LoginRegister
Nintendo Wii / Wii U Forum
+ Reply to Thread
    Member #
    Friends
    Wii Friend Code: $post[field5]
    3099-0319-5478-2979

Iwata Is Super Positive

Japanese site Yukan Fuji posted an interview on the 18th with Nintendo President Satoru Iwata. In the interview, Iwata shares some thoughts on 2007 and discusses overall strategy for the new year.

Since Nintendo is now officially richer than the US government, we're going to refer to Iwata as "President Iwata" for the rest of this story.

The site first made mention of Nintendo's stock price, which rose from 30,000 yen at the start of last year to, at one point, over 70,000 yen. Replied President Iwata, "Thanks to everyone, last year was a good year. The Nintendo DS crossed the 20,000,000 mark, which has been called the limit for game hardware sales. We put in a lot of effort, but we also had a stronger than expected tail wind."

Nintendo apparently didn't expect the kind of success it's had. Continued the President, "To say 'we expected it to sell' would be vain. If we had known the Wii and DS would expand so dramatically in such a short time, we wouldn't have had shortages, nor would we have had to raise our financial forecasts."

President Iwata showed a soft side when Fuji made note of press coverage suggesting that product shortages were a part of Nintendo's strategy. "[When I see those types of articles], I honestly feel sad," said Iwata. "Game machine production amounts are set about half a year in advance, so they cannot be easily changed. The concept of the Wii is 'a machine that makes people who play it smile.' We wouldn't use a strategy that is at odds with smiling. Getting as many people as possible to show us their smiles when playing a Nintendo game -- that's the energy source that drives us."

Asked for some insight into Nintendo's goals for the new year, Iwata replied, "This year we will release a new system. That is, of course, a joke. Our goal is to show our 'answer' to how to make sure the game population that has increased through the Wii and DS doesn't end as a short-lived boom. Even with the DS, there are still things left to do."

Despite its success, Nintendo doesn't appear ready to enter into a protective mode. "Things grow bad the moment they're left in the same position," explained Iwata. "In particular, people can grow tired of entertainment such as games, so in order to make sure the consumers who took up the DS and Wii don't loose interest, new ideas like Wii Fit will become essential from here on out."

"This year, we'll try a number of things to keep the game population expansion continuing."

The site closed off by noting that Iwata is "positive as usual." Replied Iwata with laughter. "Yes, I am super positive. In this business (being a company president) if you're not positive, you'll immediately get weakened and won't be able to continue. Also, if I didn't have a positive outlook, I definitely wouldn't be able to say something like 'expand the gaming population.'"
    Source:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/846/846613p1.html

CantGetAWii
    ProudWii60Owner

'I don't want to go back, I want a new day & age.'

Retired Moderator-[PM]

Brawl FC: 4682-8172-0512 [PM for add]
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumn0ob
    So all we have to do to become mods is be online all time I can do that on break which is now

Confiscation of the Mind iOwnage's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    8957-2822-1883-9918
    Quote Originally Posted by CantGetAWii
    Since Nintendo is now officially richer than the US government, we're going to refer to Iwata as "President Iwata" for the rest of this story.
    LMAO

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Member #
    Friends
    Lawl at the President remark.
    Well, another typical and interesting article. Great post bub.
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Member #
    Friends
    6636-1630-0874-1365
    Are they seriously richer than the government? Pobably a joke.
    Arguing Over The Internet Is Like Participating In The Special Olympics, Even If You Win You Are Still Retarded.
    Super Smash Bros Brawl:
    2320-5790-2320

Mario Strikers friend code:
    494028-363289

Member #
    Friends
    Isn't the US Government like 900 billion dollars in debt?

Member #
    Friends
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiily Good
    if thats the case, then everyone is richer then the government

Mario Kart here I come!!! jjrules352's Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    It is in debt but not by that much anyway they wont need to pay back for the moment as Europe nows that if it asks for it's money back its a new worldwide economical deppression!

Great post, Iwata'll probably announce a new revolutionary system like the balance board at E3

liv buy a wii and play it

Mario strikers football Charged rules

Even do I reaaali suck

pm for for fc (europe only)

Am I Losing Friends? +Maniacal=Maniac+'s Avatar
    Member #
    Friends
    4516-7863-9846-6018
    Richer Than US Gov, LAWL!

Great Job, President Iwata. Great Job.

Meh

Member #
    Friends
    Nope, try 9 trillion.
    With much love, 261311.

Quote Originally Posted by JT.
    Maybe it's implying yoshi is an animal, and not just a mutated green prostitute mario likes to ride
    -=Join the Waluigi Fan Club=-

Ads