Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    8799-9801-1544-7718

Codemasters CEO Doubts Wii Sustainability, Envisions 'Wii 2'

Rod Cousens, chief executive at publisher Codemasters, has been talking about Nintendo's first-party software dominance, the sustainability of the 60-year-old audience, and the possible introduction of 'Wii 2.'
    Posted by James Brightman on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
    In a lengthy interview to be published with the GameDaily BIZ newsletter Wednesday morning, Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens provided some interesting commentary on the current console war and Nintendo's incredible success with the Wii and DS to date.

Cousens, like other third-party publishers, lamented the fact that Nintendo always dominates software sales on its own platforms. "The global event that's been marked as a surprise for most people is the huge success that Nintendo's achieved in every territory... The challenge that third-party software publishers face in supporting that market is that it's clearly a market dominated by the first party and always has been," he said. "If you look back at the Nintendo track record over the last 20-25 years, it's a typical situation where Nintendo will take 60-70 percent of the market and third parties will compete for the remaining 40 percent. One of the challenges is: will that result in a sudden flood of software by third parties onto a platform that's currently seen as the Holy Grail, and as a consequence there's a lot of wastage?"

Later in the interview he added, "If you go back to the Nintendo model when it first started you had a five-product license and so one of the ways in which software publishers dealt with that was to go and buy a competitor so you could increase your output to 10. It was a way of managing product outflow both from a first- and third-party perspective, but it was always done on the basis that even if you bought up another five-product license you still knew the available share to you was something on the order of 40 percent and that the product flow, which was cartridge-based at the time, seemed to be managed in a way so that's how it folded out. Well, I'm not so sure that the current wave is any different, because I hear there's manufacturing shortages, and too much software... and these are all consistent characteristics."

Cousens then touched on the ideas that the 60-year-old "Brain Training" market may dry up and Nintendo may need to launch a "Wii 2" sooner than we think.

"I think this cycle has got a long way to go and it's certainly not over. Anyone writing off Sony and Microsoft do so at their peril. I could give you an argument that says there's going to be a 'Wii 2' pretty quickly because [Nintendo would need one] in order to sustain momentum over a 10-year period. And what type of software would it have then? Because right now it isn't driven by technological supremacy or power. I wonder if the idea of opening up a whole new audience to 60-year-olds looking to make sure their brain cells don't die off is a sustainable form of entertainment. Maybe they got it right because we are all an aging population in Western markets, but I somehow think as a form of entertainment that won't be the case," he concluded.

The complete interview talks about Codemasters' best year in its 22-year history and how the U.K.-based publisher is continuing to evolve as it targets the U.S. market with a greater focus.

heres the link

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-2/19021/?biz=

this guys a hater, man

Call of Duty FC : 3480 6196 6904
    Onslaught FC : 3180 1649 9648
    The Conduit - 1891 9137 3932 ( Mr Vihang)

2. Ads

Member #
    Friends
    He's acting as if all the Wii games were made like Big Brain Academy...
    True Eminence Car Club

Sam Houston State University

Member #
    Friends
    5829-6041-2098-5107
    And what games have they put out for the Wii? The sub-mediocre Heatseeker? I think they had better worry a little less about Nintendo market dominance or marketing strategy and a little more about the quality of the games themselves. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Member #
    Friends
    I dont even understand wtf he was saying other than saying Wii has too many casual games.

But w/e Codemasters suck. I was always suprised when anyone would say Codemasters were good. I only see Overlord which is a decent game and Turning Point: Fall of Liberty which could possibly be their best game if it turns out good.
    Mod Edit: Image removed. Some users may find it offensive and inappropriate.
    SSBB FC: ????-????-???? (New Wii, so I gotta check)
    Gamertag: T3kNi9e
    Been playing alot of WarCraft III lately, anyone up for game? Just message me, my account is the same as here and GT.

Member #
    -=CLASSIFIED=- Number of Kills: Over 100000 Bounty Earned: $925786857
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by T3kNi9e
    I dont even understand wtf he was saying other than saying Wii has too many casual games.

But w/e Codemasters suck. I was always suprised when anyone would say Codemasters were good. I only see Overlord which is a decent game and Turning Point: Fall of Liberty which could possibly be their best game if it turns out good.
    Not IMO. Go check out RF Online, and if you don't know where to find it, just click my Mii Profile and find out!

^Thanks for the sweet sig, manred!^
    Online Wii Games: BWII, MSC, Medal of Honor 2: Heroes, and SSBB
    MoH: H2 Persona: Jonny Rambo
    MSC Name: Gabe
    BWII Name: Gabriel
    SSBB Name: GaS
    SSBB FC: 0130-1580-5884

prez , you suck :p in touch with the wii's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    5767-9309-0719-3080
    dont say i didnt tell you
    look for wii 2 and the company called splashpower around 2010

Member #
    Friends
    yup codemasters suck...only like rf:online it one of the best rpgs i played.... but they dont care much about it now s its free
    wii game playing: GH3
    wii friend code:1778 9634 2151 5464
    gh3 code:502628796471

Member #
    -=CLASSIFIED=- Number of Kills: Over 100000 Bounty Earned: $925786857
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo
    yup codemasters suck...only like rf:online it one of the best rpgs i played.... but they dont care much about it now s its free
    Do you still play it?

^Thanks for the sweet sig, manred!^
    Online Wii Games: BWII, MSC, Medal of Honor 2: Heroes, and SSBB
    MoH: H2 Persona: Jonny Rambo
    MSC Name: Gabe
    BWII Name: Gabriel
    SSBB Name: GaS
    SSBB FC: 0130-1580-5884

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by vashivihan
    Rod Cousens, chief executive at publisher Codemasters, has been talking about Nintendo's first-party software dominance, the sustainability of the 60-year-old audience, and the possible introduction of 'Wii 2.'
    Posted by James Brightman on Tuesday, January 08, 2008
    In a lengthy interview to be published with the GameDaily BIZ newsletter Wednesday morning, Codemasters CEO Rod Cousens provided some interesting commentary on the current console war and Nintendo's incredible success with the Wii and DS to date.

Cousens, like other third-party publishers, lamented the fact that Nintendo always dominates software sales on its own platforms. "The global event that's been marked as a surprise for most people is the huge success that Nintendo's achieved in every territory... The challenge that third-party software publishers face in supporting that market is that it's clearly a market dominated by the first party and always has been," he said. "If you look back at the Nintendo track record over the last 20-25 years, it's a typical situation where Nintendo will take 60-70 percent of the market and third parties will compete for the remaining 40 percent. One of the challenges is: will that result in a sudden flood of software by third parties onto a platform that's currently seen as the Holy Grail, and as a consequence there's a lot of wastage?"

Later in the interview he added, "If you go back to the Nintendo model when it first started you had a five-product license and so one of the ways in which software publishers dealt with that was to go and buy a competitor so you could increase your output to 10. It was a way of managing product outflow both from a first- and third-party perspective, but it was always done on the basis that even if you bought up another five-product license you still knew the available share to you was something on the order of 40 percent and that the product flow, which was cartridge-based at the time, seemed to be managed in a way so that's how it folded out. Well, I'm not so sure that the current wave is any different, because I hear there's manufacturing shortages, and too much software... and these are all consistent characteristics."

Cousens then touched on the ideas that the 60-year-old "Brain Training" market may dry up and Nintendo may need to launch a "Wii 2" sooner than we think.

"I think this cycle has got a long way to go and it's certainly not over. Anyone writing off Sony and Microsoft do so at their peril. I could give you an argument that says there's going to be a 'Wii 2' pretty quickly because [Nintendo would need one] in order to sustain momentum over a 10-year period. And what type of software would it have then? Because right now it isn't driven by technological supremacy or power. I wonder if the idea of opening up a whole new audience to 60-year-olds looking to make sure their brain cells don't die off is a sustainable form of entertainment. Maybe they got it right because we are all an aging population in Western markets, but I somehow think as a form of entertainment that won't be the case," he concluded.

The complete interview talks about Codemasters' best year in its 22-year history and how the U.K.-based publisher is continuing to evolve as it targets the U.S. market with a greater focus.

heres the link

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-2/19021/?biz=

this guys a hater, man
    In my opinion, he is just another one of many developers who didnt/ don't take the wii seriously. This comentary is to be expected.

Quote Originally Posted by gort
    And what games have they put out for the Wii? The sub-mediocre Heatseeker? I think they had better worry a little less about Nintendo market dominance or marketing strategy and a little more about the quality of the games themselves. Sounds like sour grapes to me.
    I agree. Isn't it ironic that Nintendo is made out to be the "bad guy" because it actualy makes the best games on it's own system? Why don't these devlopers step up their own games to match Nintendo's quality instead of whining about how they can't compete on Nintendo platforms?

He meantions the wii's lack of processing power. The N64 was the most powerfull and the Game cube was in the middle, powerwise. What was their excuse than?

Quote Originally Posted by K LoLo
    He's acting as if all the Wii games were made like Big Brain Academy...
    Yes, I noticed that. The wii have much more than casual games on it and more are comming.

His interview merely reflects the overall precption of the wii as a fad and a toy, something to not take seriously as a gaming console, and this attitude is reflected in the guality of software made for it, his company included.
    Last edited by romj; 01-09-2008 at 12:20 PM.

Guru of everything Ninty wezeles's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    6074-3351-1151-1701
    Its really sad.. over and over again

First they Admit they have lost the console war to nintendo.

now all these Critis and Developers are in Denial about it because they know with the nintendo fan base nintendo is the #1 developer and not the 3rd party...

Eventually they will Accept Nintendo being the dominate console.

They will then Move On And try to make some Games that will sell on the Wii... and they cant make crap because we wont buy it... it better be pretty good to compete

I think the finnal step is Informing Others of there mistakes and apologize for them.

but thats basically how it works and how its going to happen... i may have skiped 1 or 7 steps along the way but the finnal product is the same... its life get over it your loosing Accept,Adapt,Evolve, Or Die all you can do

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Ads