegal to chip consoles.
    Here's 2 links(hoping this isn't advertising, but the UK should know about BBC) about chipped XBOXs and PS2s

BBC: Chipped XBOXs.

BBC: Chipped PS2s.

Member #
    Friends
    4855-3513-2198-8739
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkprinny
    DVDs on the wii
    LOL!!! You made my day!

+1 rep for you if I can still give it out
    Tip of the day:
    A big mistake a lot of you make is that wiiware games will be free.

Wiiware is just the same like the virtual console. Its different in that it offers new games instead of old console games.

I can think of some easy games ( Like tetris and some other in that direction ) that can be free but the majority will cost money.

Member #
    Friends
    Did anyone hear about the recent raids in Germany over modded Wiis? Was quite interesting.

Ads