Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Member #
    Why? >.> NO WAI!!!! Brawl Main: Mario or MK....... Waiting for: Brawl
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    People like me.
    my computer is dead, and thankfully my router works.
    I use the wii browser.

Made by idjut

Brawl: 31 DAYS
    Main: Mario

2. Ads

Lord of Monkey Resources Dreamworx's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    2205-5996-6940-6558
    yeah my internet connection is only 2.2mbps and is wired but when i use my USB connector the internet connection to my wii is about 54.0 mbps

(so is faster for anyone cries at the sight of numbers)
    My opinion is neither copyrighted or trademarked, and it's price competitive. If you like, I'll trade for one of yours.

Member #
    Friends
    3099-0319-5478-2979
    Its just something else to have for Wii owners.
    Surely we may say a good update for it, which may amaze some. You never know.

And yes on most sites (not all) it runs faster than when you use your computer to go on sites.

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Member #
    Friends
    4614-1471-6665-4276
    most of you might think its useless, but really you have to use it to see the difference. my computer suck, so compared to the wii its trash. i have a good internet connection on both my wii and pc. wii is faster at loading pages. also about a month ago the wii version of the opera borwser just sent there SDK's out public. so now you can play MMO on your browser with wii controls.

Member #
    Friends
    I used it to play Youtube videos through my sound system.

What's all this about paying $5 for it, though? I never paid any money for mine, and it still works fine...

Member #
    Friends
    1234-1234-1234-1234
    So Nintendo can get a little richer.

Srs.
    That turtle has a brief case. It must be going to work. I hope it has a good day.

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by iojpoutn
    I used it to play Youtube videos through my sound system.

What's all this about paying $5 for it, though? I never paid any money for mine, and it still works fine...
    They started charging for the internet channel back in June (or maybe it was July?).

Anyway, a list of my counter-arguments people have come up to its "usefulness." This is all assuming you actually have a USB keyboard with which to regularly use with the Wii (as not having one would dramatically decrease the internet channel's effectiveness single handedly), and that you have a PC.

Replacement for Surfing on a PC:
    Honestly, for the most part I think it's an unwise investment. I mean, if you have a bad computer, I can understand why you think the Wii browser is a good temporary solution, but realistically don't you need the computer to do more than just surf the web? I imagine you need something more convenient and as such it would be more beneficial to figure out how to fix the computer.

Movie/Video Playback:
    Wii Browser costs $5. An S-video cable costs $1 per foot of cable (6ft is ideal, so $6). Then you can get something similar to a 6' Headphone jack to RCA audio jack for $8 to transmit sound from your headphone port to your TV's speakers. Sure, we're already at a price 3x more than the internet channel, but if you have a laptop or a desktop PC set up close to the tv screen you desire, you have a more resourceful way to display video/movies on a Television screen. Opera browser is limited to CERTAIN forms of flash playback. Yes, it can play youtube movies, but it can't play flash video files several sites like Gamespot and Gametrailers use, nor can you use it to play .Avi video files you have lying around. How many people really spin up their Wii just to watch a low-resolution youtube video on a big screen?

Aside from using an actual PC (be it laptop or desktop), you could very well also have a 360 or PS3 which can accomplish the very same task just as well as the PC.

Play Games
    Once again, yes, it can support flash...but the adobe flash player in Opera isn't always quickly updated. How many flash games do you really frequently play through the Opera Browser, when you could be playing a fully-fledged game like Super Mario Galaxy or even a Virtual Console title?

Quickly Look Up Friend Codes
    I don't understand this argument too much. It's not like you can just "minimize" the opera browser while you're typing in the FC, so either way you're going to have to write it down on a piece of paper first before launching the game and adding the code to your Friend's List. May as well write it down as you're surfing around on the computer and sticking it next to the Wii for the next time you start the game.

For the most part, the internet channel is viewed as a novelty. Yes, it's nice to have, and I guess it really doesn't hurt at all to have it as an option, but its practicality is just severely limited. I'm sure some people have found absolutely legitimate reasons to use it over other means of surfing the web, but for the most part I view it as an unwise investment.

Member #
    Friends
    4582-2966-2869-3861
    Internet channel is great for watching multimedia on your Wii (daily motion,youtube etc.

Wii online number: 4582 2966 2869 3861
    Wii username: davor

Games: | Wii Sports | Zelda:TP | Super Mario Galaxy |

Member #
    Friends
    Even though I downloaded the Internet Channel, I don't seem to use it at all. I think I downloaded it simply because it was free and I could use it if and when I am bored while playing my Wii console. My main connection to the World Wide Web is through my PC.

The key to immortality is first living a life
    worth remembering. - Bruce Lee

PSN ID: Byuakuya

Member #
    Friends
    4496-9128-1304-3457
    I downloaded it when it was free. Too bad to anyone that missed out on that. I decided to keep it for now. It's a great thing to have when you are playing a computer game and want to look something up online. I know there's ALT+Tab, but that can drain serious RAM when you are running high end games. It has a lot of benefits, almost a second computer at times. You guys know it can run MSN and AIM?

Ads