LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]

Connection Problems with Linksys

I am having connection problems with my Wii to my Linksys WRT54G router. I can connect with no wireless security enabled on my router. When I use WEP encryption I cannot connect. I tried the following I upgraded the firmware, reset the router multiple times, reset the IPs, changed my IP range to 192.168.2.x, played around with every channel possible, and still no luck. Can anybody give me some advice as to why I cannot connect.

Thanks!

Member #
    Friends
    Sounds like you're not configuring both the Wii and the router with the same info. Also, I suggest WPA not WEP as WEP sucks for protection.

Things to change on the router.
    Router Password: Change this from the default. Use upper/lower case, alpha/numeric and non-standard character/s (like $#@!)
    SSID: Don't use the default. Set this so it's NOT broadcast.
    WPA, TKIP, 8 character key (follow password rules).
    Lastly, but option is MAC Address filtering. You'll have to find the MAC Address of the devices you want to connect to the router (I don't know the screen on the Wii off the top of my head, but it's obvious once you see it). The MAC address is in the format of 6 sets of hexadecimal numbers. Example: 00:1a:3c:af:d5:de

Once you have the router configured the way you want, you'll need to MANUALLY configure the Wii with matching info (SSID, WPA, TKIP, Key). Then it'll connect on it's own.

The only reason you should use WEP is if you have an old WiFi device which only allows for WEP (like the old DS's).

The most likely problem you're having is that you enabled encryption (WEP). When you do this, you need to manually configure the client (Wii, laptop, DS) with the key used by the router. My guess is that you didn't do that.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

Member #
    Friends
    6555-2844-7958-4986
    Just turn of security. Really, what are you trying to protect? There is no point in that damn security.
    Spoiler Alert!

Member #
    Friends
    isnt the security thing so people cant steal your connection ?

Member #
    Friends
    0336-2547-4802-3655
    Quote Originally Posted by scottmcc8
    I am having connection problems with my Wii to my Linksys WRT54G router. I can connect with no wireless security enabled on my router. When I use WEP encryption I cannot connect. I tried the following I upgraded the firmware, reset the router multiple times, reset the IPs, changed my IP range to 192.168.2.x, played around with every channel possible, and still no luck. Can anybody give me some advice as to why I cannot connect.

Thanks!

go on the computer connected to the router....then go to the website routerlogin.net

password by default is password
    screename by default is admin

then find the wep key....when the wii ask for wep key..enter that code and it should connect

Member #
    Friends
    Have you tried a different key and key length? The WRT54GS allows a longer key length than the Wii, by one alphanumeric character. I finally got WPA AES working with a slightly shorter key. I've been using WEP for a while now :P. For me security is fairly important since I'm in an apt complex in the silicon valley...crazy code monkeys all around!
    Last edited by gnahc79; 01-04-2008 at 11:43 PM.
    MOHH2 username: sushinut
    I have: Wii Play, Rayman Raving Rabbids, Elebits, RE4, Super Mario Strikers Charged, Mario & Sonic, GHIII w/ 2 guitars, MOHH2, SMG, RE: UC

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by driftking2
    go on the computer connected to the router....then go to the website routerlogin.net

password by default is password
    screename by default is admin

then find the wep key....when the wii ask for wep key..enter that code and it should connect
    ?? That site is for Netgear devices, not Linksys.
    Central Ohio: Wii via component on Mitsu 55" HD-RPTV. 94 ImpalaSS, MCSE/MCT, MS/Network Consultant.

M'bating to Z Suit Samus Atomheart's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidD
    Just turn of security. Really, what are you trying to protect? There is no point in that damn security.
    Yeah...

I suppose I'd rather not have strangers mooching my bandwidth, slowing everything down for me. And that's the least of the worries.

You really shouldn't spout crap you know little about.

Member #
    Friends
    6555-2844-7958-4986
    Quote Originally Posted by Atomheart
    Yeah...

I suppose I'd rather not have strangers mooching my bandwidth, slowing everything down for me. And that's the least of the worries.

You really shouldn't spout crap you know little about.
    You moron. Really, who really is going to steal your crappy connection? Besides, the
    Wii doesn't take up a lot of the bandwith.
    Spoiler Alert!

M'bating to Z Suit Samus Atomheart's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by LiquidD
    You moron. Really, who really is going to steal your crappy connection? Besides, the
    Wii doesn't take up a lot of the bandwith.
    Ummm...apparently you've never lived in an apartment. If you don't secure your network, everybody in the building will be mooching off of you. I know--we used to do it when we didn't have internet.

And do you even understand the concept of bandwidth? Online games use A LOT of bandwidth--more than anything else. If others are mooching, they're stealing bandwidth you need to play the game, thus causing a great deal of lag.

Duh.

Ads