LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidD
    You moron. Really, who really is going to steal your crappy connection? Besides, the Wii doesn't take up a lot of the bandwith.
    Anyone who finds your open connection. I teach at a local High School and you wouldn't believe the number of kids I have heard say they use their neighbor's WiFi to download music/movies/games from the net. They'd rather screw someone else than get caught when their parents get arrested/sued,

In the US there are two laws affecting WiFi connections. 1. The host is legally responsible for any and all activity. 2. It is illegal to use a WiFi connection without authorized consent from the owner.

I just hope your parents don't end up getting a letter from their local DA and RIAA because you were too naive to lock it down.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

Member #
    Friends
    6555-2844-7958-4986
    You know, I really suck at explaining things, so just look at this article:
    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_0110
    this guy says what i want to say to you guys but am not good enough to explain it to you douches.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    I dont have have security on mines. But not because I dont want it, but when I set it up, I cant get my wireless connection to work :P Then again I never really tried to figure it out, I probably could but since the chances of someone stealing my connection is very very low I dont bother. Besides I have command prompt open so if someone is using my network who doesnt live in my house I can see the ping start to rise which will give me suspicion, but its never happened. I could steal my neighbors if I wanted to, but its waay to slow to be worth it, especially when I have my own.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

M'bating to Z Suit Samus Atomheart's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    You know, I really suck at explaining things, so just look at this article:
    http://www.wired.com/politics/securi...tymatters_0110
    this guy says what i want to say to you guys but am not good enough to explain it to you douches.
    Just because one douche decides to leave his network open (despite an admitted list of reasons to actually secure it), it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It's entirely contrary to common sense.

Nice try, kid.

Member #
    Friends
    6555-2844-7958-4986
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomheart
    Just because one douche decides to leave his network open (despite an admitted list of reasons to actually secure it), it doesn't mean that it's a good idea. It's entirely contrary to common sense.

Nice try, kid.
    ur a complete moron. do you really think that someone is going to sit in front of your house to steal ur information and download free music. hell, i admit that i download free music and i dont give who knows it. besides, i dont know if you know, but people are finding ways to crack you wep key and from what i hear, its easy.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    Drop it already, you're waaaay off topic and out of your league. Especially if you're not familiar with networks & security, e.g. cracking WEP and emulating TCP/IP...that was a fun undergrad assignment.
    MOHH2 username: sushinut
    I have: Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Elebits, RE4, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic, GHIII w/ 2 guitars, MOHH2, SMG, RE: UC

Member #
    Friends
    Wow, I just love being called a moron (by inclusion that I'm one of "those" people who feel everyone should secure their WiFi).

Professionally speaking, since this stuff is part of my profession and I deal with it every day from a home level to enterprise level I feel I have earned the right to point out how foolish anyone is who thinks they don't need to secure their WiFi.

1. People DO sit in front of homes/businesses to get free internet access. Those people are usually doing something illegal (estimations are upwards of %78). YOU are legally responsible for ALL activity on your Internet connection. If you leave the WiFi unprotected, you are STILL liable.

2. RE: Command prompt. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!?!?! Please tell me you are. Your ping will not significantly increase if most people are piggy-backing on your WiFi. I have to guess that you're not running a continuous ping and dumping to to a file so that you can review the history. If not, then you have no idea what's being done when you aren't pinging AND watchin the command window.

3. It's more likely that it's not someone parked outside who's stealing your WiFi, but one of your neighbors. Especially in the suburbs. Inner City locations are more likely to have "travelling" piggy-backers and they're not as obvious.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

Waiting For Tomorrow largedarry's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8861-8821-7046-6197
    I must admit that LiquidD you don't know what you're talking about. I remember when I was in school, we designed a computer program that used multiple unsecure networks to speed up your internet (even had the general thesis to sell the extra bandwidth available). One of my room mates never secured is network, and I used to screw with it all the time. Locking out specific MAC addresses, periodically rebooting the router, change the login password, etc.

Basically if you live in the city, secure your network. I lived in an appartment for a year and never payed for internet once, there were 2 different wireless routers available to me.

To the OP, have you entered all the WEP or WPA key? Do you broadcast your SSID? If no, did you manually enter it correctly into the Wii? Have you set your routers firewall up to allow the Wii to access the internet correctly?
    "There are many causes that I am prepared to die for but no causes that I am prepared to kill for." Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi

"I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am."

I wish everyone would read the damn manual instead of posting a post about a dumbass question like the one asked in this thread.

Ads